Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wink RV Toilet Paper

In light of the world-wide toilet paper shortage, does anyone know if this particular brand of toilet paper is RV compatible? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682-preview.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	173058  
Old 03-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yeah, the motorhome section of Walmart might be the place to shop for TP. ;-)
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

TP is one of the really interesting things to talk about when it comes to RV. I have family who vary from those who strictly buy only the RV approved type, some who actually do not put paper in the stool but have a bag hanging nearby with the dirty stuff, and myself who would rather just go outside if I had to have a bag of that stuff hanging behind the door.
So my outlook depends more on the theory that I don't mind if I have to occasionally clear a stoppage at some point, if I can just go ahead and enjoy the "luxury" of a normal paper!
We go simple and it has worked for years and years. We use plenty of chemicals of whatever choice and add plenty of water. So far over twenty years in various RV, I don't remember ever having an actual clog to stop draining. I have had times when the gauges stop reading right and I use a wand to stick down the stool to clear something sticking to the wall in the wrong place.
So it gets down to sticking a wand down or a corncob up? I hate finding I'm using my fingers.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
So far over twenty years in various RV, I don't remember ever having an actual clog to stop draining.
I'm pretty sure my parents didn't use any special TP and I don't recall them ever having any issues.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

When we wonder if the toilet paper we bought will break down quickly in our black tank we put 2 or 3 sheets in a pint or quart jar, seal the lid and shake for about 3-5 seconds and then lit it sit for 5-10 minutes. If the TP starts to break apart then we know it will break down in our black tank.

The TP we buy is inexpensive 2 ply TP. Not the really cheap, but nothing that looks like Charmin, which I have seen mentioned in a number of forums will not break down.

We have using this process in our various RV's since 2004 and have never had a problem with out black tank.

NOTE: I also put 3-6 gallons of water back in the black tank after dumping to get a layer of water on the bottom. Additionally adding a pint or so of water to the toilet bowl before going #2 helps add extra water.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Adding that water as you set there and meditate, also helps the cleaning of the stool! Less sticking when the bowl is wet.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My problem with the OP's post is the line on the roll...

Quote:
Doesn't take cr@p off of anyone...
Isn't that the point??
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabdds View Post
In light of the world-wide toilet paper shortage, does anyone know if this particular brand of toilet paper is RV compatible? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Nope! To much sand in the paper.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Nope! To much sand in the paper.
That cleans the level sensors!
Old 03-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
That cleans the level sensors!

And other areas real well!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
WinnieAdven38

Avoid the expensive sand paper-like RV toilet papers. You need to watch some of many YouTube videos which cover this subject, as a number of RVers there have conducted their own tests to determine which brands disintegrate best. In general their test reveled that most often the RV specific papers are the worst, with the best being those quoted as "septic safe" on their packaging. For a while we used Costco as it worked well, but once we went full time we could no longer justify having to buy their huge pack - too many rolls to lug around.

So we switched to Walmart brands which specify septic safe, and this has worked great for us for several years. We can buy it in smaller packs everywhere in the country. Using that, coupled with Happy Camper black tank treatment, and we have no odors nor any black tank issues. We also make sure to never leave our black tank waste valve open if parked in a full hookup site, only emptying when mostly full.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

RVs and boats can have Macerators; little machines that chop up what goes down the drain. If you have a macerator, then RV-type TP is a better choice because it's more flimsy and breaks down readily.

If you don't have a macerator and use the dump station, then anything you want to use is fine, from RV TP to whatever you use at home.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Toilet Paper

My wife likes charmin so she buys it.
I don’t know if it’s approved for an RV.
I don’t know if it breaks down.

What I do know is that a lot of RV’s have clogged black tanks, I don’t and have never clogged my tank, other than twice in the short neck just south of the valve, my fault and I’ m more cautious.

I’m off topic:
I purchased a water meter for the garden hose, Home Depot has them for about ten dollars, this tells me the number of gallons which is sent into the black tank via the tank wash connector.
I also have a clear tube between the hose and the tank so I can see what is leaving the tank.

Process:
Drain black tank.
Close black tank valve
Fill black tank to 20 gallons of water (water gallon meter)
Drain black tank
And I repeat this process till the water is clean,
then I do 40 gallons of water, till clean.

Then I fill the black tank with 4 gallons of water, add the toilet treatment, wait till it’s full and start over.

As an addition perk the water gauge seems to always work now.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

HappiHerni, go back to the Costco stuff. You can give it away at campgrounds and be a hero!!
Old 03-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We use Scott tp paper. Safe for septics . Been rvers for over 20 years. No issues.
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #16
2016 View 24J Profile

Re: TP

In all my years of sailing and RVing we’ve always used the same stuff we use at home. The secret is NEVER put anything in your toilet that doesn’t go through you first. Just put your TP in a little diaper type bucket and you will never have black tank issues as a result. It’s so simple I’m surprised more people don’t do it
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

That is just plain disgusting. That's why more people don't do it that way.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #18
Boondocker

We have always used the cheapest, nastiest TP you can find at Walmart or any supermarket. It all breaks down just fine, and if you put a cup of dish soap and a cup of Borax (or water softener) in your black tank after you empty it, you will never recognize paper in your discharge. Specialty RV toilet paper is a high-priced, unnecessary product.

Just a note: the main reason for the dish soap and softener, is to keep the level sensors clean and reading accurately.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #19
Dives2Little

Our Ellipse has macerating toilets and high end toilet paper works just fine. When I dump, I'm "pumping sludge"!
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #20
Boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dives2little View Post
Our Ellipse has macerating toilets and high end toilet paper works just fine. When I dump, I'm "pumping sludge"!
A macerating toilet is a fine thing! But even even you don't mechanically render it into pee soup, you still don't need fancy schmancy RV specialty paper.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote