Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2023, 10:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37 Instrument Panel

I have a 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F.
Has anybody had issues while driving down the road during daylight hours and unable to see the entire instrument panel?
There are times, depending on the time of day and which direction you are traveling, the instrument panel becomes difficult to see. There is an overhang from the dash that is over part of the panel. Has anyone ever installed supplemental lighting to the panel more clearly?

I did a search and was unable to find any assistance.

Thanks
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is this a problem when daylight and th elights are not on so that the dash is shaded? Or is it a problem that the instrument lighting is not turned high enough?
When running in bright sunlight, I find that having the dash backlit is one way to solve the shading.
At other times, I find using sunglasses to keep my eyes focused will help.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Team

I have the same model only 2017 (and Winnebago) and don't have any problems seeing the gauges. I think we have the exact same instrument panel and dash.

We only drive during the day - so I'm almost always wearing sunglasses. Sometimes I have to lift my sunglasses and lean forward to see things clearly on the IP but not so as I'd call it a problem.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Brightening up instrument cluster

Thread on the subject with ideas and links to more.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It is during daytime only as this is the only time I drive it. I have the headlights on and the knob for brightness turned all the way up. I have started the coach up at night to make the instrument panel lights work.

Maybe I should put a clip-on light above the dash that extends out over the instrument panel.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

creativepart,
Should that have to be a common practice to lift your sunglasses and lean forward to see the panel while driving down the road? That's what I have to do. Just asking.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yep I had the same problem during daylight hours. Lowering the windshield shade helps but not enough. Last spring I replaced all the instrument cluster bulbs with LEDs. It is now quite bright enough to see at a glance with the headlights/parking lights on. The only thing that is still too dim to see is the LCD display showing the odometer, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

The bulbs are polarity sensitive so if one doesn’t light, reverse it in the socket. Best six bucks I’ve spent in a while.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreplug View Post
creativepart,
Should that have to be a common practice to lift your sunglasses and lean forward to see the panel while driving down the road? That's what I have to do. Just asking.
It is for me, I’m 73. I do this often for many things. I don’t do it often for looking at the IP, just occasionally and just for a brief second.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

thompwil,
Thanks for the insight and link.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Same Issue

I have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B with the same problem. I ordered LED's, but no improvement. I then went to Ford and ordered original replacements. Next was trying to mount a light above the instrument panel, then below. Nothing helps. Really thought maybe I was losing my eyesight. Thank goodness that is not the case.
My issue is also during daylight even with the panel lights turned on. I also do not drive at night. The only fix I have found so far is to use my Garmin GPS for speed. The fuel gauge can not be seen at all without stopping.
I am anxious to hear others solutions to the problem.
Horse54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:45 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I put a 1 foot strip of led lights behind the panel - and hooked them into the existing dash light dimmer. A world of difference! Make sure you buy the dimmable led strip lights, and make sure they are 12 volts, not the common 5 volt version. It was definitely worth the effort.

Best of luck!
Old 04-03-2023, 06:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Danhannah...Can you share more details about the light? Such as what kind(brand, length, etc) and where you bought it? I looked on Amazon and there are many to choose from, but I want to get it right the first time.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:18 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Travelling from Sunny Palm Springs into some hellish north destination. Hope I have a breakdown... So I don't have time for a [play by play.

But Amazon "12 volt strip lights for car" and choose a very white color. Make sure it has ends you can connect to your existing dash lights. You can cut the strips with scissors anywhere the scissors icon is on the strip. Check if they are dimmable.

Here's a sample:

https://www.amazon.com/Geeon-Waterpr...s%2C161&sr=8-3

best of Luck

I

Tags
panel, itasca, suncruiser