Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malain View Post
Thanks but l am confused some one said that with my international driver licence (only for vehicles up to 7.5 tons) we can drive any kind of RV in the States? If not so l should obtain a valid truck licence in the States.
how long does it take?
how much should l pay?
is it difficult ?
Drivers license requirements vary by state and province in North America. However there are reciprocal agreements that each jurisdiction will honor the drivers license issued by others. So for example if you are legally licensed to drive your motor home in one state the rest of North America will honor your license even if it was inadequate in a different state.

There would be a unknown area if your international license only was good for 7.5 tonnes whether or not you would be legally able to drive a motor home which may be over 20 tonnes.

Getting a license in the US would depend upon many factors including which state you were trying to get it in.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for your advices. Normally should be in the States beginning next year... meanwhile we surfing the net to select manufacturers and learning about life in RV reading blogs and forums.
The drivers license is an issue. Please consider what the following site has to offer: https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving Some states require special drivers license for the larger RVs. South Dakota does not, but Texas does. Inspections of the coach and car are not required in SD, but TX requires them when you return, after a certain period of time, if you are a resident. (Residency is for establishing vehicle and drivers licensing only.)

Please do some research on establishing a temporary residence in the USA. This may give you greater freedom to cross the international boarders and to travel through the states without jeopardizing your legal position. South Dakota, for instance, requires a US citizen to, RVing, to have a one night stay at a local campground. I don't know about your requirements. Please read this site: SD Residency FAQ. My mail forwarding is through these folks: Rates | Box Rental | Mail Forwarding | Monthly Cost | Full Service. Contact them about this topic. You never know what their experience has tough them.

If you do establish your self as a resident you must consider income taxes. SD and TX are two states that don't require any, but the US does. When making a purchase, sales tax is a consideration.

Another idea is to go to or contact the US consulate. Ask them what your best options are for what you want to do.

Sorry for being so long winded. As I wrote ideas kept popping up.

Rick Y
Old 09-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Give these guys a call.... Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
They sell a lot of used Motorhomes and know the ins and outs for those coming from across the pond. The selection is really large and if there are no issues with you buying then they can handle both the buying and selling of your unit. This is a professional organization and dealing with them reduces a lot of risk for you, especially when it comes time to sell.
Good Luck
Dick
Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks but l am confused some one said that with my international driver licence (only for vehicles up to 7.5 tons) we can drive any kind of RV in the States? If not so l should obtain a valid truck licence in the States.
how long does it take?
how much should l pay?
is it difficult ?
Look at your international driver license - it is usually in the restrictions page/section. When I had one from germany it clearly states 7.5t weight limit (including trailer).

The US works different. You can drive almost anything on a car license if it is not commercial (some state exeptions) or has more than 11 passengers (bus driver).

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 AM   #45
Winnie-Wise

We just bought a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y, travel 6 months of the year. It is a gas model and we are very comfortable in it. We thought we would have storage issues going from an MDT/38' 5th to a 36' MH. No serious storage issues at all. I know you are considering a DP but you should also consider a gas. In the states diesel is not hard to get but not as readily available as in Europe. Also, more people can work on a basic gas engine vs. a diesel.

This model we consider a starter model but have been forced to switch to a MH for medical reasons. We will probably only be rving another 10 years or so and didn't want to lay out a lot of money. We have been out in the MH for a month now and are very comfortable in it.

Gas are a lot less expensive to buy than a DP and the price of gas in the States is $1 a gal less than diesel. We also found insurance for the MH was a lot less than the MDT/5th combo. Registration and sales tax are other issues you need to consider.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
how long does it take?
how much should l pay?
is it difficult ?
If your license has the limit you need a US unrestricted regular license (car not truck). You cannot get one without a valid work visa. You might check with someone understanding this closer (I am not a legal expert).

Basically you would drive a vehicle without license otherwise. Another option is to stay in the weight limit. This would mean below 16000lbs - they are typically around 27ft. Nice size for 2 people. Our Brave 27B is 16000lbs.

Reiner
Old 09-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, an International Driver's License is essentially just a translation of your home driver's license into a number of different languages in a standard form. Your underlying home license is the one that defines what you are licensed to drive.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Not to put a damper on your plans . Just realize you will have break downs and then comes the proublems of getting it repaired . At least that is what I have found. You may have some ability to do repairs on your own that will be a big help. I assume there is some good techs out in U.S. I just haven't found one yet. Maybe you good ask people on this forum where they may be one , as you travel. I believe some people have had good luck with that. I hope the best for your travels and just wanted let you know of the grey side of traveling in MH / RV , if you have never experienced traveling in one. I don't want to discourage you, just want you to know some of the facts. I have learned to just roll with the punches. Good luck and enjoy your visit to this great U.S.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 AM   #49
Winnie-Wise

There is a website: rvservicereviews.com if you are looking for a tech. evaluation.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We just bought a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y, travel 6 months of the year. It is a gas model and we are very comfortable in it. We thought we would have storage issues going from an MDT/38' 5th to a 36' MH. No serious storage issues at all. I know you are considering a DP but you should also consider a gas. In the states diesel is not hard to get but not as readily available as in Europe. Also, more people can work on a basic gas engine vs. a diesel.

This model we consider a starter model but have been forced to switch to a MH for medical reasons. We will probably only be rving another 10 years or so and didn't want to lay out a lot of money. We have been out in the MH for a month now and are very comfortable in it.

