Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Grand National Rally:

Got back last night. It was our first and we had a great time.

Anybody else on here that attended?

Never got a final count but I am sure there were more than a thousand units.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm interested in a count also!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We were there. Brought 3 GKids with.
Great weather this year compared to last year.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We were there, and >1000 was my guess, as well. This was our 3rd GNR; we went in 2003, and 2009. I don't think this one was as good as previous GNR's. They needed more of the popular seminars that were only one-of; I heard a lot of people saying the vendors should have been in Friendship hall on Saturday. and the Saturday night live entertainment really was terrible.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I don't know how many attended, but 400 coaches were serviced. And the weather was good. Today it is packed with bikers!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I hear many walked out on Jefferson Airplane.
DW and I did not go. Never liked them anyway.

Revoli Revue was great.

I wanted service from Roadmaster for my tow bar?
Payed and they never showed up.
Called me Saturday as I was heading into MN.
Called them back twice with no response.
They owe me some refund $$.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We were up on the hill when Jefferson Starship started up and the sound was deafening!!! The mixing was bad and we could not hear the vocals at all. We stayed longer than most, but left as well.

The other two nights were great however.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We were there also. I was told there were close to 1000 rigs. We also walked out on Jefferson Starship. I believe the WIT staff made a bad decision. They are from a different generation. Our generation doesn't like that kind of music. IMHO We could not hear the singer due to the loud music.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wit has got realize the age group that they deal with. The groups that were popular when they were young either have dementia or they cant travel !
cclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Rkh

Now just wait a dog gone minute. I'm 60 and the Starship was very popular in my youth. So was Santana, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, etc etc etc. The question is whether these bands can still perform.. most cant. To say that WIT does not know their audience is to assume everyone is 80 ish. And that's not true. Given the large demographic, it is hard to make everyone happy.
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I like and would go see the bands you listed ! If you are 60 yrs old you would have been one of the younger ones at the rally. FMCA has the same problem . The music taste between 80 and 60 is great .
Old 07-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclerk View Post
I like and would go see the bands you listed ! If you are 60 yrs old you would have been one of the younger ones at the rally. FMCA has the same problem . The music taste between 80 and 60 is great .
My wife and I were discussing it again this afternoon. Our children would have appreciated the Jefferson Starship. It appeared to me that about 1/3 of the crowd left. We stayed for about 1/2 of the program before we left. When we were going back to our coach a couple about our age approached us that were identified as First Timers. They voiced their displeasure with the entertainment and said they would not return next year if that was the type of entertainment to expect. You hit it on the head when you listed a 20 year gap. Our children would have enjoyed it but we didn't. The only problem is they don't have RVs and have to work and could not go to GNR even if they had Winnebago approved rigs.

We will attend GNR again because we understand it is hard to please everyone. I did not see any amount of people leaving on Wed & Fri night as I think all ages enjoyed that entertainment.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago is now in the towable business witch is something the younger people buy and they are trying to get them to come to GNR so it will be fun to see how this plays out . I have been to rallys where the show was something I wish I had stayed away from but I stayed to show respect for the entertainers, its embarassing to see people walking out. I knew from past rallys that Starship wasnt going to fly with this group.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Well gang, as I stated in my first original thread, dated a couple of weeks ago, we attended it for our first time. We met several nice folks including some great ones from this website. Petro, Duner, Majorfrizz, One niner, and a couple of more, all outstanding folks. Very nice to meet all of you and, looking forward to a meeting again.

As for Jefferson Starship, they were not all that popular when I was in their prime. Heck, they only had about one or two songs that made it to anywhere near the top. One being White Rabbit. But, I'm not, never will be, never was, in favor of BLASTING LOUD music, either instrumental or vocal. Personally, I think it's kind retarded to have to yell at the person one foot from you while trying to talk, because the music is phenomenally loud. But, many folks, young and old, like that sort of stuff. I have never seen a reason that, that kind of music needs to be that loud but, apparently it's OK because a zillion folks, young and old, keep attending events that play it that way.

We moved from the rally grounds to camp in front of the Winnebago Visitors Center on Saturday night because we found out they (The rally grounds officials) were not going to allow us to leave the rally grounds, 'till Wednesday at noon, due to the bicycle event. We, a buddy and I, attended Camp Freightliner on Monday and Tuesday, immediately following the rally. And, we wanted to depart either that Tuesday night or, real early Wed. morning and we didn't want anyone telling us we could not leave. So, that's why we moved to where we did. And, we could hear the JSS concert (if you want to call it that) very clearly, all the way over in the Visitors center camping area.

To Petro, Duner and all the nice folks we met there, thanks very much for introducing yourself, it was our pleasure.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Scott. First of all, it's TWO-niner. Big difference in job description.

Since we are talking personal experience, Winnebago performed thousands of dollars of work (not repairs) and the cost?? No charge, Customer Good Will.

The band, and I use that term incorrectly was terrible. (I am a Jefferson Airplane fan) but whoever that was, it wasn't them.

We probably won't be back next year either.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We had a great time at GNR! It was our first. The Grands enjoyed the youth program, too. I wished for more seminars, but we have so much to learn that we were satisfied. I was impressed with the transit systems, and the helpfulness of the volunteers.

We appreciated the variety of entertainment. They were all fun for different reasons. Jefferson Starship was, by far, our favorite! It was too bad the soundboard people took so long getting the vocals louder than the background. That young guitar player was fabulous! Yes, JS is past their prime; but then again, so are we! Did anyone hear me signing White Rabbit in the shower the next morning? :-) Being right up front (we moved there after the exodus) was thrilling. I admire people the accomplishments, even tho they can't perform like they used it.

Mike Leslie
Leslie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Scott. First of all, it's TWO-niner. Big difference in job description.

Since we are talking personal experience, Winnebago performed thousands of dollars of work (not repairs) and the cost?? No charge, Customer Good Will.

The band, and I use that term incorrectly was terrible. (I am a Jefferson Airplane fan) but whoever that was, it wasn't them.

We probably won't be back next year either.

Kerry
Kerry,
Well Sir, I'm incredibly sorry for the incorrect user name application. As you can see and read, my memory is not all that good. Yep, lots of folks had the factory service center do repairs/adjustments and, for the most part, all were happy with the results. I didn't need any work done so, that part of going there was not needed.

The factory, 8-person tour was the highlight of my trip. It was great to be on the factory floor and asking questions of the folks that were doing the assembling of new Winnes and Itascas. We, a couple of friends and I did attend some of the seminars and, well lets just say we didn't learn anything. I guess it's because we've done so much for ourselves, for so many decades, they just couldn't show, teach or, help us with anything. I thought I'd give it a try though.

We too will most likely not return to the next GNR. It's like another member stated, it's not our cup of tea.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

So what is next years theme? We were here in the tail end of June for service but did not attend this years rally as we had made other plans with the traveling.
There are some of the nicest folks there in Forest City! One of the best pizzas on the planet at Shooterz. They need to have more vendors. There is lots to do there.
Buddy Holly crash site is one. Shopping Mason City. Nice Bicycle trails from the Rally grounds to Pilot Knob...Some History there. That's where they held the Rally back in the day's. We will be there next year and hope to meet you folks!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

It was our first GNR and we were impressed. Like some of the other posters, we were expecting more vendors to be at the Rally (Renogy said they were going to be there ... and when we got there with questions ready there was no Renogy and no solar vendors at all! ... wow!). GNR staff is amazing. CustService staff is amazing. The Freightliner and Cummins folks actually both came out to my site to look at my MH -- no charge. Dometic and BlueOx booths were always packed with people -- very popular. We did as many seminars as we could -- learned something new in every class. No mosquitoes and no rain was a great perk. Even ran the 'Puckerbrush 5K' on Saturday morning! Favorite part was the Factory Tour. Second favorite was the socialization and meeting sooooo many new friends. Worst part was definitely the unlevel grounds -- ugh! Regardless, we will be going again, for sure! It is an absolute hoot! \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140716_185617c.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	69141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140716_192517c.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	69142  

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Just asked DW -- she says the Women on Wheels class was her favorite. Also, the theme next year is "Down Under: Australia" I believe. Here are a couple more pix. \ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140715_190230c.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	69143   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140716_185605c.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	69144  

Name:	20140719_200114c.jpg