Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2023, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1996 Winnebago Adventurer Electrical

Good evening all. I'm reaching out to the winnie community for some help troubleshooting an electrical issue with the chassis battery.

Long story short, battery was replaced from the motorhome sitting for a while. Vehicle started fine and after about 20 minutes of running the negative cable at the battery post connection became hot and melted the connector (Marine battery post connection). The negative cable was very hot to the touch at the battery. I changed the battery connector again, checked for tightness and same issue again with a hot negative battery cable and melted connection. After research for the issue I changed the negative cable (corrosion and some fraying at the cable connection) from the engine block back to the battery along with a new battery connection to the post. All connections very tight as well.

Vehicle started fine and ran fine after 25 or so minutes. I turned off the vehicle and tried to restart, but nothing happened as if the battery did not have enough voltage to start. I checked the battery and connections again and noticed the negative battery cable very hot again so I disconnected the battery.

According to the chassis electrical drawing it shows a connection between the chassis negative battery to the negative block on the frame with the coach negative battery. This is not connected on my set up and I am not certain this is the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mike
GeauxTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Something vital is wrong and needs a good check.
My first thought would be that the battery is installed/connected in reverse but the starting after install is a surprise if that were true.

The theroy of current flow is that it will always flow from higher potential/voltage to lower.
So if we use the metal frame as ground or zero volts, there should be no voltage there and it should be connected to the negative (-) side of the battery. But if that cable is connected to the positive side, lots of current will flow from that 12Volt post to the ground as quick as it can get there! I'm fairly surprised that the connections got put on without major arcing noted?? I would have said very dangerous-----but that is a guess from never having done it!
That will make lots of heat and the cable likely does get hot. It also will discharge the battery totally.

Suggest checking the cable from ground buss on the frame is going to the negative post and then the battery may need help again.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Did you mark or take a picture of the battery wiring before removing any?

Since electron actually flow from negative to positive, if the cables are switched the starter works the same but charging will be trying to reverse the flow of electrons, as morich said.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had lots of thoughts on the starter might run backwards or something but when thinking of all the other things that would be backwards, I stopped thinking!

Wiring diagrams for your Rv are here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

If you can tell us which 96 adventurer you have we can chase it down to your specific model?

Name:   96 advent.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  27.3 KB
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You're missing a ground. Engine needs to ground to the frame, body, and battery-3 points. One's missing. Or else the cable's too small
Old 04-02-2023, 11:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

i'm with bill. ground issue.get a couple sets of jumper cables and clamp one on frame and engine and the other on frame to battery and see what happens.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, electrical, vent, winnebago