Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

1srt time buyer please help

So happy finally going to get a MH. I found a 2003 Journey ld 36 in my budget. Private party still have loan so no title. Is a NRIVA inspection good they seem to be a mobile service of try to find a local RV repair shop and have them do it?
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

When buying from private, I like to do it as two separate inspections. One for the running gear, chassis items like engine, trans, brakes, etc. as much the same as a car or truck but for the RV, I find I like to have the owner show me things work as each coach does have it's own special little items which differ from other RV. Some have options, others don't.
So if the owner walks around , lights the stove and oven, has the frig already fired up to be cool when I get there, and demonstrates a bunch of the little gizmos, they certainly should know the how and why of getting it done much better than most salesmen at lots. Have them put the awning out, work the furnace and AC and anything else that you spot and on't understand. I
Don't feel embarrassed to ask what some funny little gizmo is if you don't know. Most RV owners are quite happy to share their info. and they fully understand not knowing because they were there at some point, too.
If it seems too much trouble for them to do this, I assume they were not really interested in selling it to me!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The overall condition of the MH will tell you how the cared for it.to some extent.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Getting inspections are a GREAT idea. Especially if you are new to diesel motorhomes or RVs in general.

Sounds like you are on the right path.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Inspections are a great thing, it gives you a starting point. The owner of the unit is most likely very proud there rig. I would learn as much as you can from them. Each rig has its own life and squeaks that only the own can tell you about.

I would almost be more concerned about the chassis part instead of the inside. Find a good rv/bus chassis repair place and take it there. Those folks should know what to look for.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Kbwitt,
did you mean Journey DL?
Old 03-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ours is the most fabulous machine we've ever had!!
Old 03-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Before going too far verify there are no other leans on the coach aside from the loan and that they will be able to payoff the loan so that the bank will surrender the title to you. Too many are so concerned about the mechanical and physical condition of a coach that they do not check on the condition of the title. Be assured that there is a title and the loan company is holding it and will keep it locked up until the loan is paid off in full.

Not much fun to pay for something like a motor home or boat only to find the title has an unpaid lean from a loan on it making it so you can't title, insure, register or drive the vehicle along with may end up being the one facing the repo man unless you pay off the loan yourself or make a deal to assume the remainder of the payments.

Many will complete the transaction at a bank with a loan officer representing the loan company present to receive the loan payoff and release the title to you.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Like others said, inspection are a good idea as well as trying everything out while the owner is present. Don't forget to take a good test-drive so you can see if you are comfortable driving such a big vehicle and know what handling characteristics to expect.

A verified maintenance/service history would be a very big plus. See hwo old the tires are and if they are of a quality brand.
Lastly, make sure you have a repair shop that can work on your new MH and has the space to do so. And, no matter how nice it is you need to set some money aside for repairs. I hope you are mechanically savvy because repairs at the shop get expensive very fast.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks that's what we did.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Congrats, you're almost there.

We bought a used unit thirty plus years ago from an owner who had to come up with additional funds to clear the title. YOU personally need to speak to his lien holder and will need owners permission to do so. I doubt the owner has his own funds to clear lien. Get very specific instructions how the lender wants this done.

Diesel engines and Allison transmissions are rugged units, but there is a maintenance schedule.
Even when I do my own work I keep parts receipts. How often and when last the fuel filters were changed, injector pumps are expensive. Differential oil been changed, Allison serviced, front hub oil? When was coolant changed? Were talking a 17 year old unit Which we all hope for you will be a bundle of joy. Don't get scared, just be cautious.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Find other owners of the same MH in this forum and e-mail them for their experiences.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We have one, we love it. Ask away.
[email protected]