Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #101
Winnebago Owner

Concern for Quality Control

First, I want to say we love our coach. Our coach is probably no different than any other coach when they are new. We have to work the bugs out and fix those minor things on break in.

My disappointment comes from writing a letter to the company and not even receiving a response. I took the time to write Winnebago and address my issues I am experiencing on my new coach, and how they could have been avoided with a good QA process.

I realize I am one of many customer's, however, I still deserve a simple response.

Oh well....
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #102
Winnebago Owner

I have sent WBGO three e-mails to CS and have gotten a response back within 5-10 business days on all three questions. These days an e-mail is more likely to get a response than a letter. It's much faster, way easier and the preferred method by industry.

Social media (twitter, insta-gram, texting and the others) actually consider e-mail outdated. It is still the preferred method by most industries because they know most everybody has an e-mail account. There is a large section of the population that still has and uses e-mail. The only other media I've used is texting. That's primarily used for short comments, questions etc. If we were still in the family raising and working mode texting would probably have its place.

TeJay
Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #103
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I have sent WBGO three e-mails to CS and have gotten a response back within 5-10 business days on all three questions. These days an e-mail is more likely to get a response than a letter. It's much faster, way easier and the preferred method by industry.

Social media (twitter, insta-gram, texting and the others) actually consider e-mail outdated. It is still the preferred method by most industries because they know most everybody has an e-mail account. There is a large section of the population that still has and uses e-mail. The only other media I've used is texting. That's primarily used for short comments, questions etc. If we were still in the family raising and working mode texting would probably have its place.

TeJay
The social media providers may feel e mail is outdated, but in many cases it offers more options. In addition to the advantages you already mentioned E mail messages can be virtually unlimited in size and have attachments like pictures and PDF files. They can be easily distributed through in house electronic networks without fear of spreading viruses.

In many cases a written letter may be sent to the wrong person. If or when that happens it has to be manually routed to the correct person for response. Rather than taking 5 minutes to make an electronic response the recipient has to paraphrase the information into a new document, make the appropriate response to each inquiry, print the new document, find and address an envelope to the sender, pay the proper postage, and make sure it gets to the proper location for mail pickup.

It may not sound like much, but physically writing and mailing a letter may take 15 or 20 minutes out of someone's busy schedule. If they have a hundred or more correspondences to make on a daily basis that's the only thing they would be doing. In the scheme of things responding to customer inquiries is only a small portion of most employees responsibilities.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #104
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
First, I want to say we love our coach. Our coach is probably no different than any other coach when they are new. We have to work the bugs out and fix those minor things on break in.

My disappointment comes from writing a letter to the company and not even receiving a response. I took the time to write Winnebago and address my issues I am experiencing on my new coach, and how they could have been avoided with a good QA process.

I realize I am one of many customer's, however, I still deserve a simple response.

Oh well....
You are not the first to state this complaint. Snail mail seems to get no response. If there is too much of it arriving the company could do a couple of positive things to slow it down: 1/ Find and fix the common complaints. 2/ Improve QC.

The majority of the problems start with poor QC and are then exasperated by really poor service from the delivering RV dealers. I have read, many times over, where a simple problem has escalated into a very major issue because the dealer made things worse.

Our only hope is to keep hammering this forum with the QC problems boldly posted for the insiders at Winnebago to read. I am lead to believe that the company has folks monitoring this forum. So far the monitors are someplace between blind eyed and stonewalled. We seem to be loosing ground with the QC issue in general. This is a sad statement to have to make on such a potentially fine RV. For most of us, once the QC issues are worked out the rigs serve fine for many years if we do our part as responsible owners.

I hope you get all of your QC issues behind you soon and that your time on the road of RV adventures is full of fun and wonderful adventures.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #105
Winnie-Wise

Our dealer is GOLDEN and any questions I have sent to Winnebago have been answered promptly.

I have phoned customer service several times with questions and have been extremely pleased with their response.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #106
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
While following these threads I read about major problems with QC, customer service, and warranty concerns. This in turn gives us all the idea that Winnebago is a terrible company that does not care about the customer, only the almighty dollar. I have started this thread to hear from owners that are happy with their Winnebago/Itasca products and customer service. I have a 2011 Ellipse 42QD that I am extremely happy with. I have great support from my local dealer and when I have had to contact customer service with a question it was answered intelligently and courteously. How about it happy owners, let's hear from you.
I'm very happy with ours. Bought it new in 2010. Never been back to the dealer for service, repair or anything. Once to the factory for a stripped gear (Power Gear problem) on a slideout, not Winnebago's fault. No charge for a whole new slideout arm; including motor, wiring harness, etc.

Fun time at the factory service center. Friendly, helpful, competent service personnel. Each owner is assigned a head service technician that takes care of your coach.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #107
Winnebago Owner

Count me in as a very satisfied Winnebago owner!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #108
Winnebago Camper

We have been full time in ours for 6 months now and are very happy with our choice.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 08-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #109
Winnebago Owner

As most of you can tell I post a lot on the forums. I find it fun and informative. Any way I have been posting and working on getting our new coach to ride as well as I can get it to ride. We didn't have the $$$$ to go for a DP and I am not a familiar with the DP as I am the gassers. This is our second V-10 F-53 chassis. I know I'll not have a DP ride but I'll get close. So far it's good.

I've contacted WBGO CS three times and have gotten some answers. The last one did not help so I've sent another message. Probably won't have a good response because except for a complete replacement of a window I don't think they can fix it. They have already replaced the rubber gasket and that didn't work. We can't open the window in the main living area. The rubber gasket balls up and the window won't open more than a few inches. Replacing the gasket didn't work and neither does any lubrication. I've tried what they recommended.

Other than that we are happy with the product. We'd buy another WBGO if and when we are ever in the market. I think you get the biggest bang for the buck.

TeJay
Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #110
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The social media providers may feel e mail is outdated, but in many cases it offers more options. In addition to the advantages you already mentioned E mail messages can be virtually unlimited in size and have attachments like pictures and PDF files. They can be easily distributed through in house electronic networks without fear of spreading viruses.
Additionally, an email "memorializes" the fact that CS was contacted in case a company claims they were never contacted and tries to weasel out of honoring a warranty repair. If they do, you've got proof.

Along with that, follow-up with a phone call.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #111
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
As most of you can tell I post a lot on the forums. I find it fun and informative. Any way I have been posting and working on getting our new coach to ride as well as I can get it to ride. We didn't have the $$$$ to go for a DP and I am not a familiar with the DP as I am the gassers. This is our second V-10 F-53 chassis. I know I'll not have a DP ride but I'll get close. So far it's good.

I've contacted WBGO CS three times and have gotten some answers. The last one did not help so I've sent another message. Probably won't have a good response because except for a complete replacement of a window I don't think they can fix it. They have already replaced the rubber gasket and that didn't work. We can't open the window in the main living area. The rubber gasket balls up and the window won't open more than a few inches. Replacing the gasket didn't work and neither does any lubrication. I've tried what they recommended.

Other than that we are happy with the product. We'd buy another WBGO if and when we are ever in the market. I think you get the biggest bang for the buck.

TeJay
TeJay, did you have the window work done at the factory? If not, don't hesitate to head to Forest City. Get there before the weather turns bad and call ahead for an appointment. You may have to wait several weeks before you get in. If you don't belong to the WIT club I suggest you join now. It takes a month to get you into the discount loop at the factory. Also, Lichtsinn RV | Winnebago, Itasca, Winnebago Touring Coach could be another option. These folks have a very good reputation. I don't know how their hourly rates compare with the factory.

I hope you get this problem fixed to your satisfaction. If it has been that way from the beginning that is just another sad commentary on the QC issues of late from the factory build teams.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 08-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #112
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

We are on our 4th Winnebago and are very happy with their products. I started out with a 87 Minnie Winnie 24' Class C then a 96 Minnie Winnie 31; Class C, then a 2004 Adventurer 33' Class A and now a 2014 Adventurer 35P.

Every time I needed service or help with something I could fix Winnebago always helped me. Their product is great and their parts are super. Just think if you need a fresh water tank for and old coach you can get it from Winnebago as they make their parts. THey make most of the parts that go into a Winnebago other than appliances plus everything in a Winnebago will fit through the door not like some coaches that they have to remove the windshield.

The main problem today is that the techs don't take pride in their work and want to make top dollar. Since Camping World started servicing Winnebago
coaches the quality of service has gone downhill. There is only one Camping World I would recommend and that is in Robertsdale, Al. Lately I have been to 3 of them and boy do they have problems and are my you know what list. Their sales teams are not much better either.

In conclusion or my estimation, Winnebago makes a fine product but has to school the service techs how to take their time and have pride in their work in order to make their customers come back. I think most manufacturers have to that too.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #113
Winnebago Owner

I bought a BAGO - actually searched over the entire US for a 34HD model I could afford when I went shopping in 2007. This was my 3rd RV so I knew what I wanted. I went for a BAGO due to their design of RV specific features such as basement air, the power panel, and other BAGO only features. Also, there are a lot of them on the road - huge forum. I do think there is pretty big difference between the gas side and the DP side. I have friends who have had issues with the electric slides, and electric awnings. I have HWH slides and jacks and enjoy manual controls where possible. I just rolled 105K miles on my Horizon. As long as I can keep up on the maintenance, it should continue to serve us well. I avoid Dealers at all cost.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #114
Winnebago Camper

Lightsinn Terrific experiences. Had over 3000 in fixes,maintenance. Call justin overland He was great
morris61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #115
Winnebago Camper

I purchased ours new off the lot. To far from where I live to actually take it back to the dealer on an every case issue. I am in the 60-70-80 # range issues with Winnebago. So many I have lost track. For you folks that have been fortunate to not have things go wrong or that have had great luck with them fixing issues more power to you. Yes, we have used the philosophy of honey gets more than vinegar the entire time. But Winnebago is not the motorhome I would purchase again. To many quality control items. And other manufactures have them as well. But when one reads over and over the number of people who have complaints that Winnebago does not address their concerns and problems that is not a joke or an idle complaint. It is happening. Their reputation is not getting better it is going down hill. I am happy for you that have had good fortune. But it is not consistent and that is the reputation and the reality.
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #116
Winnie-Wise

Mackspot,

Sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with your Bago however they take care of their customers. Now maybe your dealer is Camping World and that would be a shame. I just came back from Forest City and got all my problems fixed plus the ones Camping World Screwed up.
THe problem at Winnebago recently was the CEO Mr Potts who wawas let go. He tried to push the coaches out to fast and naturally quality control suffered plus he changed the slide systems to Schwintek and should have left then HWH. The 2016 have power gear slide out mechanisms which seem to be much better.
You should make an appt. at Winnebago in Forest City, IA and get your problems fixed.
You do have a fine motorhome believe me me!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #117
Winnebago Master

My 2nd coach was a 2008 Itasca Cambria I bought in 3Q 2014, all systems worked perfectly and over the 10,000 miles and 1 year I owned it I only had to replace the spark ignitor / sensor on the hot water heater and tires, and replace a sewer compartment bottom door I damaged driving off a ferry. I was very impressed with the build quality and the availability of documentation and parts. Winnebago made a new exact replacement bottom door for the sewer compartment and charged me a very reasonable price for it.

My third coach is my first brand new one, a 2015 Winnebago Vista 27N I purchased in September. I would rate its build quality 9 of 10. The only issues I have had were minor for so such a complex machine:

I list the issues I have had on this new coach not to bash Winnebago but so others buying a new coach can see the type of problems that are typical when one buys a brand new coach from anyone. I also want buyers to know that most issues can be fixed by owner avoiding the trip cost and lost time cost of a trip to a dealer if they are somewhat handy.

- Shower stall leaked slightly, due to it not being caulked well enough at the factory.
- A couple of wood plugs hiding screws fell out.
- SiriusXM became intermittent after driving the new coach a few days, fixed loose antenna connector behind dash.
- MCD shades hung below valances on 2 windows. Adjusted them to my taste.
- Norcold Refrigerator was not reliable on propane, ignitor/flame sensor not positioned correctly, adjusted it.
- Bedroom double pane window has broken seal and moisture between panes. WILL REQUIRE WARRANTY REPAIR BY AUTHORIZED WINNEBAGO SERVICE LOCATION.

I can recommend Winnebago to anyone who asks.

I did buy my Winnebago at the Idaho Camping World because they beat other dealer's price less trade in by $ 8,000, but will likely get it serviced elsewhere given the general experience being reported by forum members geting RVs serviced at Camping Worlds.

I have also been very satisfied with Winnebago customer service. They are right in Forest City. I had a question on my 2015 Vista regarding how to get to the SiriusXM module behind the dash to check the antenna connection. The rep went to the factory floor to get the answer to my question and called me back with the answer in 1 business day. And, his answer was exactly right!
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #118
Winnebago Owner

In regards to my post #109. I've got the window mostly fixed. After three attempts from WBGO with not much help I posted on iRV2 forums and received the suggestion to use the product 303. Mind you there's almost nothing that I have not been able to fix. I tried everything: Baby powder, Talcum powder, took the glass out my self and shortened the gasket, (better but still not good), tried bees wax, furniture wax, 4 different kinds of silicone sprays and still nothing. Then I tried 303 and the stuff worked and has kept it working.

It's not perfect but at least it can be opened and closed by me or the DW. Then after WBGO passed my concern down to Lippert and they denied any help I sent a nasty gram to Lippert and 3 weeks later they sent me a new window.

I'll use 303 until such time as I decide and have time to replace the window. Also 303 is great to use on slide gaskets, exterior finish, leatherette upholstery, hinges, and many other items.

As far as WBGO RV's still love this coach and would buy another one. Nothing made these days is every going to be perfect or even close to it. For the $$$$$ they are as good as you'll find.

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 10-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #119
Winnebago Camper

Our 2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A has been about as close to perfect an RV as one can hope for. Currently has 82,000+ miles on it and no major issues other than some tire problems, which are the tire manufacturer's fault. In the five years we've owned it The only issues we've seen are a small roof leak (fixed) and a leaky propane regulator on the stove. That's it.
I would buy another in a heartbeat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 AM   #120
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post
I purchased ours new off the lot. To far from where I live to actually take it back to the dealer on an every case issue. I am in the 60-70-80 # range issues with Winnebago. So many I have lost track. For you folks that have been fortunate to not have things go wrong or that have had great luck with them fixing issues more power to you. Yes, we have used the philosophy of honey gets more than vinegar the entire time. But Winnebago is not the motorhome I would purchase again. To many quality control items. And other manufactures have them as well. But when one reads over and over the number of people who have complaints that Winnebago does not address their concerns and problems that is not a joke or an idle complaint. It is happening. Their reputation is not getting better it is going down hill. I am happy for you that have had good fortune. But it is not consistent and that is the reputation and the reality.
Forest City is one of the best places to get to get your coach fixed. Most of the dealers don't have a clue and charge $120 to $140/hr last time I checked. Make an appointment and join the WIT club at least a month before your go. Good discounts.

QC has been an issue for several model years now. Pots is gone as CEO. Let's see how the next CEO does. I hope he is NOT an engineer. They just don't seem to get a grip on reality very well. Even this '11, brought to us used, still suffers with QC issues. But, we still love the coach, flaws and all.

One major problem for many years was the use of Lippert. They just didn't work. We have Power-Gear on this coach and they have been very reliable.

We can never achieve the "Happy Camper" status if all of your fun money is going to incompetent service dealers. Your success of fix rate in Forest City, at the factory or the local dealer, may not be 100%, but it will be close, and a lot closer than with the dealers you have been subjected to.

Time for Happy Trails...

Rick Y