Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

RVing with Pets

One more consideration..................PETS!

Traveling in motels with pets is a real hassle, and not very much fun. An RV affords the opportunity to easily bring your pet along with you.

We've done both. We've also boarded our dogs while we traveled and didn't like that at all. The motels that accommodate pets often are ....shall we say...less than nice?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Team

I never go anywhere without Grace.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Gary,
What kind of dog did you have? So sorry for your loss.
I absolutely love having a Motorhome. The beauty of one is the moment you pull-out of the driveway, you feel like the vacation has begun! Good luck with your research and welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We have had Irish Setters since 1977. This one had the worst health, but the best personality and outlook on life ("There's always another opportunity for a cookie!"). He had diabetes, pancreatitis, and other intestinal problems and he could only eat ground elk, venison, or salmon! He lived to be 14, the oldest of any our dogs. Our current setter is 10 1/2 and a finished champion. He is ready to go anywhere!

Thanks for encouragement! We will keep doing our research.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Gary,
I am so glad you have a dog with you. It sounds like you feed your dog very well. I made all the food for my prior dog Gabriel, but it is a large amount of work. Now, I am using The Farmer's Dog for Grace's food. I also get the annual certified list of dog foods from The Truth About Pet Food. If you didn't have a dog now, I would not include the clip below, but since you do, I find a great deal of wisdom in the message below. Stay young and enjoy life!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I’m not quite ready for a dog, but I’m going to watch the movie. I love dogs �� they are the best companion and they give unconditional love ❤️
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Hi Maggie,
When you do get a dog, I would recommend The Farmer's Dog for food; it really is the best. I also recommend that you follow the work of Susan Thixton's The Truth About Pet Food.
Will you name your dog Chester?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
Site Team

I moved these posts out of the Advice for 1st Time Buyers thread. That's a super helpful thread about the pitfalls and things to consider about a first time RV purchase. These pet posts are great, but will take that thread WAAAAY off topic as we all like to talk about our pets.

I realized this when I started to post about my dog in that thread and realized I'd be just continuing to send a RV Purchasing thread into more pet discussion.

It's my hope that moving this thread helps BOTH topics.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Maggie,
When you do get a dog, I would recommend The Farmer's Dog for food; it really is the best.
No doubt... I completed their questionnaire for my dog... $130 a month or $1500 a year for The Farmer's Dog food. I love my dog and buy him highly rated and expensive Canidae brand dog food - but that cost is unacceptable to me.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We travel with a couple of Shih Tzu's named Mr. Bo & Mr. Benji. They are 2 and love the adventures.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #11
Site Team

Hi Creativepart,
Great idea to split this sub-topic off unto its own thread. You must have a small dog at $130; Grace costs me $650 per month, plus the other supplemental food which I buy for her. Yes, it is expensive, and especially for the giant breeds. She also gets blackberries, bananas, sweet potatoes, apples, and blueberries. Other foods must be kept to no more than 10% of her daily calories.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-16-2020, 06:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We've been traveling with Mackie and Bitty for many years now. Mackie is 8 years old and Bitty the Brown Jug (Jack Russel, Pug mix) is 14. They are good travelers and love exploring. My routine is up at 6:30 getting showered so I can take them out for their first morning constitutional at 7:00 every day. We keep them leashed when in campgrounds always since that is the rule. We have had problems with others who don't believe the leash rules apply to them though. Many times other unleashed dogs have entered out site and caused problems, but that is another story in itself. We have never left them alone in the camper since we have friends that lost three dogs in the heat years ago when the breaker tripped and the AC went off, very sad. We just don't trust the monitoring devices that are available since sometimes cell and wifi service is spotty. There are web sites that list local restaurants and attractions that are pet friendly which is helpful. We have day boarded them when we wanted to explore where pets weren't welcome. Traveling with them does require adjustments but they are part of the family and couldn't travel without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bitty and Mackie.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	175824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	175825  

Old 11-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
No doubt... I completed their questionnaire for my dog... $130 a month or $1500 a year for The Farmer's Dog food. I love my dog and buy him highly rated and expensive Canidae brand dog food - but that cost is unacceptable to me.
I'm with creativepart, I love my dog (55 lbs) and have loved all my dogs over the past 40 years, all who happily lived to a ripe old age with few medical issues, but no way would I pay this kind of money for dog food.

To each his/her own.

Oh, and Hamish loves RVing.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Our three 90 pound dogs always travel with us all over the western US. The youngest is Chelsea, an Akbar, only one year old. The other two are English Cream Goldens, 7 and 8 years old, Crozby and Cody. All our dogs have always had names that begin with the letter 'C'. When others see us with three huge dogs they think we are Crazy... that begins with a C also.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Hi Doug,
The Akbar looks like a short-haired Great Pyrenees. Yes, three big dogs is a handful!
A little off-topic, but when I tell folks I'm from South Bend, they often ask "is that near Bend, Oregon?"
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 12-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

We met a couple camping at the Valley of the Rogue campground in OR who were camping in a small (maybe 18') TT with A Great Pyrenees, a Border Collie and a cat. I asked them how they did it and they said "we just shuffle our feet at night". Their two dogs and our Border Collie mix had a great time playing together.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Just found this thread! We are dog and cat lovers having both. We travel with our 10# Chi-weenie, Ms. Beans. Our license plate even has BEANSRV for the caption. After all, she does own everything and if in doubt, ask her!

As another note, we actually own a dog and cat boarding facility outside of Flagstaff. We have owned it for the past 20 years and have a ton of happy clients. BUT, we certify our staff and extensively train them....all facilities will tell you they do but few actually do! So, for those who have had bad experiences, I can tell you that we see this all of the time. You have to do your homework and research. If any want some inside scoops, I'd be more than happy to help. I would not keep my pets in 2 out of 3 facilities out there and I wouldn't leave them in 99 out of 100 of those on the online apps.

One of our dogs (that passed away this year) actually hated riding in our motorhome (she was a rescue at 3 years old) and preferred to stay in our facility. What matters to us is that our dogs are happy regardless of their preference.

We do see those who visit the Grand Canyon and need to day board their pets. We love to see pets from around the country! Just remember to take your vaccination records with you (or on your phone) in case you need these kinds of services!

I couldn't imagine RV'g without our dear Beans. I'd bet many of you are the same way!

Al
Old 12-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #18
Site Team

Hi Al,
The information about the boarding kennels is good to know. It really sounds very much like the dog food industry. Ultimately, we all need to keep in mind the old Russian expression "Trust, but Verify." BEANSRV has to be the best motorhome plate ever.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 12-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Al,
The information about the boarding kennels is good to know. It really sounds very much like the dog food industry. Ultimately, we all need to keep in mind the old Russian expression "Trust, but Verify." BEANSRV has to be the best motorhome plate ever.
Thanks, Eagle5
TRUST BUT VERIFY...EXACTLY! I'm reminded of the RV service industry...we all know of the promises made and often times fall short of delivering. But our animals can't necessarily tell you what actually happened or didn't happen while you left them in the care of others. And don't just trust the online reviews as facilities can and will have fake reviews written for them and against their competitors. I don't want to hijack this thread, but we're pretty passionate about this issue. I retired from the nuclear field and if I did even 1% of what I've seen in this industry while in the nuclear field, I'd still be in prison. Love your pets enough to do the right thing.

Al
Old 12-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
TRUST BUT VERIFY...EXACTLY! I'm reminded of the RV service industry...we all know of the promises made and often times fall short of delivering. But our animals can't necessarily tell you what actually happened or didn't happen while you left them in the care of others. And don't just trust the online reviews as facilities can and will have fake reviews written for them and against their competitors. I don't want to hijack this thread, but we're pretty passionate about this issue. I retired from the nuclear field and if I did even 1% of what I've seen in this industry while in the nuclear field, I'd still be in prison. Love your pets enough to do the right thing.

Al
Indeed true, We have driven away from facilities where we wouldn’t day board our pups even though the on line reviews were good. You can tell and you can smell. We also had a funny experience leaving them at a place on the property of an exclusive country club resort complete with limos and Poodles. We rolled up in the dually like the Clampets with our two critters to board for the day. Our pups were treated like royalty, cost a little more but was pretty awesome.