Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Safe-T-Plus Steering Control

The handling in my coach is pretty good, but I have been told that adding the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control would be that extra tweak to make the ride better than good. Has anyone added it and was it worth the money ?
Joe
Old 08-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would not be without it. Had it on my last coach and the first thing I did when I bought this one was to add it. Not only does it help with handling, I will never be without one because of it's function during a front tire blow out. Do a search on the forum either or me or Safe-T-Plus and you will find many comments about it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

This is my 2nd MH with one but my reasons were for better control in case of a blowout.

As for the ride, it's helped a little with side winds, passing trucks and ease of steering. Important thing is to have it adjusted properly or you will be fighting it more than you would without one. Don't know if it comes with the Safe-T-Plus now (mine did not) but there is a "Final Adjustment" procedure that is available by calling them. Make sure the shop has it.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Olive, only I went a step further and got the Blue Ox TruCenter. Strong gusts will still move me around a little, but I no longer have to fight the wind when it constantly tries to blow me from one side or the other. I just hit the TruCenter button and recenter the steering wheel. I hardly feel the semi's going by anymore and I feel safer in case of a blowout. The steering wheel going back to center on its own after turning in nice, too.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There are several different brands of steering control out there. I would not say TruCenter is necessarily better than Safe-T-Plus but does the same thing differently. We all have our preferences. I had to recently drive in cross winds of 35mph with gusts to 50 (usually I park it then) and had no trouble at all. Barely felt that wind most of the time as many truckers were complaining about it. I'm just a little thing too. The reason I went with Safe-T-Plus is that it does the job without having to hit a button.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I added the Safe T Plus after 6k miles on my coach to help with road wander. Love it and now have over 30k miles driving with it. I'm about to pull the trigger on adding the trim kit to it which allows adjustment while driving. I'd really recommend this. I've sure read a lot of great things about the tru center but it wasn't available when I put my Safe T Plus on.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
There are several different brands of steering control out there. I would not say TruCenter is necessarily better than Safe-T-Plus but does the same thing differently. We all have our preferences. I had to recently drive in cross winds of 35mph with gusts to 50 (usually I park it then) and had no trouble at all. Barely felt that wind most of the time as many truckers were complaining about it. I'm just a little thing too. The reason I went with Safe-T-Plus is that it does the job without having to hit a button.
I didn't mean to imply the TruCenter is any better than the Safe-T-Plus. The reason I said "I went one step further" is because of the TruCenter's feature of being able to adjust it on the fly and recenter the steering wheel.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I had never seen a Tru Center until this week when I was hanging out at the Winnie factory for three days. I was surprised to see the display which only shows a small stainless cylinder. I need to do a little more research to learn how they work because it sure is different from the very large, shock absorber type spring used by Safe T Plus but I don't think I've read a single negative comment about them. Come to think of it, I don't think I've come across anyone who didn't like their Safe T Plus either..... I think we're all just happy when we get something that makes driving our rigs more fun.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I would not be without it. Had it on my last coach and the first thing I did when I bought this one was to add it. Not only does it help with handling, I will never be without one because of it's function during a front tire blow out. Do a search on the forum either or me or Safe-T-Plus and you will find many comments about it.
I'm convinced, after reading all the comments, and I called my dealer to have him order it. Thanks to everyone for the info. Joe
Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I installed the Steer safe and won't ever be without it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

FYI - This is the info I received from Irene Blair at Safe-T-Plus

Final adjustments and test drive will have been accomplished at the time of installation. If you find that the unit is consistently pulling in one direction, then the work was never fully accomplished.

In our previous discussion, Safe-T-Plus is really a spring, pre-loaded towards the center. In that regard, it has a very definite middle position that must be matched up to the center of your steering system.

I never get it perfect the first time, but rarely require more than three trips underneath to finally get it right. This part takes patience, and usually another set of hands in assistance. Once complete though, this is a trouble free, maintenance free product.

During initial test drive of the vehicle I put a piece of tape on the rim of the steering wheel and another on the dash or window to mark center tracking “straight down the road”. I align these marks during the initial installation process. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number times I get it perfect first time out.

After installation, I test drive the vehicle again. Once again, I take note of where the steering wheel must be held to track straight down the road, and re-mark it accordingly. Be mindful that if you are holding 2 to 3 inches of steering wheel against the spring to track straight, it’s only 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch down below on the tie rod bracket.

A note here: I try to test with the most perfect conditions, straight road, no crown, freeways seem best for me, but I’ve also used parking lots too.

Now is where the extra hands come in handy. Pull in somewhere, and with the motor, steering pumps etc, all running; have someone hold that steering wheel firmly in exactly the proper position. Underneath, slightly loosen the 9/16 nuts on the tie rod bracket, tap the Safe-T-Plus unit a few times with your fist, or a rubber mallet, and let the internal spring push / pull the tie rod bracket into a neutral position. You may feel it move, more than see it, as were talking about very small increments.

Another note: At this point, take a moment to square-up the U-bolts as they lay up and across the tie rod. If you’ve left them askew, they may pull the bracket out of position as they tighten. Tighten everything back up. Dust yourself off.

Go test drive again. Remember this is the time to get it right, repeat if necessary, until you’re satisfied. Once completed you should be able to achieve holding your lane position for a ½ mile or so at freeway speeds, hands off.

Then go have some fun!
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE...Safe-T-Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I'm convinced, after reading all the comments, and I called my dealer to have him order it. Thanks to everyone for the info. Joe
I had the Safe-T-Plus installed and I really like the tighter feel of the steering. Does much better when encountering roads with unlevel sections from roadwork. It also cuts down the push/pull effect of passing semis. I haven't had a flat yet but I can imagine that the tighter steering would help if I had a front tire blowout. I don't like to drive in the wind, but on one outing it got windy when we were about 30 minutes from home and the handling was much better than before the unit was installed. It has lived up to expectations. Joe
Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
I didn't mean to imply the TruCenter is any better than the Safe-T-Plus. The reason I said "I went one step further" is because of the TruCenter's feature of being able to adjust it on the fly and recenter the steering wheel.

Well.. I'd not wish to IMPLY the TruCenter is better either.. Come right out and say it perhaps. but never imply

I will give everyone two facts about the true center (Well actually 4)

1: it comes in two "Weights" (Strengths) The one I have is 275 pounds, the other one is not as forceful (That is it presses on the tie-rod with up to 275 pounds of pressure to attempt to center your rig: I do not know the strength of any other stabilizer. but the TruCenter is 275 pounds (or at least mine is)

2: I know of no other stablizer where you just push a button to re-center it.. So when I replaced mine last week, and took off out of here, I found it was just a touch off center (To be expected) Now with a ____ or a ____ or a ____ (Fill in other brands) I'd have had to wait till I was parked, crawl under with wrench and hammer and adjust.. Then get out and find out either a: Went too far or B: Wrong way. With the Tru-Center I pushed the button.. Job done.

3: Blue Ox customer service..... Very very very very good. I know a few companies that are as good.. I'd not say I know one better.

4: Some of the older units (Pre-2006) had issues.. But I would be very surprised if you could even find one of those still in a box any more.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well.. I'd not wish to IMPLY the TruCenter is better either.. Come right out and say it perhaps. but never imply

1: it comes in two "Weights" (Strengths) The one I have is 275 pounds, the other one is not as forceful (That is it presses on the tie-rod with up to 275 pounds of pressure to attempt to center your rig: I do not know the strength of any other stabilizer. but the TruCenter is 275 pounds (or at least mine is)

2: I know of no other stablizer where you just push a button to re-center it.. So when I replaced mine last week, and took off out of here, I found it was just a touch off center (To be expected) Now with a ____ or a ____ or a ____ (Fill in other brands) I'd have had to wait till I was parked, crawl under with wrench and hammer and adjust.. Then get out and find out either a: Went too far or B: Wrong way. With the Tru-Center I pushed the button.. Job done.

3: Blue Ox customer service..... Very very very very good. I know a few companies that are as good.. I'd not say I know one better.

4: Some of the older units (Pre-2006) had issues.. But I would be very surprised if you could even find one of those still in a box any more.

Do they make one to fit a Ultimate advantage with Freightliner IFS
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I LOVE Blue Ox too. I use their tow bar, bike rack and locks but I own a Safe-T-Plus... which was installed prior to the time the "adjust on the fly trim kit" was available. I can't recall if the spring pressure is 250 or 300 but I've been very happy with the improvement it's made to the handling of my coach for the past 3 years.

The trim kit is at the top of my wish list now and from what I can tell from the installation instructions, it too appears to be a push button operation similar to what I believe the Tru Center is.

I bought my Safe T Steer from Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass and have never heard a negative word on their service or support.

Now, having said all of that... if I were to do it all over again today I would probably go with the Tru Center... probably because of my experience with Blue Ox products and the rave reviews Tru Center seems to be getting. But, so long as one gets the adjust on the fly feature I'm sure both products are a great addition.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD