Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2003 Minnie F450 329B. Outside Radio, no power

Friend has a 2003 Minnie F450 model 329B.
Outside radio and 12volt not getting power. Does anyone have idea short of checking fuses under driver dash cannot figue why it is not working.
Which fuse might this be attaced to?

Thanks.
GaryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

More detail may help to pin it down better?
Do you mean only the radio 12Volt is not there or are there other 12volt not working?
Are you able to access the radio wiring to look for a code stamped on the wires that tell what circuit is involved?
If you can get to the wires on radio back, there should be something like a 2 or 3 digit code stamped there.
With that code, one can then go to this chart to decode where that wire comes from and goes to as well as it often gives what purpose that wire serves.
I do not see the exterior radio on the drawings to chase down where and which fuse or breaker would be involved.
If there are other 12volt items involved that would be good to know which and where as it would likely mean a larger problem which is often easier to chase than one small part of a larger outage.

There are fuses at the load center just inside the entry door but I suspect this may be in a group out under the front hood??
Perhaps in the group which feeds the normal auto group things like horn, headlights, etc?

Need more specifics if you have some!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Outside 12v

Thank you for the reply.
Let me find out more info from back wiring if i can.
It is all 12volt at the outside access intertainment center. 120v receptacles are fine.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

FWIW over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 01:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sorry, I failed to add the link to the ID chart.
That makes it much harder to read from your end??

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Yes, it is true that many faults are bad ground, so if you can sort if the power or the ground is missing, it will be a start!

Not finding much to guide us on the drawings. Finding more where the power is NOT, than where it IS!

Not shown as these which are very close at the load center just inside the door but none that are labeled and one empty slot shown, which leaves us guessing. Logic might say they would use that slot as handy for the exterior radio but it is not shown???

Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	184865

Name:	radio1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	184866

If a power missing problem and not at load center nor at the one near the driver, best guess might be out under the hood??
But that is part of the chassis provided in lots of cases and we get little to no help there as it is considered chassis problem, not Winnebago issue!
They have different ways ot thinking of trouble than us folks out here trying to figure things!
Old 12-28-2022, 06:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you.
Appears that the wires from what i can tell are labled JA or JA1 for the radio and JA2 for the cig / dc receptacle.
All fuses on the power center are ok, so guess may be from either from fusebox at drivers side or under hood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221227_120434.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	184871   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221227_122654.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	184872  

Old 12-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

OK! Now we can see where it goes.
Your circuit JA is not a big help on ID as it is kind of generic for lots of things but it does let me find it really easy just scanning on the drawings and I did find the plug.
The two wire plug is the one we might want to check first as it has JA as battery and JP as gound and those are both the vital things we need to check.

I did some snips to cut the clutter down to what we need to look at for this issue.
click these snips or go direct for the whole story.

This drawing is what I looked at for info:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_142308.pdf

Looking at sheet 2 of that drawing, the plug is at where 7 and D would cross.
following JP it goes down and direct to the ground buss bar. Shown on same page?

Name:	jp.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	184875
If you can test which is missing on the two wire plug, you can cut the chase in half and only search out the missing one! But if needing to find the buss bas for ground, it is likely attached/bolted directly on the frame. Possibly behind the batteries? Note that there may be more than one ground buss bar, so count the wires and ID before assuming you have the correct one! The wires should have the same ID stamp at each end.

The power comes to the radio plug on JA from the fuse panel. But we have to look at two sheets to get the full path. There is too much info for one page so they are laid out as bing several pages laid side by side, so the line for JP leaves sheet two at top left and comes back onto the drawings at sheet 2 frame 2 at top right! Printed out and laid in a line, it makes sense!

It is hard to see on the computer after posting but JA goes out to left as I have posted here and comes back at right on a much smaller snip where it goes to the fuse panel.

But on the way it also feeds a TV wallplate??? One might need to check if that TV plate is working or not?? If missing the 12Volts side, checking that plate will be a clue for where the fault is found.

Yellow wire battery, white ground and one not getting there?
It may be that the fuse looks good but is not actually making connections at the mount or they can blow and not look like it at times.

See if that makes sense and let us know. Always nice to find out if we find the goose on these chases!!

EDIT: Notice that this fuse panel is the same As I mentioned in post 5 but that shows it as monitor panel and they did not mention the radio as being on that also. I'm guessing it will NOT be the fuse as that puts out several other things like the monitor panel but not to overlook that point as being the right fuse, just not labeld for ALL it feeds!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ja.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	184873   Click image for larger version

Name:	ja2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	184874  

Old 12-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Morich,

Thank You for all the wiring details. What a mess of wires in that area.

So what we did was pull the radio that he upgraded and found he had not did a very good job of splicing and wiring. He also had added an additional toggle switch to cut the power to the radio for some reason.

We found between the loosely tapped wiring and wiring to the switch that was the power issue.

In the process we shorted the power wire and found it is attached to the 15amp fuse on the power center fuse panel that JA is attached to.

Thanks again to all who tried to help.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

It is often a tangled web and once folks get in and do a few "improvements" it can get really hard to spot. Glad the info helped.

But on the other hand, if it comes around you need to work some other problem on the wiring, some of these points may help trace the new problem with less confusion?

Carry on and hope to never need the info!!
Old 12-30-2022, 06:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It will be a great resource in the future I am sure.
Thanks again.

Tags
power, radio