Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1998 Itasca Suncruiser hydraulic fluid reservoir location

We would like to know where the hydraulic fluid reservoir is located on our 1998 Winnebago ICG34WA is located? Is the cap a pull off or screw off?
Ishockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

As we move into the older units, we tend to get far less info as things were more done by hand on paper and that means far less info online.
One of those things is the location and type of leveling jacks on your Rv! Sorry but this may take some looking.

One first question might be to ask if you do HAVE jacks as not all RV do and the earlier models are less likely than newer! So be sure you have jacks before looking for the tank!! Checking the owners manual it talks about how to level without mentioning how to use jacks??

If not on hand, this should be the manual for your RV and it has lots of good info:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...r-manuals/2018

Easy first step is if you have the big bag of info which should move with the RV. Do you have that bag and does it have the leveling jacks book that tells you about them?

If not you will need to move into more manual looking at things as we do not have what brand, model of jacks nor location drawings.
The thing to look for is a set of large hydraulic tubes from the jacks, running to one common control pump and reservoir. Black rubber looking lines about an inch thick that are strapped or run along the frame to the pump and pretty easy to spot. Good chance it might be just back of the front wheels but that is guessing!

Once you find the pump and tank, it will take some looking at where the tank fill is and what type. Look along the top or near the top for a plug and there will be one that is obvious. Whether it screws out or pulls out is a mix of brands, models, and types.

Hint? if you turn it and is seems to not come up and kind of sqeaks, it is likely to have a rubber type gasket and pull out!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As we move into the older units, we tend to get far less info as things were more done by hand on paper and that means far less info online.
One of those things is the location and type of leveling jacks on your Rv! Sorry but this may take some looking.

One first question might be to ask if you do HAVE jacks as not all RV do and the earlier models are less likely than newer! So be sure you have jacks before looking for the tank!! Checking the owners manual it talks about how to level without mentioning how to use jacks??

If not on hand, this should be the manual for your RV and it has lots of good info:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...r-manuals/2018

Easy first step is if you have the big bag of info which should move with the RV. Do you have that bag and does it have the leveling jacks book that tells you about them?

If not you will need to move into more manual looking at things as we do not have what brand, model of jacks nor location drawings.
The thing to look for is a set of large hydraulic tubes from the jacks, running to one common control pump and reservoir. Black rubber looking lines about an inch thick that are strapped or run along the frame to the pump and pretty easy to spot. Good chance it might be just back of the front wheels but that is guessing!

Once you find the pump and tank, it will take some looking at where the tank fill is and what type. Look along the top or near the top for a plug and there will be one that is obvious. Whether it screws out or pulls out is a mix of brands, models, and types.

Hint? if you turn it and is seems to not come up and kind of sqeaks, it is likely to have a rubber type gasket and pull out!
We do have levelers. It is like a joy stick type. Someone said the reservoir was under the hood.
Ishockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ok, sorry to be such a drag but when I did not see mention of it, I thought there might be a good reason you could not find it!!
If you've got the controls, there is likely to be a tank and pump.

I have not seen any under the hood but there are lots of things I've missed, so maybe we need to look further!

What I would expect to see is pretty big and not easy to fit under the hood but I see them underneath most often. Those I have seen are 12-18 inches high and about as wide, so hard to hide with at least four hoses running to the four jacks.
Those I have seen have a factory made cable running from the control inside down to the pump location so it is often pretty close to the front but they can be on either side.

Sorry the drawings don't give us much on this one!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:58 PM   #5
Site Team

I wasn’t able to find a model matching what you posted in the title, but did find a 1998 model that matched. I corrected your title with the right year.

And with that info I was able to find a little info in the parts catalog just not the location of the pump.

Here’s a screen shot that includes the pump and reservoir- it even shows the cap and says it has a dipstick. Looks too big to be under the hood, but I bet it’s behind a front tire up under that cavity. Could be driver or passengers side. Later models put it in front of the forward most compartment behind a front tire. But 25-years ago?? Who knows?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	186132  
Old 05-26-2023, 10:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Here’s a link to that part’s catalog for your motorhome:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...8/98ig34wa.pdf
Old 05-31-2023, 04:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I think that shares the P30 chassis my 99 Sunrise has... if so, open the engine compartment access from the front, it will be a black box with a stainless (or chromed) cap on your lower right. Mine had a white label saying what fluid and how to check/fill, but it was entirely covered by black gunk. Clean it all off before opening it as not to let dirt fall into the reservoir.

good luck.
mj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

mj88, is right. I had a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer. My tank was a round black tank installed horizontally with the silver cap. As mj88 said, open the front lid and you can see it by looking down to the right behind the front RV grill.

Tags
cat, fluid, itasca, suncruiser, hydraulic