Gas are a lot less expensive to buy than a DP and the price of gas in the States is $1 a gal less than diesel. We also found insurance for the MH was a lot less than the MDT/5th combo. Registration and sales tax are other issues you need to consider.
Thank you for your advices we are also looking at gas RV what should be the corect HP for a 38' ?
Malain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:47 AM   #51
Winnie-Wise

Ours i is362hp but they are pretty much the same Ford F53 engines. Don't get hung up on length, look at floor plans. A good floor plan can be had in a shorter length. The RV mfgs. don't think think their floor plans through for livability. The other thing you need to look at is how much weight you can care oarry. This number you may need t work at to figure. Sometimes a mfg. will tell you, sometimes not. 3000-4000 pounds should be enough. You need to figure gas, propane, water weight into that number.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 10-02-2015, 04:59 AM   #52
Winnie-Wise

Ours i is362hp but they are pretty much the same Ford F53 engines. Don't get hung up on length, look at floor plans. A good floor plan can be had in a shorter length. The RV mfgs. don't think think their floor plans through for livability. The other thing you need to look at is how much weight you can care oarry. This number you may need t work at to figure. Sometimes a mfg. will tell you, sometimes not. 3000-4000 pounds should be enough. You need to figure gas, propane, water weight into that number.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 10-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thank you for your advices we are also looking at gas RV what should be the corect HP for a 38' ?
All new gas V10 are the same engine 362hp for up to 2015 chasis. It got downrated cor 2016 however.

Before deciding on length I would consider floorplan and what you need for storage as well as living space. That will drive which RVs fit best for your needs.

We could live 2 years in our Brave 27B comfortably. Larger is not always better.

If tou plan to stay in State parks or remote areas they frequently have size limits and some roads have lenfht limitations. Those are actually the most interesting scenic areas which you will miss.

Reiner
Old 10-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #54
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't know where Sue46 is located but we travel all over the country. She is using old observations. Diesel is now no more than premium gasoline and is often found not much more than regular. We just paid $2.60/gal in Chico, CA today. Try looking at gasbuddy.com. Pick a city and look at the current fuel prices.

This is my third DP. For full time living it is the greatest. I would recommend this model to you without reservation. But, it is equipped with the things we like and want. You may not like it (but I don't think that would be the case). We have been traveling some very long and steep grades here on the west coast. My average fuel mileage according to the on-board computer is about 7.5mpg this trip. I have no problems with overheating in the transmission or engine. Some grades are done at around 45mph but I am passing commercial truckers even at that slow speed. Going downhill the breaks work fine and never fade and give good stopping distance for a rig weighing around 32,000#.

This information is just for you to hear real life RVing in a diesel pusher. I hope it helps a bit.

Still looking forward to hearing the rest of your story...

Rick Y
Old 10-03-2015, 02:03 AM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Will take it in account thank you.
Alain
Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I don't know where Sue46 is located but we travel all over the country. She is using old observations. Diesel is now no more than premium gasoline and is often found not much more than regular. We just paid $2.60/gal in Chico, CA today. Try looking at gasbuddy.com. Pick a city and look at the current fuel prices.

This is my third DP. For full time living it is the greatest. I would recommend this model to you without reservation. But, it is equipped with the things we like and want. You may not like it (but I don't think that would be the case). We have been traveling some very long and steep grades here on the west coast. My average fuel mileage according to the on-board computer is about 7.5mpg this trip. I have no problems with overheating in the transmission or engine. Some grades are done at around 45mph but I am passing commercial truckers even at that slow speed. Going downhill the breaks work fine and never fade and give good stopping distance for a rig weighing around 32,000#.

This information is just for you to hear real life RVing in a diesel pusher. I hope it helps a bit.

Still looking forward to hearing the rest of your story...

Rick Y
Hi Rick thanks
Our fly to the States should be in March next year so we have time! But thank you again for your valuable advices.
Our house in France is a B & B Des vacances au MAS DE BELLE COMBEenÂ* PROVENCE

Alain
Old 10-03-2015, 03:09 AM   #57
Winnie-Wise

Rick,

We are currently in FL and gas yesterday was 1.95 while diesel was 2.75. Mileage is the 8 mpg.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 10-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Rick,

We are currently in FL and gas yesterday was 1.95 while diesel was 2.75. Mileage is the 8 mpg.
I haven't seen gas that low out west yet. But, about a couple of years ago diesel was $5+ a gal. At $2.75 we can all afford to push the rig down the road again. Many RVers are still suffering with the memory of high and unreasonably high fuel prices and are just not traveling as they once did. An $.80 difference is significant, true, but not like the buck to a $1.25 difference not that long ago. The price you quoted may not be the lowest in your area. But a caution to the lowest price on Gasbuddy.com. Ya gota gat to da pump!

My purpose for the challenge to you was not to put you down, but it seems I was a bit tactless. Please forgive me for being rude. These folks we are trying to support are not here and can't see what we do. Fuel prices in Europe are far higher than here, from what I understand. My goal is simply: To invite these prospective visitors from a foreign land to have access to live, up-to-date information, and not to rain on their dream with unnecessary negative info. I hope you see my point.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 10-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Alain, these Danish folks are on their last year doing exactly what you wish to do - I think their rig/knowledge may be exactly what you are looking for. To communicate, PM them (by click on their Avatar) if you are interested.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/the-...rv-259904.html
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:20 AM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Rick,

My intention is to make them aware of our pricing differences in the US. Diesel is much more popular in Europe than here and they should be aware of that.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y