Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
hi all

anyone out there have any problems with the turbo on the 300 cummins (02 journey 32T)..

i have had 2 problems - first - i left the mh at the dealers for routine work, went back to pick it up and had a CHECK ENG light, left it there - they sent it out to freightliner (oasis dlr) and im told the turbo was the problem and was replaced.. now (approx 2 months and 3500 miles later) i sent it to the dealer for routine work, they sent it to freightliner for oil, filter, grease, etc, and upon its return to my dealer from the freightliner oasis dealer, they noticed it had no power - couldnt get it over 15 mph... called the hook (the big one) and its back at freightliner with a turbo gone...

any ideas..

thanks in advance

bob casale

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

hi all

anyone out there have any problems with the turbo on the 300 cummins (02 journey 32T)..

i have had 2 problems - first - i left the mh at the dealers for routine work, went back to pick it up and had a CHECK ENG light, left it there - they sent it out to freightliner (oasis dlr) and im told the turbo was the problem and was replaced.. now (approx 2 months and 3500 miles later) i sent it to the dealer for routine work, they sent it to freightliner for oil, filter, grease, etc, and upon its return to my dealer from the freightliner oasis dealer, they noticed it had no power - couldnt get it over 15 mph... called the hook (the big one) and its back at freightliner with a turbo gone...

any ideas..

thanks in advance

bob casale

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 02-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My 32T is an 03 with 10k miles. I have not had any problems with the turbo. What you described sounds to me like the turbo is locked up and that happens with a bearing failure. I know you have probably heard this before but do you idle your engine for 5 to 10 minutes after a run? I am in the heavy equipment business and I see people all the time after a long run just kill the engine. You can hear the turbo in there spinning away and it has no oil pressure to oil the bearings and the bearings are at their highest temp at this point. That is the number one cause of turbo failure. Idling after a run gives the turbo bearings and oil time to cool off and spool down. Let us know what you find out.

Brian

03 Journey 32T
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

brian

thanks for the info - but yes - i do let her sit for several minuts after stopping and before shutting her down... this is something estang beat into my head when we got these units..

bob

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 02-15-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I find it hard to believe you could have 2 turbo failures in a row, that is just cappy luck! I wonder if they really replaced the turbo the first time? Did you look at it? The only othere thing could be the oil supply line to the top of the turbo that supplies oil is crushed or clogged, but I don't think you would stand an ice cubes chance of going 3700 miles with that. Maybe the mechanic left a rag in the air pipe or the compressor housing I have seen that happen. If the impeller isn't spinning your not getting air into the engine thus no power. Let me know what they find, but I still don't believe 2 of them failed.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

brian

i just spoke with the service mgr at the oasis dlr and he said the first problem (chk eng light) was as a result of an electrical problem - something about the turbo not recalibrating or something like that - he said they replaced it with a factory new unit just to be sure.... this time it was an internal bearing failure, also being replaced with a new one ....

buy the way, they really appear to be going out of their way to get this unit out for me because we (estang and i) are leaving for fla soon...

ill keep all posted as to how it goes... im hopefully optomistic about the results - they appear to be really customer oriented.. that is both my dlr Crowley RV in bristol CT and the freightliner oasis dlr in hartford ct...

bob

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 02-16-2005, 03:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Man that's too bad that they put a new one on and the bearings went out. It does happen though. Atleast you have a good dealer(s) taking care of you.

We are leaving for Gainesville next week ourselves, racing season is in full swing again.

Good luck! Brian
Old 02-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

thanks.. we (estang and i) are going down to ft meyers- leaving ri on wed eve 3/2 and stay in fla till the second saturday.. we may be biking up to daytona to catch a couple of bike week activities, but we're likely to stay south - more consistency in the temps this time of year..

bob

ps fyi estang was quite a drag racer and a stock car racer himself... get him talking about that sometime.. he's got some great stories...

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 06-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

hello all, im the guy who had reported 2 turbo problems within a month or so back in february this year... well, it turned out to be 3 turbo problems...

estang and i went on down to fla in early march and on the trip down (2am climbing the deleware mem bridge) the coach lost power.. buy the time i got to the top of the DMB i was doing 15 or 20mph with the 18wheelers really laying on their air horns showing their displeasure even though estang was behind me and both of us had our flashers on...

well to make a story which is soooooo long, i could write a book, let me give you the short version...

coach netted to a freightliner dealer in lancaster pa, who was not honest and forthwright (which is whole 'nother story) the turbo did not fail, but the QC at the freightliner oasis dealer in hartford ct (the repair facility who replaced both turbos) was less than stellar... the mechanic failed to properly tighten the hose clamp which attaches the outlet hose to the engine... therefore - no boost... therefore - no power...

well this began what estang, his fiancee, my wife and i lovingly refer to as the vacation from ****..

again to make a long story short.. here we are 3 or so months later and all has been resolved by freightliner and winnebago corporate...

i must give a round of applause to both corporation's customer service depts.... they were marvelous, along with the coachnet people and also my local winnebago salesman (sales manager at Crowley RV in Bristol, ct) tony v.

these folks were top shelf.. without them i would have ended up in court... but not necessary, there ARE people who understand and care.. it sometimes takes a bit more time than we'd like...

on the other hand, those 2 freightliner dealerships - well, my mother always told me "if you have nothing nice to say about someone, then say nothing" well, i guess this is one time (with all due respect mom - cause i love you) i cant listen to you..

avoid at all costs any dealings with those companies... in one case they would NOT stand behind their mechanics work - he failed to perform one of the most basic of tasks and that failure cost me dearly (both $$ and stress) and they refused to step up to the plate and correct the harm they were directly responsible for as a result of incompetence...

and in the other case, they downright misled me as to a.) their capabilities, and b.) their timeframe for working on the coach..

ok, i waisted enough bandwidth on this matter... suffice it to say, i now believe winnebago corporate, freightliner corporate and my local dlr crowley rv ARE the companies i thought they were when i made my decision to purchase and i do not regret it abit.. (he said with tongue in cheek)

bob casale
riverside, ri

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 06-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dang sorry to hear that Bob. My coach sat for about a month in April. I went out to fire it and the generator up just to run them a bit. My check engine light came on and the engine didn't want to rev up. After playing a bit I determined the turbo wasn't spooling up. Well I remembered the old Cessna 401 which was turbo charged had a bad habit of doing this but if you held the brakes and pushed the throttles forward and grit your teeth, BANG and the turbos would come alive. So I put the same method to my coach and what do you know!! The turbo spooled up and the check engine light went out. I could hear it all from the sound on the rearview camera. Sometimes I think these things are haunted. Good luck in the future.

Brian
Old 06-20-2005, 04:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

hi strega..

thanks for the reply... could you be more specific about what you did, how much throttle for how long, and how did you know it was freed up, etc....

thanks
bob

ps thats just in case im not out of the woods yet..

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 06-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I held the brakes, put it in gear and brought it up to about 1800 and held it there for a few minutes. Now mind you it's kind of hard on the converter to stall it like that but it just heats it up like pulling a big hill. Mine made all kinds of noise I could hear through the camera and smoke rolled out the exhaust. I then took it out on the road and put her on the floor driving about 10 miles around 70 mph. The light went off shortly after all the noise I heard.

Disclaimer: This may not work for everybody and I am not responsible for parts blowing out on the ground