Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Protecting our Pets...they are like family!

I was just thinking about the safety regarding objects hurling in an accident situation.

We have a Costco Electric Fridge that now sits nicely parked next to our entrance door on our Suncruiser. Works out quite nice as we are full-timers. I have been meaning to strap it to the wall somehow but rrealize this will be a futile effort in an accident since the walls are so thin.

Anyway, while discussing this the topic of other hurling objects came up....aka our 100 pound Rottwieler. Now that would hurt if Ben landed on us being hurled forwared at 60 mph.

So..I looked down over at the dinette where he likes to park it while we travel. Heck, that's his home most of the time as it is. I was wondering though, how nice it would be to have something made by Winnie that would be an option for turning this area into a mini pet pen when traveling. That way the pets would be less likely to be hurled forward at us in an accident. We of course use a child gate and other stuff now but it would be handy to have something a little more asthetic and "build in" sort of.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

While I think it's a nice option I don't thnk Winnie woould find it profitable to modify their floorplans to accomodate pet's.

Just an opinion.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

while traveling i put the kitchen table down to a bed and use seat belts onto the dog collars
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

THis forum has some of the most clever people I have ever seen. I'll bet that theres someone else out there that has come up with an awesome idea. I too will be traveling with our rottie (120# last we checked) we will be thinking about the best way to protect him too.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
while traveling i put the kitchen table down to a bed and use seat belts onto the dog collars
Respectfully, hooking to the collars is not a good idea. Yes, it will keep them from jumping down and keep them in a limited area- when the vehicle is in motion- but think of what would happen in an accident. The force of them getting thrown could snap their neck (imagine the images on commercials the dummy's getting thrown in a car in an accident).

Think about what would happen if your coach rolled. They could strangle before anyone could help them.

You might want to consider harnesses hooked to your seat belts instead of the collars. The harness would act the same way as your over-the-shoulder seat belt does. The worst that would happen is bruising.

Sheila
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

heres what i did

3 german shepherds on.
I took out the jack knife sofa ad got 2 lazy boy recliners. I take the backs off and put them in the bedroom. I take he bases and put them where my old eat in style dinette use to be (turned it into a bar..look for my old threads with pictures). I then went into home depot and purchased some female threaded post inserts that connect to the floor. Fastened them in. Used some galvanized poles with my own pivot design to fasten the poles. Sort of like a baby gate. So in essence I created my own space with functional swinging gate that when not use can be removed or dropped to the floor. Cargo net for those days when we are going far...Yea I was board...

I still think the easiest sollution would be to get a crate fasten it to the bed..and be off..

At one time iwas thinking of getting rid of the bed and getting a sleep sofa in the back, and just closing the door or cargo net... But we really love the bed.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Have 125 lb Italian Mastiff "pup" who goes on all our trips. Looked at all apparent options and decided not to tear up our interior for "Diva". Bought a large (36 x48 x 30) wire folding cage (will fit under bed when not in use in rear slide), and put it on top of the bed when we go out, and she goes in it. Have a water bucket fastened in a corner and AC keeps her cool. Leave RV unlocked, and believe me when someone touches the doorknob, Diva lets out the low, VERY audible growl from hell!! Should there be a fire, she could be gotten to and released. Small engraved sign by door "In event of emergency PLEASE release dogs". Same reason we leave the stall doors open for the horses whenever we leave home.
This works for us, so far.

Jim
oldcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If you want to harness properly while travelling look at getting a doggie seat-belt.
Something like this one Champion (they have a special model, the "survivor" for bigger dogs) or this one Ruffrider. They're an alternative to a crate and will keep them safe/restrained in an accident without putting pressure on the neck.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
If you want to harness properly while travelling look at getting a doggie seat-belt.
Something like this one Champion (they have a special model, the "survivor" for bigger dogs) or this one Ruffrider. They're an alternative to a crate and will keep them safe/restrained in an accident without putting pressure on the neck.
I second the Champion Restraint Systems. Have used them for years.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote