Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Removing outside dryer vent cover

Can anyone tell me how to remove the outside cover over the dryer vent? Can this cover be removed and replaced without risking water leaks down the wall? I want to be able to run a brush further in than I can reach with my fingers to clean out the lint. I've looked inside the coach to completely remove the vent tube but both ends look practically impossible to reach and remove.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did you call Winni customer service?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a different coach but: I removed the vent this past year and it was not such a big deal. I found a tear in the vent pipe which I repaired and secured the pipe better.

Mine was very short may be 12" to reach the exhaust vent on the W/D. Sealed it with some caulking; every thing is fine.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I haven't tried to remove mine due to the heavy coat of full-body paint on and around the vent ...figure it would not look good after. I poke a straightened clothes hanger up the vent tube a couple of times a year while the dryer is running to knock stuff loose.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

While at home I used my shop vac to hold up to the dryer vent and it did a pretty good job of getting the excess lint out.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Not near enough room on mine to get the shop vac up to the hole, and with that little clearance I'd be afraid to use a clothes hanger for fear of poking a hole in that aluminum tubing back inside the coach someplace.

The last two projects that I called Winnebago about got me so little information and some of it didn't even pertain to my particular coach that I didn't figure it was worth wasting mine and their time on this one.

Guess the full body paint on the outside vent cover is mostly what has had me concerned about trying to remove it. Probably better give up on that idea.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I use one of those mechanical finger pick up tools. I slide it in as far as it will go then press the button to open the fingers and grab the lint. It works best when the dryer is running. You can even twist it around a bit and knock off some more lint.

By inserting the pick up with the fingers closed, there is no danger in poking a hole as you could with a coat hanger.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent