Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Where to Find Travel Companion?

I am a recently widowed (20 months) retired senior with a class A RV, that is tired of RVing alone with two small dogs. Not looking for an intimate partner but someone that has the time and would like to discover America. Don't even know where to begin to look. Not looking for volunteers but rather a place to begin looking. Don't suggest dating sites, they all see $$$.
ADMIN: Delete this if inappropriate.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

Good luck, sorry about your loss.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This has all kinds of ways that need to take into account the personal aspects of choosing the pardner.
Things like how "shy"you might be??
What I might think a place to start would be the RV campgrounds where there may be like minded campers that would understand and welcome the idea of teaming up.

Hanging around the weekly pot luck might turn up just the right dish?

I have a brother that has faced the decision of how to replace a dearly loved wife---only he has had to do it twice! He set down a list of items that he required and just put out a posting ,looking for what he wanted. He had to become somewhat bold and tell more than one that they were simply not "qualified" but after 6-8 months, he seems to have found a real jewel in the bunch.

But that may not fit you at all as he fully admits that he had to become really hardened to facts after first wife dying of cancer after 36 years, second of heart and smoking after 18 years! That experience of watching them slowly die has him now telling the current jewel she may only get half as long, so plan for 9 years!

One has to know oneself??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Travel companion

Hello. I, too, am a widow who loves camping. I live in rural Ottawa, Canada. We had a small travel trailer/ truck, which my wise husband ensured I knew how to drive. Parking it was a different matter, but I entertained a few campers with my efforts. John died in early 2018 and I realized that if I wanted to continue to camp, I needed a rethink. I was very lucky to find a 2009 Winnebago View, in immaculate condition, with only 16,000km on it. A life insurance legacy bought it for me, so I see this as John’s last gift to me. A retired teacher, I had a number of friends who were interested to see how things would work out. I’m sure a few thought I was mad. But one put me in touch with a friend of hers, also recently widowed, who had bought a brand new Roadtrek with a plan to travel through Canada. We met, got on well and camped together a few times. We decided, early on, that it would work best if we each drove our own rig and socialized at our destination. We had so much fun that we thought it would be a good idea to firm an informal camping group. We were able to place a notice in Explorer Magazine, saying who we were ( two retired teachers)and what our objectives were (to meet up with like minded camping enthusiasts). We had a good response and formed the Solo (plus) Campers. There are 5 RVs and 7 campers, as we have two couples. Over the last 3 years we have had a great time, despite Covid. I had 6 rigs camped in my driveway, and we all visited a couple who live north of Toronto. As soon as restrictions allowed, we planned short stays at local Provincial Parks and a couple of our group headed off to the West coast. We decided to visit Newfoundland this last summer. It was a return visit for several of us, and a new experience for a couple of others. We even co-opted a Camper from Florida and gave him an honorary membership for the trip. 5 weeks of amazing experiences. We camped in some beautiful spots, both designated campgrounds and boondocking. I had never done this before, and was a little nervous. Camping with the group meant you were never out there alone. Which, after all, was the purpose of having a group. We split up a few times and regrouped as we travelled. I travel with a new puppy, which had some challenges, but he is a great co pilot. I celebrated my 79th birthday on this trip. I am fit and healthy, my kids think I am slightly mad, but I am not ready to slow down yet. So, unless you feel you need another driver to share the load, consider joining, or forming, a group of travel companions.
Good luck. If you ever come north, there is lots of room in my driveway.
Katy 2
Katy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Look here

Posters to this forum might be able to offer some guidance.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f98/
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
Look here

Posters to this forum might be able to offer some guidance.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f98/
Thanks Airboss68. Are you a Naval Aviation vet?
Old 10-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Jarhead
:d
Old 10-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I was P-3 Orion aircrew from '65 to '68. I associate Airboss with carrier air ops.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Avionics tech 67-71
Old 10-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

ATR-2 (Avionics Tech Radar). Inflight technician and RADAR operator.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

MAD NATTC NAS MEMPHIS

I am guessing you, at one time, had a similar address but without the MAD.

Did the thread on the other forum give you any insight into your need?
Old 10-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

NATTC NAS Memphis from 9/64 to 5/65. Then Barber's Point Hawaii.
Yes, the link was very helpful, joined the group.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Greetings
I'm in the same boat, been 4 yrs.

What I have done is sign up for volunteering with ' Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanners'.
They have home building projects all over the country.

Tipicle build lasts 2 weeks. Sometimes can sign up for more.
Do not need construction experience, they will teach you.
Could be anything from landscape work to painting to carpentry. All depends on the stage of the house.

Sometimes the camping is free, sometimes reduced.

I've met and worked with great people from all over the country.

This year I've done 4 builds for a total of 8 weeks. Last year, 6 builds in 4 states for 12 weeks.

Check out the current list builds and see if you want to give it a try.

https://www.habitat.org/cd/rv/schedule.aspx

Hope to see you out there
Dan
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I am a recently widowed (20 months) retired senior with a class A RV, that is tired of RVing alone with two small dogs. Not looking for an intimate partner but someone that has the time and would like to discover America. Don't even know where to begin to look. Not looking for volunteers but rather a place to begin looking. Don't suggest dating sites, they all see $$$.
ADMIN: Delete this if inappropriate.
https://rvsingles.org/
My dear departed best friend belonged to this group for many years after his wife passed. He had many fun adventures with them.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Travel Companion

Hello,
Although I am a widow of 8 years, I have been camping alone for even longer than that because my husband did not enjoy it.
I have been in several groups and enjoyed meeting the people, but I realized I would much prefer finding a travel partner with shared interests. It would be nice to have someone to share the beauty with, and in my case, a lot less frightening to go on longer trips.
I also, have not really known how to go about finding someone and not interested in dating forums. I'm thinking it could be hard, because different people have different interests and goals. But I'm interested in discussing it.

CamperFan
Camper Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f98/its-...me-599090.html

Tags
travel