Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are off Friday to spend the long weekend in Niagara Falls and then to join the WIT New England Fall Caravan in Colchester, VT. It runs Sept 7-29. We hit Colchester; North Conway, NH; Boothbay, ME; Wells, ME and Foxboro, MA. When I received my package a month ago there were 20 RVs signed on with 42 people.

Has anyone on this board been on a WIT Caravan? Any suggestions or advice?

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are off Friday to spend the long weekend in Niagara Falls and then to join the WIT New England Fall Caravan in Colchester, VT. It runs Sept 7-29. We hit Colchester; North Conway, NH; Boothbay, ME; Wells, ME and Foxboro, MA. When I received my package a month ago there were 20 RVs signed on with 42 people.

Has anyone on this board been on a WIT Caravan? Any suggestions or advice?

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Other than Colchester, VT I we've been to all those destinations.

North Conway; Mount Washington, Shopping, Kangamungus Highway, Shopping. You'll have fun there.

Boothbay Harbor, ME; Great place for sea food and scenery. When the sun sets over the harbor as you are sitting at an outdoor restaurant eating fresh steamers and lobster this will offer you memories for many years to come.

Wells, ME; If you're going to the Wells Campground on route 1 I believe they have padded patio carpets and morning newspapers. The shore is rocky and there isn't much beach as I recall. Services are a bit primitive however the restaurants won't disappoint you.

Foxboro, MA; The home of the NFL Patriots. Foxboro has one of the top ten campgrounds I believe in the country, Normandy Farms. I haven't spent too much time there but the Nor'Easters just had a rally there in the spring so any one of them could speak about the surrounding area.

WIT is cool. I just finished up attending the Utah State Rally in Logan, UT and I had a lot of fun. Isn't everyday you dress up like a woman and get up in front of the group and do karaoke. They themed the rally around the 1920s and it was cool the way they did it.

Have fun in New England! On your way home come down from Foxboro to South eastern Connecticut. Much to do and see, you won't believe all the stuff there is to do. By the way for the "best" pizza in the area stop by at "Mystic Pizza" on route 2 in North Stonington for a Hawaiian or a BBQ Chicken. Best pie I had in years.

Mystic Seaport, US Sub Base Museum, Foxwood, Mohegan Sun, RI Beaches, Point Judith, Block Island Ferry and other area attractions will win favor with you. You can stay in a campground called Odetah Family Campground in Bozrah CT. It's easy to find and centrally located in a beautiful environment aside from a small lake.

Be safe and have a great trip and enjoy New England.

PS: Too bad you couldn't go as far north as Bah Habah (Bar Harbor, ME)! Now that's old maritime New England for you. You can also take a high-speed ferry to Nova Scotia for the heck of it and come back on the same day. What a ride they say! It's a "swath" type vessel that gets up and moves! Now that's a ride!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

James: We just attended a CA WIT Rally and spoke to a couple who joined a WIT Mississippi River Caravan. They enjoyed it and were pleased with all of the accomodations. They said WIT did a great job. We want to go on your specific caravan in 2 years. Drop me an e-mail when you get back. Have fun.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
James,

We recently returned from the WIT Alaska Caravan. It was well run, and everything was as they advertised. You'll enjoy the caravan. Sit back and take in the sites. Let them do all of the work.

Enjoy.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We've been on that one and a number of others.
It was well run and very interesting. Good, lightweight rain gear might be in order. Get ready for some spectacular ("gustacular") seafood.

We were also on the Gulf Caravan this spring, and saw Biloxi, Gulfport, Pass Christian, Waveland, and N.O. before they were destroyed.

You will have a good time.

Albert
adturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adturner:
We were also on the Gulf Caravan this spring, and saw Biloxi, Gulfport, Pass Christian, Waveland, and N.O. before they were destroyed.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Albert, I was stationed at Keesler AFB in 1969 for Camille. On the day or so before the hurricane I had a pass and I went on the beach in Biloxi. There were night clubs and restaurants galore. When I saw the beach again it was nothing but sand and a huge pile of debris on the opposite side of Highway 90.

I'm a believer!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We signed up a month ago for our first rally next February 2006 New Orleans--- I would think it will be canceled.
Ardie/Dennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have been on caravans to Alaska, Calgary,and just returned from the Maritimes. Wit does a great job, recommed very highly.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This summer going north just out of Homer Alaska, I witnessed all of the Alaska WIT's going south to Homer. I, of course, had to go home to Fairbanks to go back to work for my next vacation. I was feeling pangs of jealousy as it was, when I saw a close retired friend in his Suncruiser going down with them waving happilly at us as we passed him....grrrr!
It was nice though to see all those WIT good folks waving to us as Winnibago brothers and sisters, so that made me feel better.
Have a great time.
AKBrick