Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Should Freightliner replace all the 24 Volt units.
Yes 8 80.00%
No 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Wrong Info Center Display installed

This has bugged me since I got this RV. The Info Center Display has always been very dim but the information on the display is invaluable. They have combined all the warning lights into ‘one’ that says ‘See Info Center’. I finally had the time and inclination to tackle the issue of a dim display. As I got further into the problem, I couldn’t shake the idea that the display may have been originally designed for a 24 Volt truck system and that they made Freightliner such a deal that Freightliner decided to install it on the 2004 XC chassis (as well as others that I'm not familiar with) which I and many others have. Freightliner came out with a replacement display a few years after the 04 model year because there were so many complaints, but I didn’t want to spend the $100.00 to replace the unit at the time.

I searched and searched the web for anything that might help, but to no avail. I sent two letters to Borg Warner Air/Fluid Systems who’s sticker with a part number on it is attached to the display. No response. I finally found a .PDF of the backlight for the unit which I downloaded and sure enough, the unit was originally designed for 24 Volt systems. The backlight LED’s are supposed to run with 100 mA. of current and will , as designed with 24 Volts applied. But on a 12 Volt system, the current is only 40 mA., hence the dim display.

As you can see from these pictures, by adding a 62 Ohm resistor in series with a 500 Ohm potentiometer and running wires into the unit and attaching them in parallel with R13 a 240 Ohm resistor, the current is now variable between 57 and 195 mA. This is perfect, since the nominal current for the device is 100 mA. with a maximum of 200 mA.

Now I need to drive the coach to see if the display is readable in daylight. It should be based on the pictures alone. Anyone can do this themselves. Of course, a little shade tree mechanic in their blood will certainly help. Getting the unit apart to solder wires across R13 is the real trick since the unit is encapsulated with a black rubber like compound sealing the back side. Drilling a hole in the case for the wires to exit and mounting the potentiometer are simple tricks.

Should the owners demand that Freightliner fix this oversight on their part for no charge to the owners?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mininum brightness.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	32651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medium brightness.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	32652  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maximum brightness.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	32653  
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That looks great! Does anyone know if there is a way to tilt the device so that the screen is facing upwards? I have to sit down on my floor to read the darned thing!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Ramzfan,

Not a bad idea, I’m seriously thinking of designing a hood to block out the ambient light in the daytime and now I think I’ll incorporate some way to add tilt to the mounting.

Two people think that the 24 Volt units ought to remain?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mrtransistor,
I dig projects like the one you did. I'm certainly no electrical wizard but, I can do little things like that if instructed. I just finished a little project for my Honda Goldwing. I created "in the glass" turn signal arrows with the addition of LEDs from the backside. I had to run resistors etc. and it was a fun job and turned out quite well.

I don't mind looking up info on what's needed for projects but, I was wondering if you might publish or, even send me the PDF on the back lighting of that display? Based on your explanation of procedure, I'm a bit confused on some of it. Is the back light an LED? If so, then why couldn't you remove the regulating resistor for it and install a correct one that will work with 12V application and therefore brighten the back light?

I'm just trying to guess at the remedy here. Most likely my idea here is too simple and more has to be done to make it work the way you did. I sure like that. I'm working on "tilt" mechanism for it too so a driver does not have to be on his/her knees to see it.

By the way, in your sig, you state you have Triumph Bonnie on the back of your coach. May I ask, what lift/rack to you have?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here's the Freightliner Service Bulletin regarding their improved replacement for the Info Center. The last info I have is that the replacement display was available from Ross Equipment Inc for about $200, although I don't know if they still have any available.

Here's a link to John Canfield's writeup of his upgrade to the new display, complete with pictures: Freightliner information center display .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hello FIRE-UP,

Thank you. I’ll start in reverse. The lift mechanism is a home design that I conceived of several years back. The original thought was one bike on the back and one on the front. That didn’t work since my wife’s bike would have been right in the headlights. The other requirement was that either myself or my wife had to be able to get either bike on or off by ourselves. That’s when I thought of mounting both bikes on the rear. Did the drawings in CAD, ordered the aluminum, machined all the pieces and assembled it on the RV. Weight and balance put it just under the limit for the rear. There are picture of my work posted with my 'photos'. She drives either a Honda Rebel or a Suzuki S40 so I designed her side so either bike would fit (shims for the rear tire). Would I make another one? About all I can do these days is the CAD work. As designed and built it would probably run close to $20,000 these days. Now her side is home to my City Bug, because she decided to divorce me.

The .PDF for the LED assembly can be had at Backlight for Info Center Display - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery . As you can see, the maximum forward current for this set of LED’s is 200 mA. I selected the components that I installed to give a forward current of just less than 200 mA. The resistor to be paralleled is a surface mount device. That is why I elected to use wires soldered directly to the ends of this device that run through a hole drilled in the side of the case to the pot and additional resistor. If you choose to use the maximum brightness all the time, I would suggest no less than a 50 Ohm 2 W resistor. It may be quite difficult to mount this resistor in place of the original 240 Ohm surface mount resistor on the board. You could also mount a 62 Ohm 2W resistor in parallel with the original resistor to get the 50 ohms. Having the pot allows me to control the brightness when it needs dimming, like at night. Since the current to the backlight is only 40 mA as designed, it’s understandable why it is so dim.

Soon, I will be working on an angled mount with hood for this display to turn it toward the driver and shield it from ambient light.

Cool on the turn signal indicators!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ramzfan, on our 04 XC, I repositioned the unit in the mounting hole so that the bottom sticks out 1/2" providing enough tilt on it to read it from the seat even with sunglasses on. It is easy to do once you get behind the dash. Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Ramzfan, on our 04 XC, I repositioned the unit in the mounting hole so that the bottom sticks out 1/2" providing enough tilt on it to read it from the seat even with sunglasses on. It is easy to do once you get behind the dash. Hope this helps.
That's a great idea, doorguy...I'll check that out the next time I'm messing with the coach. thanks!