Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Washer & Dryer, Vent or No Vent???

Hi Guys:

When my coach was new it came with a Splendide washer/dryer combo. The original owner had it removed and had sun shades installed instead.

In mine the whole setup is there, hookups, vent and all. In my search for a used WD combo unit, is it better to go VENT or VENTLESS??

Do the ventless units dry as good as the vented units? I came accross a ventless used unit, but was wondering if there is a major difference in performance.

Thanks... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have had three WD units in three different rvs. The ones that dried best for us were vented. Maybe someone else had a different result.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'd be very cautious about not venting the dryer exhaust to the outside of your unit. In colder weather condensation accumultion is a problem in many motorhomes. Moisture has to go somewhere and in the case of unvented dryers it usually ends up collecting and running down your interior walls. Breathing, showering and cooking are normal sources of condensation which must be dealt with. Why add to the problem
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

A ventless dryer does not vent inside the RV. The vent tube is inserted into the drain into the gray tank. I have been using a Majestic ventless for 6 years and it is used 5 months in FL during the winter. It works great and dries quickly. Have never used a vented model, but the only difference is one vents outside and the other into the gray tank.
jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We use the LG truly ventless for five years-dries using hot water-no wrinkles! Would not go back to Splendide.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have the ventless washer dryer, works fine. This is first one we have had, have owned 3 motor homes. Would not be without one, vented or unvented.
Happy Travels
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that mean that there is no such thing as ventless, just a matter of where its vented. Outside or into gray tank drain. If both are available, I think I would go with the outside.
Sometimes when wife washes new towels or such, a really lot of lint is generated. I have had to clean the inside filter and the outside grill.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

when we redid our DP we removed the swivel rocker chair behind the passenger (co-pilot) chair and installed the splendide washer/dryer there. because we arent sure if we will keep it in future years, we vented out the small window, with a hose and small painted board, velcro'ed in place to keep out the bugs. I have the vent kit just not wanting to make the permanant commitment of cutting the hole to the outside. works fine
xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that mean that there is no such thing as ventless, just a matter of where its vented. Outside or into gray tank drain. If both are available, I think I would go with the outside.
Sometimes when wife washes new towels or such, a really lot of lint is generated. I have had to clean the inside filter and the outside grill.
Yup, some ventless are truly ventless(LG)-no lint as they dry with hot water not air.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ventless units basically boil the clothes dry. They are pieces of junk. get a vented model.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have the LG ventless and would not go any other way with a new one. Shake the cloths when they come out of the drier and they look like you just ironed them.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Ventless units basically boil the clothes dry. They are pieces of junk. get a vented model.
How do you think a vented dryer works, it uses heat and boils the water out the same way a ventless does.
jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The previous owner of our coach also removed the ventless washer and installed shelves. We had one put back in. Initially, I was very skeptical of a ventless washer/dryer combo, but I've been very happy with it. While it does have a cycle to wash and then go immediately to dry, I generally separate the two cycles if I have something heavy (like towels), and will shake the items out before sending it to dry. The directions mention that you should always use liquid fabric softener to help the drying cycle or they will be all mashed up on one section of the dryer, but I don't like using fabric softener with towels, so the shaking-out method seems to work well.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

we had the splendide ventless for 8 years it uses hot water steam to dry the clothes but the clothes usually had to be hung for few minutes before putting them away and it took a few hours to dry them, we now have a vented outside washer dryer like in your home we would never go back to a ventless
Old 08-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hey Jim,
Ours is vented, it seems to work just fine.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Dryers

We have experienced both condensing (commonly called "ventless") and vented. Each have their own trade offs, and for us, we found better, faster and less wrinkled results with the vented units.

My understanding of condensing dryers is that they use heat to warm the clothes, and then pass that warm air through a sort of heat exchanger (or the inner drum!), which is cooled with either water (splendide) or air. Condensing units are very popular in europe and other areas where venting is not easy (like high rise condo's etc). Most condensing units not only expel water from the heat exchange process, they actually use water to dry, as much as 5 gallons, the splendid does.
Description of Splendide Vented and Ventless Laundry Centers

As I understand, vented units are faster, use less energy and water, and may yield better results, depending on the unit, load, and practices.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent