Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2022, 09:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2017 Itasca Sunova a lemon?

anybody else have to replace a leveler ram, have a washer/dryer needing 3 service visits before finally fixed, lousy fit and finish,sink taps that need to be replaced already,1 of 2 roof heat pump(AC) units that fail, spray foam undercoating applied that covered a gas tank vent(almost resulting in motor damage) that the dealer declined to deal with their contractor about this,Ford dash AC that failed twice in 2 years(from new),side window curtains that fall off,1 of 6 slideout motors fail(3 slideouts),front TV failing to retract?
All in all, in the first 36 months of ownership, it spent about 12 months in service.
That being said, I don't do computer well at all, so I hope this is being done correctly, and that I can find any responses.
Dan Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and Welcome,

Sorry to hear about your issues with you RV. I have the Winnebago version - they are really identical - and bought it new as well. We’ve had a few issues which is totally common. We keep our Adventurer away from any dealership and use an independent RV repair shop. But most repairs we figure out on our own and take care of them ourselves. Honestly, the dealer is the worst place to go for repairs.

It sounds like the majority of your major issues are with parts supplied by 3rd party companies - A/Cs, Washer/Dayer, Jacks, etc.

RV ownership is a never ending list of problems to tackle. We use ours a lot (42,000 mi) and deal with problems one at a time and enjoy the heck out of it.

One note: your Sunova, like my Adventurer, is 5-years old this year. And it was likely built in 2016. In case you aren’t aware of it it’s probably time for new tires regardless of your mileage, and thinking about new house batteries should probably be on your agenda, too.

Hope you have better luck going forward.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Great advice on the tires and batteries. I also have a 2017 and I’m starting to look into both. With an RV there is always something on the todo list!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
Site Team

With my 2017 Adventurer, here’s my list of repairs, maybe longer than yours! While the list is long, none of these have kept us from traveling and enjoying the journey. I schedule appointments with my dealer every 6 months for maintenance and also to repair anything that has broken. La Mesa, unlike many dealers, has been really great to work with. I’m also glad I had an extended warranty. They have covered all of these issues.

BOTH AC/Heat pumps
Water heater
Water pump
1 slide motor
Screen door latch
Gas door latch
Passenger solar shade
Dinette solar shade
Front hood re-glued in place
Old 03-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

IDK what the lemon laws are in your State, or if they apply to a second owner.(Probably not)
But it might be worth checking out.
Sorry for your issues. And hope you get them resolved.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
IDK what the lemon laws are in your State, or if they apply to a second owner.(Probably not)
But it might be worth checking out.
Sorry for your issues. And hope you get them resolved.
As an FYI In almost all states Lemon Laws do not apply to RVs at all.

And Lemon Laws are concerned with safe drivability of a vehicle, not anything to do with livability items such as A/C, Laundry, window shades, etc. They are written to protect people that buy a car or truck that is not safe to drive and not fixed in a timely manner.

So, 1st owner, 2nd owner etc aren't really in play here.

The fact that this has been very frustrating and time consuming or even costly to the original poster is for certain. The only likely solution is either to keep using the coach and fixing the things that need fixed OR to sell or trade the coach on something else.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:25 PM   #7
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Macnut, since you mentioned La Mesa I figured I'd chime in. La Mesa found us our rig. We wanted a Journey and they quit making them in 2017 (have started making them again) so we bought a used one. But, every time a used one came on the internet markets it was immediately snatched up. La Mesa offered to find us one with the options we wanted. They found us one in California, I paid them to bring it to Albuquerque and I flew out from DFW and picked it up on St. Patrick's Day 2020. La Mesa met us at the airport and took us to their dealership. They treated us very well, the rig was in excellent condition just as they had represented to us, and one of their techs spent a good two hours orienting us to the rig. I would definitely do business with them again.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:15 PM   #8
Site Team

I bought our Adventurer at LeMesa Albuquerque in 2017. They were great before and during the sale. After the sale service was not good at all. Two months notice to get an appointment and everything they “fixed” was not fixed at all. After that I gave up on them and have never contacted them again.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Good to hear about different experiences with La Mesa. I think the reason I continue to use them is that they have a dedicated service facility in Davis, CA that is huge, and they assign a single tech to you. I have worked with Ron 5 years now and he really makes sure I’m taken care of.

Tags
itasca