Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2013 Journey 4x4 Matrix problem

Our Matrix had been working fine. It is still working as it should on 3 of the 4 TV's. On the one not working when you push the button you get the 4 blue flashing lights and then it turns to red which is supposed to mean a HDMI cable disconnected. Pulled the cover to get to the back of the tv and all is good their. So dropped the Matrix down so i could get to the back of it and all seams good. Have not called Pace yet.
Sprint parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

After several hours of searching found the problem. The IR box had lost power. Fix that and it is back to working!
Sprint parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Did you replace the IR box or did you only need to reconnect it to power?
Glad you have it fixed.
Eagle5
Old 06-04-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Site Team

The "IR Box" is called a "Balun," a network connection device. The one in my RV's bedroom failed right away after buying the RV. So, I just bypassed it and put a Roku on that TV and added a Blueray player to it too. The RV was so new to me that I had no idea what that box was or what it did. The failed Balun is still mounted there below the TV cabinet.

The Balun in the living room failed a couple of years later with the flashing blue and green screens, too. I tried replacing the power supply but that didn't fix it so I bought a new Balun from Pace. It was $50. Pace initially thought it was the HDMI Matrix itself and they sent me a new one to test out. When that didn't fix anything they had me send it back and gave me a refund on the purchase.

When that living room Balun went bad I was sorely tempted to just bypass it as well. We only watch TV via a Roku for streaming and instead of having a Roku on the HDMI Matrix Sat receiver input I could have just as easily put the Roku on the TV in the living room and done away with the Matrix entirely.

I didn't do that because a) it was only $50 to replace the Balun and b) I like to keep the RV as OEM standard as possible for that day in the future that we sell it.

The Balun on the outside TV has always worked just fine. I don't know why - it seems to have the roughest life out there near the elements.

Here's one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Pace-Electron.../dp/B00X6C6ZQ2
Old 06-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Creativepart,
Interesting history on those boxes.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-05-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Team

I also had problems with my HDMI matrix and decided to replace the unit for this one.

https://a.co/d/g9QU54e

It’s a much smaller unit and has been very reliable.
To maintain a connection to the bedroom TV, I used these. One connects at each end, bypassing the balun.

https://a.co/d/hkaTdEz

I can’t use the DVD remote in the bedroom, though I can watch what is playing on the DVD player, but never used that anyway. I also took out the balun in the bedroom at plugged it with a piece of matching wood from Winnebago which I already had from another project. Looks like it was built that way.

I also have an Apple TV hooked to both TVs, which is our primary way of watching TV. I added another matrix just to keep most of the capabilities of the original system.

Hope this info is helpful or at least interesting!
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Hey Al, those are great solutions. And, much cheaper than buying stuff from Pace or Winnebago. Pace sells the 4x4 HDMI Matrix for $250 and Winnebago has it in their parts catalog for over $500!!.

I don't know why I care so much about maintaining the OEM system. I don't really use it as intended. Plus we almost never use the Blueray Home Theater system either. I think we've used it on one campground stay in 3+ years. A year ago on Memorial Day weekend we were in a State Park in Memphis that had zero cell service. So, we watched DVDs that weekend. There was a cell tower about 1/2 mile away but as you drove into the State Park you could see bars drop to zero. Even with boosters and multiple antennas there was just nothing.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Yeah, it sounds like we use ours systems pretty similarly, with us using AppleTV and you on Roku. 90% of the time we seem to have good coverage for our hot spot. Streaming is a great way to go if you have a good cell plan and good coverage! Just in case, I usually download a few movies onto my iPhone before a trip, and if needed, I connect the iPhone to the TV using the 4x2 matrix.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey