Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question 2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise roof

Lost the roof in high winds and the insurance has declined the claim, their reason is roof was not maintained properly as it was not inspected every 6 months as required, roof was inspected by large RV dealer (Manteca Trailer) 12 or 13 months ago and found no problems, adjuster says water damage caused the roof to come off, service people at RV shop say there is no sign of water damage and wind caused the roof to come off my question is does Winnebago require or recommend inspection every 6 months and how are we the owners supposed to know this, i have owned this RV 15 years and live in the same house and never received anything from Winnebago telling me to do this and many trips to RV shops one time to have roof inspected and they never said anything about inspect every 6 months and where it is now service ha to call Winnebago to see if this is true so i ask how am i supposed to know this.
Any suggestions State of California insurance commish or Lawyer estimate for new fiberglass roof over 16K
Putput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear about your problem.

A friend had a similar problem with his home. The insurance company would not offer a reasonable settlement. My friend had extensive photo evidence. A very long story short:

He hired a insurance consultant (perhaps with a law background) and got a near 100% settlement (anything without photo documentation was rejected).
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hire a Lawyer. That usually gets their attention.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Winnebago currently warrants roofs for 10-years. I don't know if that's for original owners only or not. And, what they did 16+ years ago?????

I think they mention checking the roof periodically. But if your insurance requires every 6-months then that's what they would go by.

What kind of insurance by the way? Vehicle insurance or Extended Service insurance?

Be careful getting a lawyer, that immediately changes how your insurance company will deal with you - or most likely not at all.

That price seems pretty high. There is a guy in Phoenix that has a YouTube channel that does a lot of Winnebago roof replacements. Check out AZ EXPERT on YouTube.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Be careful getting a lawyer, that immediately changes how your insurance company will deal with you - or most likely not at all.
That's absurd. The insurance company is already ignoring them. What change would you look for?
Old 02-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
That's absurd. The insurance company is already ignoring them. What change would you look for?
Well, thanks Jim. Tell me how you really feel.

I reserve the right to stick with my original opinion and I'll do my best not to tell you what I think of yours.

OK?
Old 02-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well, thanks Jim. Tell me how you really feel.

I reserve the right to stick with my original opinion and I'll do my best not to tell you what I think of yours.

OK?
OK, That was a little blunt. I apologize for that.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

IMO , Winnebago engineered a stupid roof system. The edges are held in a J channel by sealant that must be inspected all the time. They put out a maintenance flyer that very few owners ever saw, insurance companies use it as an excuse to deny coverage. If you watch the videos of AZ Expert, you will watch him replace the roof on my 04 Suncruiser. It was not cheap and every cent came out of my pocket. He does do excellent work.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
Site Team

We've all wondered what James charges for that work. Any chance you feel comfortable tell us what it cost for you?

WBGO has used this build method for 2-3 decades. They must like it. It does seem less than ideal.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Get a lawyer. If they were reasonable and willing to help then you would be ok they aren’t so let your lawyer deal with them. Does someone think that if you don’t hire a lawyer then they will magically come to a different conclusion because now they like you because you didn’t get a lawyer? [rude comment removed]
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have to ask what insurance company. As my National Sea Breeze is the same age and do all my own maintenance including the roof as required by my owners manual.
Thanks in Advance
Larry
2004 National Sea Breeze
Old 03-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putput View Post
Lost the roof in high winds and the insurance has declined the claim, their reason is roof was not maintained properly as it was not inspected every 6 months as required, roof was inspected by large RV dealer (Manteca Trailer) 12 or 13 months ago and found no problems, adjuster says water damage caused the roof to come off, service people at RV shop say there is no sign of water damage and wind caused the roof to come off my question is does Winnebago require or recommend inspection every 6 months and how are we the owners supposed to know this, i have owned this RV 15 years and live in the same house and never received anything from Winnebago telling me to do this and many trips to RV shops one time to have roof inspected and they never said anything about inspect every 6 months and where it is now service ha to call Winnebago to see if this is true so i ask how am i supposed to know this.
Any suggestions State of California insurance commish or Lawyer estimate for new fiberglass roof over 16K

Pretty plainly stated on the first page of the Maintenance Section of your Operators Manual that came in the Black Back that Winnebago provided with the coach:

"CAUTION
Sealants must be inspected every 6 months and resealed if necessary.

ROOF
The roof is made of Thermo-Panel materials like the walls and floor. It will support the weight of an average adult should it become necessary to repair the roof or roof mounted components. It is not recommended, however, that very large or heavy objects be carried on the roof while the ve-hicle is in motion. (See page 4-1 for roof loading specifications.) Always have damage to the roof area repaired immediately. Damaged or detached sealant around the vents, air conditioner, body-to-roof seams, etc., should also receive immedi-ate attention. Delaying these repairs may allow water leakage and result in damage to interior ceiling and body panels, upholstery, etc."

See: https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../04Sunrise.pdf

If the dealer who maintained it and certified it was good did not use the required sealant which is Manus Bond Urethane Adhesive Sealant and not just a Silicon Caulk then you may be able to hold him liable especially if he advised you to stretch out the required maintenance schedule.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Yep, it's in the manual for our 2006 Winnebago Sightseer.

I climb up there every so often and look it over. I have replaced the adhesive/sealant once already since we've owned the unit (four years). It wasn't that hard of a job, just time consuming to make sure that it was really clean before piping in the ManusBond 75. That stuff gets tacky pretty quickly, even working in the shade.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

A lot of people seem to get the impression that it mandates replacement of the adhesive Manus Bond every 6 months however it only really states that you should inspect it every 6 months and touch up any problem areas where you noted any damage. That could be from leaning something against the side of the coach or kissing a low branch on a tree. Its really just common sense that you check for roof damage and loss of the sealants integrity twice a year. Some people damage the adhesive sealant when buffing too aggressively, by scrubbing with an overly stiff brush or if they choose to use a pressure washer.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We've all wondered what James charges for that work. Any chance you feel comfortable tell us what it cost for you?

WBGO has used this build method for 2-3 decades. They must like it. It does seem less than ideal.
I'd appreciate a dollar figure as well.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It came out to about $250 a foot. Additionally, he had to replace the skylight and I had him replace the vents as well. All extra.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, roof, winnebago