Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #21

Wash & Wax

I use 'Mothers' wash & wax or something like it every time I wash. And about twice a year I use a good quality cleaner wax. (Meguires, Mothers, etc. ) I prefer to use a cleaner wax because there's always some dirt left behind after washing.

I don't know how many wax bottles I've broken over the years. Even when I have a steady work platform they always seem to fall and hit the ground 'just right' to crack the ultra thin plastic. When I find one that survives multiple falls I hang on to it when it's empty and use it for any wax it will hold. I've been using the same Meguires squeeze bottle for a couple if years now.

For black streaks I use 'Awesome Orange' from the Dollar Store. It works better than black streak remover and doesn't burn your skin if you leave it on too long. Doesn't seem to remove wax either, but I always wax after using it anyway. It's awesome stuff, but the sprayer they give you for $1 is junk! Get a Zep spray bottle and it will last for years.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
Site Team

That's funny...I broke my bottle of 303 protectant after the third drop.. :-)
Also, no paint on the Big White Box...just gel coat and decals.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #23

Now THAT'S funny!

I shouldhave spoken up sooner!

One of those water bottles with valve works well with 303. It's not as thick as most waxes.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #24
Site Team

No problem...happened to have an empty spray bottle with me and just kept going! Glad it's done until Spring!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
That's funny...I broke my bottle of 303 protectant after the third drop.. :-)
Also, no paint on the Big White Box...just gel coat and decals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I shouldhave spoken up sooner!

One of those water bottles with valve works well with 303. It's not as thick as most waxes.
Glad I'm not alone when it comes to dropping and breaking full bottles of spray wax! I can't tell you how many I've broken through the years!! Like others I have also transferred the wax from the ultra thin plastic container to a more durable kind.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramwheel View Post
I tryed the waterless wash and wax for aircraft and rv. It sure was lot easier to put on and off. Put it on several weeks ago so far it sure looks good with a deep shine and with the antic-static don't have dust or water streaks. The product name Wash and Wax all. I sure happy with out come.
X2--This is what I use and it works great. I would recommend starting with a clean RV before using. Keeps a nice high gloss shine all season. Only need the occasional rinse to clean it after the first use.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
X2--This is what I use and it works great. I would recommend starting with a clean RV before using. Keeps a nice high gloss shine all season. Only need the occasional rinse to clean it after the first use.
Todd
Todd is that the Mother's brand waterless Wash & Wax or is there a specific name for it?
I agree as far as making sure it's clean first. I use a waterless wipe & wax made by Turtle Wax ( which works great BTW) on my motorcycle but it just goes against my instincts to wipe a clean soft rag on a gritty, dirty surface so I make sure that it is clean first.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Todd is that the Mother's brand waterless Wash & Wax or is there a specific name for it?
I agree as far as making sure it's clean first. I use a waterless wipe & wax made by Turtle Wax ( which works great BTW) on my motorcycle but it just goes against my instincts to wipe a clean soft rag on a gritty, dirty surface so I make sure that it is clean first.
It is Wash n WaxAll. Different than Mothers.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi Jim,
Mine is from a company called AeroCosmetics. It was profiled in last years MotorHome spring (April/May?) issue. The product is called waterless washwax all. It was designed for private jets and can be used on painted surfaces. a gallon is about 42 bucks but that should last at least 4 years on my 32 footer including the roof. Even though the directions don't specify it I would recommend a thorough cleaning before using it for the first time. If you do use it on you roof be very careful as it is extremely slippery after it is applied (almost nothing sticks to it).
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Forgot to mention for quick in between washes I use TurtleWax wash and wax.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

For an unpainted rig I have had good results from PolyGlow. It lasts years and only requires light washings every now and then with a quick touch up once a year. Touch up is with a chamey mounted on a broom stick. I wash the coach with a sponge mop or a swifter most times now.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Have used Eagle One wax as you dry for ten years and rig still looks new. Its easy on and just dry with a towl takes about 2 hours to do the whole rig. Also use it on the jeep and prius after each wash.....love it
Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
It is Wash n WaxAll. Different than Mothers.
Thanks. I'll Google where I can buy some. That is unless Walmart or an Auto Parts store carries it locally.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi Jim,
Mine is from a company called AeroCosmetics. It was profiled in last years MotorHome spring (April/May?) issue. The product is called waterless washwax all. It was designed for private jets and can be used on painted surfaces. a gallon is about 42 bucks but that should last at least 4 years on my 32 footer including the roof. Even though the directions don't specify it I would recommend a thorough cleaning before using it for the first time. If you do use it on you roof be very careful as it is extremely slippery after it is applied (almost nothing sticks to it).
Todd
Hi Todd,
Well once again I am following your recommendation and purchased the Wash & Wax All. I had to by it on line. Actually I called the place by way of a Google search, spoke to David, and ordered a gallon for $37.00 I think it was. Before I ordered it I went to Walmart, and a couple of auto part stores in the Whitinsville area which usually carry a pretty good supply of car care products but neither one of them carried it. Both stores BTW, pointed me towards other leading brands but I told them that I specifically wanted the Wash & Wax All brand. If I had a nickel for every newfangled car wax that comes out ( which I seem to be a sucker for), you've seen them I'm sure, using such space age names as: Teflon, Nano technology, Griot's Spray on Wax, etc. etc., I could by us both a large Starbuck coffee!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi Todd,
Well once again I am following your recommendation and purchased the Wash & Wax All. I had to by it on line. Actually I called the place by way of a Google search, spoke to David, and ordered a gallon for $37.00 I think it was. Before I ordered it I went to Walmart, and a couple of auto part stores in the Whitinsville area which usually carry a pretty good supply of car care products but neither one of them carried it. Both stores BTW, pointed me towards other leading brands but I told them that I specifically wanted the Wash & Wax All brand. If I had a nickel for every newfangled car wax that comes out ( which I seem to be a sucker for), you've seen them I'm sure, using such space age names as: Teflon, Nano technology, Griot's Spray on Wax, etc. etc., I could by us both a large Starbuck coffee!
Hi Jim,
I'm pretty sure you will like the results. I do my big wash and wax at the start of the season and it usually takes me about three 8 hour sessions to get it all done. And I do mean all, from every inch of the roof to the chrome valve stems. The wash wax all works great on everything but the tires (it will clean them but not shine them). here are some tips that are not covered in the instructions which I found to be useful. When you do your initial cleaning (prior to using the wash wax all) be sure to clean in small areas and then dry so you don't leave any water spots. The wash wax all will not remove or cover water spots. I found this out the hard way and wound up rewashing the Cambria. If you have seen the pic of my Cambria the red and black will really highlight water spots. I use the Mr Clean Auto Dry system to rinse after cleaning and it solved my water spot issue. And if you do your roof be very careful as this stuff makes the surface very slippery. Once you have your rig cleaned and apply the waterless wash wax all the shine is awesome (really shows up nice in my red and black areas, it looks like your RV just got a fresh coat of clear coat. I have found that dirt and bugs easily clean off when I do my quick cleanings with Turtle Wax wash and wax cleaner. I have had people in 45 foot luxury (and very nice looking) coaches stop by and tell me how nice the Cambria looked. Which we thought was pretty cool. I hope it works well for you.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

We were introduced to EZ Detailer Homepage | Carnauba Wax Tire Wax several years ago and will never go back to the labor intensive routines of the past. Amazing stuff folks and makes maintaining your RV much easier.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Here's the top and side I finished today...will tackle the rest tomorrow..
WOW! Incredible.....looks brand new! I hope to achieve such great results with the Poly Glow. RVguy40 is gonna come help me..... I wish!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi Jim,
I'm pretty sure you will like the results. I do my big wash and wax at the start of the season and it usually takes me about three 8 hour sessions to get it all done. And I do mean all, from every inch of the roof to the chrome valve stems. The wash wax all works great on everything but the tires (it will clean them but not shine them). here are some tips that are not covered in the instructions which I found to be useful. When you do your initial cleaning (prior to using the wash wax all) be sure to clean in small areas and then dry so you don't leave any water spots. The wash wax all will not remove or cover water spots. I found this out the hard way and wound up rewashing the Cambria. If you have seen the pic of my Cambria the red and black will really highlight water spots. I use the Mr Clean Auto Dry system to rinse after cleaning and it solved my water spot issue. And if you do your roof be very careful as this stuff makes the surface very slippery. Once you have your rig cleaned and apply the waterless wash wax all the shine is awesome (really shows up nice in my red and black areas, it looks like your RV just got a fresh coat of clear coat. I have found that dirt and bugs easily clean off when I do my quick cleanings with Turtle Wax wash and wax cleaner. I have had people in 45 foot luxury (and very nice looking) coaches stop by and tell me how nice the Cambria looked. Which we thought was pretty cool. I hope it works well for you.
Todd
Todd,
I have seen pictures of your Cambria and it "pops"!
I don't know if I will do three, eight hour sessions on my Navion, but then again my results obviously won't be as good as yours. I do enjoy thoroughly wash and detailing my motorcycle, but that takes just a few hrs. I should mention that on the MC I use the Metro Air Force Blaster air dryer. It's great for getting into all the chrome nooks & cranny's.
But, I digressed. I checked out the Mr. Clean Auto Dry and I was wondering. After we wash the vehicle what happens next? We spray the Auto Dry on and it drys by itself? Is that right??? I like that idea because I spend a great deal of time wiping off the water on my truck with either a chamois cloth, or the California Wiper Blade, which works great but as noted, it is a time eater.
In any event, I anxiously await my gallon of Wash & Wax All. As an aside, when I called to oreder it the fellow there proudly told me that they use it on Air Force One!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Todd,
I have seen pictures of your Cambria and it "pops"!
I don't know if I will do three, eight hour sessions on my Navion, but then again my results obviously won't be as good as yours. I do enjoy thoroughly wash and detailing my motorcycle, but that takes just a few hrs. I should mention that on the MC I use the Metro Air Force Blaster air dryer. It's great for getting into all the chrome nooks & cranny's.
But, I digressed. I checked out the Mr. Clean Auto Dry and I was wondering. After we wash the vehicle what happens next? We spray the Auto Dry on and it drys by itself? Is that right??? I like that idea because I spend a great deal of time wiping off the water on my truck with either a chamois cloth, or the California Wiper Blade, which works great but as noted, it is a time eater.
In any event, I anxiously await my gallon of Wash & Wax All. As an aside, when I called to oreder it the fellow there proudly told me that they use it on Air Force One!
Hi Jim,
Yup, I'm probably a little bit anal when I do the big cleaning. All the cleanings for the rest of the season are just an hour or two. Your Navion is a bit smaller and from your avatar pic looks to be mostly white so it should be a lot easier and faster to clean. The Mr Clean Auto Dry uses deionizing cartridges to remove hard water contaminants that cause water spots. I have both dried with a shammy and let it air dry both work pretty good. I was not to impressed with the soap that comes with it so I just use my stand by TurtleWax for the cleaning and then turn the lever to rinse. It is the rinse cartridge that that gives the waterspot free rinse. An air dryer, now that is a pretty cool idea. Is that just like compressed air? the people at Aero Cosmetics do get pretty excited about their stuff. They have a pretty good website that includes videos and tutorials. Shirley got me a whole kit last year for our anniversary and so far I have used just about everything in it at least once.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi Jim,
Yup, I'm probably a little bit anal when I do the big cleaning. All the cleanings for the rest of the season are just an hour or two. Your Navion is a bit smaller and from your avatar pic looks to be mostly white so it should be a lot easier and faster to clean. The Mr Clean Auto Dry uses deionizing cartridges to remove hard water contaminants that cause water spots. I have both dried with a shammy and let it air dry both work pretty good. I was not to impressed with the soap that comes with it so I just use my stand by TurtleWax for the cleaning and then turn the lever to rinse. It is the rinse cartridge that that gives the waterspot free rinse. An air dryer, now that is a pretty cool idea. Is that just like compressed air? the people at Aero Cosmetics do get pretty excited about their stuff. They have a pretty good website that includes videos and tutorials. Shirley got me a whole kit last year for our anniversary and so far I have used just about everything in it at least once.
Todd
Maybe so, but it is that anal perfectionism that I admire because you want to get it right the first time, as do I.
The Metro Air Force Blaster was originally invented for dog grooming. It uses warm, filtered air for drying. Many motorcyclist use it on their bikes as it eliminates water spots and streaking. Also, a thoroughly dried bike is less prone to develop rust spots. It works good but despite the claim that it cleans in minutes ( which I suppose it does if you count many minutes!) you have to work at getting it totally dry because as you blow dry the one side of the bike the water doesn't really dry instantly but rather shrinks into small droplets that migrate to the other side of the bike which you have to go around to and dry them but as you do that, the same thing happens. Eventually it does completely dry and it does do a good job. I never considered doing the MH with it.
As an aside, I noticed that Flagg RV sells what looks like a giant squeegee for around $25.00. Well I happened to notice a similar on at Ocean State Job Lot in Northbridge for $12.00. What I bought that one for was to try using it as a sort of California Wiping Blade to dry the MH. Oh, an it also hooks up to your garden hose to use as a brick driveway cleaner as originally intended.