Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We might be crazy but john & I have sold our 30 ft trailer and in the process of buying a motorhome.(with the price of gas these days) We are seriously thinking of buying a winnebego or a tiftain(allegro)motorhome. We are looking at sightseer or adventurer on the winnebago side. If anyone could please give me some feedback on these particular motorhomes and/or have any dealership that you could recommend (we live in NC) Thanks for help!
linda & john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We might be crazy but john & I have sold our 30 ft trailer and in the process of buying a motorhome.(with the price of gas these days) We are seriously thinking of buying a winnebego or a tiftain(allegro)motorhome. We are looking at sightseer or adventurer on the winnebago side. If anyone could please give me some feedback on these particular motorhomes and/or have any dealership that you could recommend (we live in NC) Thanks for help!
linda & john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We haven't looked at the Allegro products recently, but in the Winnebago lines, the Adventurer is the top of the gas coaches. They are well built and have some good floor plans. The Sightseer is one of the lower lines, but all the coaches come down the same production line and the primary differences are in the quality of the fiberglass used (3 grades and the Sightseer has the lower grade)-not bad, just slightly less polished finish than on the Adventurer. The diesel coaches have the top grade. Interior finishing is good and again varies on the price range you want to keep in. You might also want to look at the Suncruiser which is the Itasca version of the Adventurer. The primary differences between the two is the interior finishes.

You might also want to explore an 07 or 08 coach that might still be on the lot - should be able to work a very good price on one of those.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmatino
03 Ultimate Advantage 40K
02 Saturn L100 toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Linda & John
I went with the diesel journey due to the amount of driving. Journey and adventurer are the same unit with the exception of the engine. If buying new they all come with gremlins so expect some trouble but be cool with them as you will get to know your service department intimently. Winnie does make one of the better units and their warrenty folks are easy to work with. I bought mine from Snyder's of VA Beach and Salem VA.

Good hunting....make sure its the floor plan you want with the amidities you need or might want in near future.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Linda & John:

Welcome to the forum . You have come to the best RV site on the web.

Both Winnebago and Tiffin make good motorhomes and both have excellent reputations for customer service. We started out with a used gas Adventurer and loved it. We made the move to a Journey when I got the 'diesel fever.'

If you don't have to have a new rig, I'd suggest you take your time and look carefully for a nice, well-maintained used coach. You will save on depreciation and can usually get a rig that has the new bugs worked out of it. There are a lot of Adventurers out there since they are so popular. With the cost of fuel, this is a buyer's market for RV's so take your time and get a good deal.

In NC you might want to check Bill Plemmons RV in Rural Hall and Tom Johnson in Concord. Both are Winnebago dealers.

As you shop and consider your options, don't hesitate to come back here for advice and to share your experiences.

I will also place your question in our Tiffin Owners section.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Welcome to the forum!!! I had a 33' Teton and now have a 33' motorhome . . . I like the big windows!!! It's nice sitting up and seeing everything while you travel!

You're going to love this site and the people - friendly and full of great advice!!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have gone the same route as smlranger. Had an Adventurer and now have a Journey. I lived in the Adventurer for 6 1/2 yrs. I happened to buy my Journey in NC. I sent you a pm with the specifics.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

linda & john;

Welcome to the forum. As you have already been told, you have joined the best site on the Internet. I owned a 97 Adventure and now a 03 Chieftain. I have been very happy with Winnebago products. Take your time choosing and keep us posted of your progress on purchasing.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the site. I think most of us have gone from TT to MH. We actually went form a tenting, popup, TT to a Class C which seemed like the way to go at the moment, but after having had the A class for close to 2 years I wish we had gone straight to the A class like you guy's. Congrats.

Winne is a very good Mfg. Once you read and study up on the differences between mfg. you'll be able to make a good decision based on what is best for you and yet good all around.

My wife and I are very pleased with our 2007 Suncruizer. It has 24,000 mi. which include a very tough trip to Alaska. We have had our problems but all have been fixed to satisfaction. Most of them have been with vendor products and not with the MH itself.

On our trip to Alaska we learned how well constructed our Itasca was versus much more expensive rigs. Most of the driving in and thru Alaska and the Yukon is on very dusty road conditions. On our 3rd week out we parked next to a caravan. On one side we had a DP and on the other a 5th wheel. Both were complaining of dust getting into the rig, closets and outside storage and how much cleaning they would have to do when they got home. When they asked me about the Suncruizer I kind of felt bad reporting there was no dust inside the MH or in the storage bins. I had to show them so they would believe.....needless to say they both said their next rig would be a Winne.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 Advemturer -- I have really been pleased with this coach.
As for dealers -- it depends on where you are located in NC -- Bill PLemmons RV has two locations -- one near Winston Salem and the other is located in Raleigh.
You can pm me if you want further information.
jrtgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

linda & john - Welcome to this very helpful forum. As recent 1st motorhome purchasers, we can assure you...you are definitely in the right place!

If you're looking at the Adventurer and Suncruiser, you might want to see if you can find any remaining 2008 Voyages or Sunrises with the 32H floor plan. There are great deals to be made, if you can!! The Voyage and Sunrise names are history after 2008, but the 32H floor plan lives on in 2009 as an option for the Adventurer and Suncruiser...at a higher price.

