Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Unhappy The Stink Bug Blues

Howdy,

We’ve been home for about a month now so I’ve been puttering with a lot of projects, repairs, and upgrades. Every day when I go into the motor home there they are, Stink Bugs doing their stink bug “thing”.

Not a whole herd, but three of four more than I want as house guests each day. I extricate them with whatever means I have handy, the cordless vacuum, paper towel, or finger flick. I’d like to know where they are all coming from. Are they getting inside somehow, or are they already inside hibernating someplace and waking up? Either way I’ve had enough of the little turds. I wonder if I can claim them as dependents??...
Old 05-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Don’t hurt them. It’s not PC, and this is be kind to stink bug week. They’re not as bad as mice in the RV, and they don’t eat much.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Don’t hurt them. It’s not PC, and this is be kind to stink bug week. They’re not as bad as mice in the RV, and they don’t eat much.

No doubt get me another seven day suspension from Facebook too,,,, three more days to go
Old 05-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'll gladly take your stink bugs in trade for our love bugs. You gotta accept two for one though, because ours come in pairs.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I'll gladly take your stink bugs in trade for our love bugs. You gotta accept two for one though, because ours come in pairs.
Now that’s a tough choice right there. Let’s see,…

Love bugs, two for one, they are on the outside of the coach (I think), they don’t stink like*&^%#$, but washing them off is a PITA. I’m sure I missed a lot of qualities too…

Stink bugs are inside the coach, smell like %$#%#, leave nasty little black spots on things, and did I mention they taste terrible.

Tough call…

A couple years ago the Mrs. had a pot of her “Death by Baked Beans” cooking on the stove, they’re way too awesome to describe. The time finally came and I shoveled a mess into a bowl, took a big mouthful and almost puked. A stink bug somehow got into the pot likely toward the end of the cook since she tastes them during the process,,, ruined the whole mess in a big way. I guess my opinion of them has been severely tainted from that point on… The trade is sounding pretty good right about now
Old 05-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Well, lovebugs will destroy a paint job in 2-3 days and are harder than HE** to remove. They also arrive in swarms, which makes avoiding them impossible. I've encountered stink bugs but never in significant quantity. My wife has NEVER added them to her baked beans but hers are equally exceptional. She grew up in West Virginia and definitely knows how to cook.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Do you know where you got the little suckers?

We got inundated 2 years ago at Lums Pond in Delaware and I found another dead one today.

We're planning on staying in West Chester end of June, and sure don't want to get any more.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Many years ago we were infested with stink bugs that we picked up at Lung Park, Quantico, VA. I used a bomb with an ingredient I can't remember that will kill the little suckers. Only problem was months, years later one would show up. When we got infested we vacuumed thousands of those little devils. I'm not kidding about the numbers either.

Good luck, don't let the stink bugs bite.

Love bugs? We call them "Telephone Bugs," because they are always hung up!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
Do you know where you got the little suckers?

We've had them in Lancaster County for years now. If I understand correctly they originated in a shipment of goods from China to Allentown, PA in 1996. The rest is history.

The latest "gift" from China in our area is the Spotted Lantern Fly. Another invasive insect species that damages trees, grapevines, and other plants.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We moved into a house with several apple trees. Our dog alerted us to spots moving on the walls. Internet research said they were stink bugs, and only recently found in some Washington state apple orchards.
I have been careful not to crush them as I get rid of them so I don't know if they actually stink, or if they are the same species as on the East coast.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote