Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Shouldn't be a problem with licensing and insurance if you have the right Visas for the time you'll be here. Once you have that you can register in any state but the easiest are TX, FL and SD. You can have a foreign license and a U.S. License at the same time. Just pack your foreign license away once you get your U.S. one since you won't need it.
No need for a US license. Valid French one plus an International Driving Permit is all you need. One possible wrinkle though is that in the US, in some states anyway, anyone can just jump into a large RV and drive off into the sunset without any training or license endorsements. That doesn't apply in most of the rest of the world so it is possible there could be problems if your French License doesn't cover the class of the vehicle you are buying. Betty and I both have heavy vehicle + air brakes endorsements in Australia so are covered anyway.

Foreigners getting insurance isn't necessarily a given, but having relatives in the US and a legitimate address should make the process a lot easier.

One problem with having the vehicle owned by an LLC is that you won't get it into Mexico unless you - as the director of the LLC - give yourself - as driver of the MH - permission to take it out of the USA. Simple document notarised on the back was sufficient. We cheated a bit by making our full names the name of the LLC so our names effectively appear on the title and registration papers. If they notice the "LLC" on the end, then we have the permission letter as a backup. So far in 6 border crossings they haven't twigged to the slight deception.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malain View Post
Micheline and l are french and planning a 2 years full RV life journey to visit the States, Canada and Mexico. We are lost ! So many RV companies... We don't know what is the best for us. We need room for 4 to 5 sleepers. But most of the time we will be traveling only Micheline *and I.

We think: a used class A diesel pusher could be the convenient *RV for us with a maximum cost of 250000$ or less!!!

As an example we are looking for that kind of floorplan;*Floor Plans | Tuscany Luxury Diesel Motorhomes.

On the other hand when we land in the States beginning next year, we don't want more than a few weeks to take our final purchasing decision.

Where to find a very GOOD used 40'-42' Winnebago with less than 15.000miles?

thanks for your help.
Alain
Welcome to the Forum Alain. Your question is a great one and very worthy to pursue.

I am one that strongly advise buying used. There are many great used coaches on the market. You can find them through private sales or from a dealer.

Here is how I suggest starting. Find a large RV dealer and just spend a day or more looking at coaches. Start to form a list of things you must have, you want and it would be nice to have. Here is an example from my own experiences. Our last coach was uncomfortable for seating. The basement was on the slides and the coach in general kept finding reasons to be in the shop. We were not happy campers and for full-timers this is not good.

At a RV show in Dallas, TX we saw the 2011 Winnebago Tour QD. WoW! What a coach! But, we could not fit it into our lifestyle. First, it was too long. Second it was out of our budget. This reason may not be a problem for you. We stuck with our old rig for a while longer and then one day, while trying to get something fixed, we saw the Winnebago 2011 Journey 40U. The floor plan and many of the features were the same as the QD but is was only 40' long and would work for our needs. So, I started a web search. After about 6 months to a year I found the sister to the Journey, the Itasca Meridian 40U at a dealer in Fort Myers, FL. We struck a deal over the phone and through email, drove 1200 miles and traded the old coach for this one.

The residential refrigerator is the greatest. I am very pleased with the power systems. The furniture comfort is wonderful, except for the bed. That is just tolerable and will be replaced at some point. The basement is very spacious as are the cabinets throughout the living quarters.

Here is what I am saying in a long winded fashion. Choose what is important, what you want and what you like then find a coach to fit your needs.

Buying new is not the best option. Many more things need to be fixed from the factory than from a properly used coach. And, the value loss is very great for a new unit as compared to a used one.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

P.S. Here is the Winnebago website. http://winnebagoind.com/
Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Welcome to the Forum Alain. Your question is a great one and very worthy to pursue.

I am one that strongly advise buying used. There are many great used coaches on the market. You can find them through private sales or from a dealer.

Here is how I suggest starting. Find a large RV dealer and just spend a day or more looking at coaches. Start to form a list of things you must have, you want and it would be nice to have. Here is an example from my own experiences. Our last coach was uncomfortable for seating. The basement was on the slides and the coach in general kept finding reasons to be in the shop. We were not happy campers and for full-timers this is not good.

At a RV show in Dallas, TX we saw the 2011 Winnebago Tour QD. WoW! What a coach! But, we could not fit it into our lifestyle. First, it was too long. Second it was out of our budget. This reason may not be a problem for you. We stuck with our old rig for a while longer and then one day, while trying to get something fixed, we saw the Winnebago 2011 Journey 40U. The floor plan and many of the features were the same as the QD but is was only 40' long and would work for our needs. So, I started a web search. After about 6 months to a year I found the sister to the Journey, the Itasca Meridian 40U at a dealer in Fort Myers, FL. We struck a deal over the phone and through email, drove 1200 miles and traded the old coach for this one.

The residential refrigerator is the greatest. I am very pleased with the power systems. The furniture comfort is wonderful, except for the bed. That is just tolerable and will be replaced at some point. The basement is very spacious as are the cabinets throughout the living quarters.

Here is what I am saying in a long winded fashion. Choose what is important, what you want and what you like then find a coach to fit your needs.

Buying new is not the best option. Many more things need to be fixed from the factory than from a properly used coach. And, the value loss is very great for a new unit as compared to a used one.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

P.S. Here is the Winnebago website. Winnebago | RVs, Motorhomes, Recreational Vehicles
Thanks a lot Rick for this valuable information. We are spending hours on the net looking at 40' RV for the time being we center our research on WINNEBAGO ITASCA, ENTEGRA, MONACO LAZIDAYS. Will keep you informed and follow your advices. Thanks
Alain
Malain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

As you get into larger rigs you are limiting yourself as to fitting into State and National parks. 32' is a good size and you can get into most parks. You are planning to tow a car I hope. Look into gas MH they will be less expensive and a lot of people(including us) have them.
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We have been full-timing for 9 years and apart from the first two years back in Australia, have never bothered towing a car behind. Yes, would be nice occasionally, but the extra hassles involved in owning and storing two vehicles never seemed to be worth it.
In the US and Canada even the little coffee huts have 5 acre parking lots around them so shopping in a 12-metre "car" isn't really a problem. Ours is a 36' overwide MH and we have rarely come across campgrounds that we couldn't squeeze into. 40' would be significantly harder and the extra cost, weight, size and in many cases extra axle with mechanical complexity may not be worth it just for the slight increase in living space.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

2 years visiting the states should buy new or used?

Another issue you might want to consider is that all newer diesels require ULSD fuel, not readily available in Mexico. If you are planning on spending any amount of time south of the border you probably need to be looking at gas or pre 2006 diesel coach.

Take a look at the itasca suncruiser 38Q or winnebago adventurer 38Q, basically the same coach, just short of 40' on the Ford 26k chassis. We have a 2015 and love it. With any new coach you should plan on some time to work out the bugs.
j.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.smith View Post
Another issue you might want to consider is that all newer diesels require ULSD fuel, not readily available in Mexico. If you are planning on spending any amount of time south of the border you probably need to be looking at gas or pre 2006 diesel coach.

Take a look at the itasca suncruiser 38Q or winnebago adventurer 38Q, basically the same coach, just short of 40' on the Ford 26k chassis. We have a 2015 and love it. With any new coach you should plan on some time to work out the bugs.

This requirement is based on whether the coach has a DPF (diesel particulate filter). This was required on all Diesel engines produced after 1/1/2007. Most coach builders stockpiled enough engines to get through the 2007 model year without having to incorporate a DPF. This will only come up if you are looking at a 2007 model. This is a question that a dealer should be able to answer.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

To buy a used coach in a short amount of time is a big challenge. You need to see a lot of coaches so that you can compare and decide what best suits your needs. You should visit one or more large dealers who have a quantity of used coaches in inventory so you can learn and decide on the best coch for you. I am not aware of any such dealers near Washington DC, and I think it would be well worth your while to fly to one or more of the larger dealers to shop.

Some that come to mind are Lazydays and North Trail in Florida, MHSRV and Ancira in Texas, Tom Johnson in North Carolina.

If I were you I would consider making a 2-3 week advance trip to the US, and do your learning and shopping on that trip. Ideally you could make a purchase at the end of that time and then when you come here to stay 6 months you will be ready to go. Consider combining it with a large RV show, such as the Tampa RV Super Show in January or the FMCA in Perry GA (March 2016). There you will see hundreds of new RV's and be able to compare them, as well as meet dozens of dealers who may have what you are looking for in a used coach.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much for your message. For the time being l am surfing the net and looking for 40’ diesel pusher class A MH. As you say l think to spend 3 to 4 weeks visiting important rv dealers. If possible will try to visit Tampa RV super show, but could be to early for us.
Do you think ENTEGRA is better quality than WINNEBAGO?
Thanks for your help.
Alain
Old 09-24-2015, 03:55 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thank you very much for your message. For the time being l am surfing the net and looking for 40’ diesel pusher class A MH. As you say l think to spend 3 to 4 weeks visiting important rv dealers. If possible will try to visit Tampa RV super show, but could be to early for us.
Do you think ENTEGRA is better quality than WINNEBAGO?
Thanks for your help.
Alain
If I had to rank the Class As I've looked at recently it would be Entegra, Newmar then Winnebego. Just my personal judgement, they all have their strong points.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This requirement is based on whether the coach has a DPF (diesel particulate filter). This was required on all Diesel engines produced after 1/1/2007. Most coach builders stockpiled enough engines to get through the 2007 model year without having to incorporate a DPF. This will only come up if you are looking at a 2007 model. This is a question that a dealer should be able to answer.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
There are a couple of emission standards that have been required over the past several years. The system on my coach was introduced in the 2011 model year for Winnebago and uses Diesel Emissions Fluid (DEF). I don't know if this is readable available in Mexico and I am only guessing for Canada.

The folks talking about getting a shorter rig are not out of line. The Core of Engineer park designs are mostly built for the older, shorter, no slide coaches, though with some planning and early reservations you might be accommodated with a bigger rig.

I do hope these folks get a good, reliable coach when they finally get through the smoke and mirrors of choosing. This continent has so much to offer and so many camping opportunities. As far as Mexico is concerned, I know folks who go to selected areas but I don't know of any who visit there as freely as visiting in the States and CA. I, personally, don't have the desire.

In any case, happy and safe trails to all.

Rick Y
Old 09-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
There are a couple of emission standards that have been required over the past several years. The system on my coach was introduced in the 2011 model year for Winnebago and uses Diesel Emissions Fluid (DEF). I don't know if this is readable available in Mexico and I am only guessing for Canada.

The folks talking about getting a shorter rig are not out of line. The Core of Engineer park designs are mostly built for the older, shorter, no slide coaches, though with some planning and early reservations you might be accommodated with a bigger rig.

I do hope these folks get a good, reliable coach when they finally get through the smoke and mirrors of choosing. This continent has so much to offer and so many camping opportunities. As far as Mexico is concerned, I know folks who go to selected areas but I don't know of any who visit there as freely as visiting in the States and CA. I, personally, don't have the desire.

In any case, happy and safe trails to all.

Rick Y
Thanks Rick for this information. Sorry for my stupid question but what does it mean TST 507 TPMS ? And true center steering control ?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick for this information. Sorry for my stupid question but what does it mean TST 507 TPMS ? And true center steering control ?
My friend, no question is stupid. Not asking is.

Many of us have experienced catastrophic tire failures. When that big, high pressure tire blows there can be a lot of damage done to your coach. Mine coast almost $20K to repair and replace the tire.

Temperature and Pressure Monitoring Systems help us by acting as an early warning system for a possible tire failure. I did not have this on my last coach, the one with the blowout.

The product I recommended is the one many of us use. I am certain there are many other good names out there but the customer support from TST is well renowned. Here is their website: 507 Starter System Kit - Starter Systems, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Truck System Technologies.

On a side note. Have you considered finding a lease for two years?

Rick Y
Old 09-26-2015, 02:01 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
My friend, no question is stupid. Not asking is.

Many of us have experienced catastrophic tire failures. When that big, high pressure tire blows there can be a lot of damage done to your coach. Mine coast almost $20K to repair and replace the tire.

Temperature and Pressure Monitoring Systems help us by acting as an early warning system for a possible tire failure. I did not have this on my last coach, the one with the blowout.

The product I recommended is the one many of us use. I am certain there are many other good names out there but the customer support from TST is well renowned. Here is their website: 507 Starter System Kit - Starter Systems, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Truck System Technologies.

On a side note. Have you considered finding a lease for two years?

Rick Y
Hi Rick thanks for your information about TPMS seems to be a mandatory. Concerning a lease for to years l have no idea! Will have a look. Do you have a blog ?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Rick thanks for your information about TPMS seems to be a mandatory. Concerning a lease for to years l have no idea! Will have a look. Do you have a blog ?
Blogging is not my thing. This forum is about as close as I come to the social media on a regular basis. It is a great place to get help for the best RV adventuring experience, exchange RVing ideas and give support when need be.

Here are a couple of sites you might consider. Class C is the usual rental unfortunately, but with you now being aware, I will leave the deeper digging to you. It's more fun for you this way.

Class C Motor Homes, RV Rentals and Sales - Cruise America

RV Rentals | Recreational Vehicle | Motorhome Rentals | RV Rental from El Monte RV

Looking forward to seeing how your RVing adventures progress.

Happy hunting,
Rick Y
Old 09-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks for your advice we have an international driver licence may we drive a Class A 40' diesel pusher?
It depends on your. Urrent license if you do not get a US one. European license is limited to 7.5 tons weight unless tou have a valid truck license. Tbey usually put this into the international one as well. If so a 40' will be above your weight limit.

The US driver license is different...

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #37
Winnie-Wise

IMO the most important issue in determing the coach for you is floor plan.

Although you will use it for two years you will be living in it full time. Will you have guests? Go to a dealer (several) and go sit in various coaches. Ask the salesmen to leave you alone. Pretend you are unable to go outside for several days (inclement weather) and determine what you would do with the floor plan you are in.

Next are amentities and features. Do you want all electric, aqua hot, residential fridge, solar panels, washer/dryer (combined or stackable)?

Is there room to lay out a hobby, enough room to cook, can you relax without being in each others way? Is the furniture comfortable?

Most coaches have models with similar layouts. Once you find the floor plan that works for you determine which manufacturer you prefer.

If you order new plan on at least 6+ weeks for delivery, probably more. Then you will get the amenites and colors you want. Used the issue will be finding the coach with the amentities you prefer. Colors will be what is available.

Try to look past the bling (shiny things) and look at the funcitonality of the unit you are considering.

Good luck with your home hunting.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO the most important issue in determing the coach for you is floor plan.

Although you will use it for two years you will be living in it full time. Will you have guests? Go to a dealer (several) and go sit in various coaches. Ask the salesmen to leave you alone. Pretend you are unable to go outside for several days (inclement weather) and determine what you would do with the floor plan you are in.

Next are amentities and features. Do you want all electric, aqua hot, residential fridge, solar panels, washer/dryer (combined or stackable)?

Is there room to lay out a hobby, enough room to cook, can you relax without being in each others way? Is the furniture comfortable?

Most coaches have models with similar layouts. Once you find the floor plan that works for you determine which manufacturer you prefer.

If you order new plan on at least 6+ weeks for delivery, probably more. Then you will get the amenites and colors you want. Used the issue will be finding the coach with the amentities you prefer. Colors will be what is available.

Try to look past the bling (shiny things) and look at the funcitonality of the unit you are considering.

Good luck with your home hunting.
Thanks for your advices. Normally should be in the States beginning next year... meanwhile we surfing the net to select manufacturers and learning about life in RV reading blogs and forums.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

OK thank you
Old 09-28-2015, 12:10 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
It depends on your. Urrent license if you do not get a US one. European license is limited to 7.5 tons weight unless tou have a valid truck license. Tbey usually put this into the international one as well. If so a 40' will be above your weight limit.

The US driver license is different...

Reiner
Thanks but l am confused some one said that with my international driver licence (only for vehicles up to 7.5 tons) we can drive any kind of RV in the States? If not so l should obtain a valid truck licence in the States.
how long does it take?
how much should l pay?
is it difficult ?