IMHO, the 32H is a fantastic floor plan. It has a full-slide and a bedroom slide that create a lot of space in 32 ft, which is a length that we find quite easy to maneuver.

Since this is the model we bought, of course we're biased. But, we did a lot of research and feel great about our decision. We're happy to pass on what we learned. Hope it helps.

Can't help you with a dealer...we're on the other coast.

Happy shopping!

Natasha
Old 08-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

This past winter we were in the same position you are in pondering a new Tiffen, then found a slightly used Itasca Suncruiser which we now own and really like and enjoy. And, as a bonus, it has the most perfect floor plan (for us) that we have ever seen.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #13

We are on our 5th Winnebago since 1997! We have had 3 gassers and the last two DP. We have never had another brand so it is hard to compare...except from what we have read and learned from those who own SOB's. No, I'm not swearing, SOB means "some other brand".
We really like the way Winnebago treats their customers, so that is one of the reasons we kept coming back. We started out with a 30' Adventurer and gradually worked our way up to the Vectra. Every new coach has it's growing pains, but all in all our experience with Winnebago has been positive. However, no matter what you decide on, the folks here at irv2 will help you with any questions you have. Happy shopping!
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have been fortunate to own 4 Winnies. You will really go to great stress and lengths to find a better coach for the money. My advice is to go to several dealers who have a large selection of different coaches and settle on a floor plan. My wife and I like the Adventurer 35 U best. Two slides and plenty of room in the kitchen and bath. My choice for dealer was John Bleakley Motorhomes near Atlanta, Ga. They have a huge selection of Winnies and are most competitive dealer price wise, we found. I would highly recommend them to anyone. Check out their web site and see just what they have compared to other dealers. Also remember, the coach you buy today may be in your family for a long time, so choose carefully. Consider the cost of gas versus diesel. I perfer the gas because of cost and ultimate maintenance of the engines. They say you can get 200000 miles out of a new workhorse chassis and as of now, I believe them. I have taken my coach over some of the highest mountain passes and worse roads in America with no problems. That was with also towing a Honda Element. Welcome to the world of motorhomes. You are in good company. Good luck, Al Spivey
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Don't buy until you look at the Tiffins. In my humble opinion, the most bang for the buck, and nobody backs them better than Bob Tiffin.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Whatever motorhome you purchase - new, or used - it will require repairs and service, It's not a matter of if, but when, and how often.

That being established, pick your dealer first - visit their facility, and check their service department. Check with their customers and get references. Then buy what ever brand and floorplan they have that you really like. This may seem like a lot of trouble - but a motorhome is a big investment.

40+ rigs are nice, but a lot depends on your planned use. If you're going to be a fulltimer, and not put many miles on it, big is a plus. If your'e going for long trips with lots of campground changes - the fuel economy and maneuverability comes into play. I personally prefer rigs in the 36' range - and a toad - for general use. For our "continent touring" jaunts (2 or 3 days in one spot separated by hiundreds of miles of travel) we bought a 24' View.

A word of caution on "short" class A's - a long wheelbase is your friend. We had a Monaco Knight 30J (31' - with a 168" wheelbase) it was ma wonderfully compact, well equipped home. It camped wonderfully - but it drove like a pig on ice. Anything resembling a strong crosswind was an exercise in terror - and being passed by (or passing) a semi was a white knuckle experience.

Neither of our Winnebagos have this problem. I'm a retired race car driver (amateur) and have worked driving semi's - I'm no wimp on the road.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We've owned three MH's over 15 years, and now have a 36' Sunrise, bought one year ago, which we love. I looked hard at Tiffen products and actually made an offer on a beautiful 38 footer. But in the end the flat roof on the Allegro bothered me. Flat roofs hold water, and I like a slightly rounded roof for shedding our Pacific NW rain! They are all good and none are without problems. Best of luck! And welcome to the forum
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Linda & John,
Welcome aboard. Plenty of experienced people here willing to share their findings. [not sure where last posting got erroneous notion of a flat roof on any mfgr. motorhome]
Had a Superchief for 8 years: very solid & very happy. Now have Allegro Bay gasser that runs quiet as a diesel, plenty of excellent cabinetry & amenities at a lower cost than other brands. Encourage you see what Tiffin has to offer. Great deals to be had at this time [including 2-3 yr old models.]
See also Tiffin owners forum :http://tiffinrvnetwork.com/ for sound advice on Tiffin product line.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Linda and John, One more comment that I feel needs to be made. Please take the time and effort to go to the Winnebago factory and see how they are made. Go thru the factory tour and watch the video about places in the factory that you can't go. This will more than convince you to buy a Winnebago product. Talk to those folks and they will answer all your questions openly and honestly. The factory is in Forest City, Iowa. I have been there 5 times and am more impressed each time I go. Good luck, Al
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

After reading this entire thread from top to bottom, I got the distinct feeling that I was on the Winnebago forum and not the Tiffin forum! Chuck/Bagman57.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote