Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2000 35U question

We have a 2000 35U on a Ford. Just inside the door to the right is a fold out type table top. Under it at the wall is a floor register. When the furance is running only cool air comes from this register. I had thought it was a cold air return but that can't be with cool air coming out of it. So what is it ????
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I suspect that your rig has what's commonly known as a "motor-aid" heating option. This feature enables you to heat your motorhome (and your water) with heat from the engine while driving (or simply running the engine). Normally, there will be a switch on the dash that reads something like "coach heater". The vent that you describe is part of the system but is not actually a heating duct. Consequently, that register should be closed or covered up at all times. When we got our 2004 Brave, that register was covered in tape. It won't affect your heating system (motor-aid or otherwise) and it will prevent cold air from entering your coach.

If you don't have the motor-aid heating option, you should still cover the register since it means that your motorhome was designed to have the system but evidently never had it installed. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 01-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Zippo,

That vent is part of the system that heats the tanks while you are running the heating systems, it keeps the warm air circulating from the tank area. there are several other vents in your MH, one is in the Bedroom by the clothes hamper & another in the cabinet in the bathroom, although this one does not have a vent cover on it. They should never be closed off or the system will not work as planned.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I vote with Fred, never cover that vent.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

In spite of the varying opinions, the vent comes shipped from the factory sealed up. I would contact Winnebago to clarify the issue.

Jack
Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My mh is a 2004 and on a w22 but thats where a floor speaker is located. Yours is Probly totally dif but thought I would just throw it in anyway.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

2000 35U under workstation table vent purpose

The vent in question is for the "Motoraid" heater return air duct. The three position rocker switch labeled "Coach HTR" on the dash below the heater temperature selector controls the fan speed for the Motoraid coach heater. The Motoraid heater is located behind the hot water heater and, like the hot water heater, uses engine heat, via radiator coolant through a heat exchanger to supply supplemental heat to the coach when the engine is running. If you place a Kleenex tissue over the return vent with the Motoraid Coach HTR rocker switch on HIGH you will see the tissue is pulled against the vent.

I'm familiar with the purpose of the vent because when I purchased our 2000 35U used, the first owner had not removed all the original shipping plastic that covers the carpet (and the vents) and the Motoraid did not function very well (very low air flow). After uncovering the return vent the heater works very well. FYI: The fan motor in the Motoraid can become very noisy if not run every once in a while and are quite a bear to replace. Trust me on this one, as it took me 4 hours to remove and replace the hot water heater and access the motoraid to replace the quite expensive fan motor. (I tried to re-oil the bearings with no success before replacing the fan motor.)

Hope this info helps,

David
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Makes sense to me. I recall in other posts that people were complaining of cold air coming out of that vent. One person used a magnetic cover while others installed registers that could be closed (although these tend to be unreliable).

Jack