Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 Winnebago Journey 42e w ISL 8.9L 400 hp

I know this is a broad question and since it’s my first DP here are my questions.
My new to me coach has the 400 hp engine with over 80,000 miles on it. The dealer selling us the coach has been very good and included in the sale is a complete oil change in engine and generator along with all filters. With this many miles on a 6 year old rig, what should I be looking for? Radiator is rear mounted.
Thank you.
JourneyMan.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would be inclined to take it to the Freightliner Custom Chassis Service center in Gaffney SC the next time you need an old change (annual) or for any significant service you might require. They built the chassis and understand the requirements of their products. This is not a regular Freightliner dealer so you can have high confidence in their work.
They also offer a 2 day "Camp Freightliner" there - for owners - where you will learn all you need to know about the coach chassis including operating and maintenance. You should sign up for the "camp" and can get your unit serviced while you are there. They offer several sessions but fill up quickly so book or get on a waiting list. It is likely the best money you will spend on your RV .. you will not become a mechanic but will be comfortable and understand your coach. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some of this will depend on what you plan for future needs. Do you have the manual? That would be a place to start to get to know what is recommended but how much personally involved you want to get will vary.
From there, a six year old with those miles is not at all bad so what happens next is always a good question!
If one wanted to go big and really have somebody look it over, things like brakes come to mind and taking it somewhere for a good look at that is one point.
But for personal choice things to do, lubing almost everything that moves like door hinges and latches, getting to know what things do when starting and how they operate can be big. Small things like what does the furnace do when starting, so that you will know if it suddenly changes.
Lots of small points and many will likely just shake out as you learn the RV but those are ones I would want to know upfront. What does this switch do is better worked out BEFORE we need the switch!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
Site Team

I second the suggestion to head to Gaffney, SC.

The 2-day course isn't free but it's super valuable (I've been told, I don't have a Diesel).

There is also a Freightliner Service Center in Ocala that might be a good place to have your RV checked over by someone not involved in the sale:

Ocala Freightliner
3950 West Highway 326 Ocala, FL 34482

There is an authorized Freightliner dealer in Tampa, but I don't see any mention of RVs. The Ocala service center above does mention RVs.
877-840-0070
Old 05-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks BobMac. When I was going through the manuals I found that the previous owner had gone through the training in Gaffney so I will read them and sign up for the 2 day camp.

Tags
journey, winnebago