Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane griddle/grill recommendations

Rigging out our first hardside and on our list is some sort of grill or griddle to use outside. I don't really want to carry a charcoal grill and all that goes with it since we are limited on space and weight. On ocassion I will bring my small smoker along if needed. We will be cooking for 2-4 only.
Recommendations please for a tabletop griddle. Thank you.
Critters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We still have a two burner Coleman camp stove from the days we were involved in Scouting with our boys. It was originally fueled by white gas but we converted it to propane (screw-in bottles). The grill-top consists of rather widely spaced bars, but we got a couple grill plates that fit perfectly. Coleman still makes these campstoves but they're rather expensive now. If I remember correctly they're the better part of a hundred dollars, but I have seen a couple of them at Goodwill stores for about $20.00. After buying a stand for it, it works very well for us.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a Blackstone 17" griddle with the heavy duty 2 piece cover. Less than $100 and very well made. We don't carry a grill with us since getting it.
LOTS of folks on here also love their Blackstone's.
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Old school Coleman grills... Those are hard to beat and I bet I have a couple in storage somewhere along with some lanterns.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
Site Team

You’l probably see about 1/2 the grills at any given park being Webber “Q” grills. They’re pretty compact (fold up) and light. They come in all sorts of colors.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I noticed the Blackstones and the Royal Gourmets. Both get fairly good reviews. I'll have to find one to get an up close inspection.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

In our last MH we had the Sportsman Propane Grill and with this new to us MH we have the Weber 1200 BBQ Grill. By far the Sportsman is cheaper and lighter than the Weber and I sometimes thing I should have stayed with the Sportsman.

Either grill will work off of bottles or larger propane tanks with an adapter.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've used a Weber Go Anywhere Grill for years. It does a great job on everything from veggies and salmon filets to tri-tip. It's relatively inexpensive and I've never felt the need to "upgrade" and I'm a "if it's meat, it's getting grilled" kind of guy.

It isn't a grill/griddle combo but you can put a griddle on top of it. My preference, however is a separate LPG two-burner camp stove (Coleman or the like), a griddle and the Weber.

You'll want to get accessories that will allow you to connect the above to a standard LPG tank unless your use is very low. The small, disposable tanks are both expensive and a pain to use. I like the "tree" approach which lets you attach more than one appliance to the tank:

https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Out...50934042&psc=1

You'll also need a couple of hoses:

https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Pro...Y3N3BSSD5T7GMN
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I recently got a Blackstone Tailgater; it has both a griddle and a grill, either of which can be lifted off to use the open burner underneath. So far, I love it, but it is heavy and takes up a considerable amount of space.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #10
Let's kill some bugs!

My propane bottle fed Weber grill with stand has worked really good for about 5yrs. What impresses me is how even the heat is over the whole grill. It cooks more evenly than my $5000 BBQ on my patio, the Weber is just a lot smaller. When folded up, it fits nicely in my Vista 32YE basement.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Weber Q grill adapter?

Leaning toward the Weber Q 1200 propane grill. Reading the Q&A and reviews the manufacturer says it can not be adapted to use with a RV quick connect propane line. They are stating that it has to use cannisters or 20# tanks with an adapter.
Has anyone made an adapter to use on their TT?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I use my Weber off my main tank on my View. I installed the "Extend-A-Stay" kit. I have pictures in my album under my profile. Weber is called a high pressure grill and uses its own regulator to fine tune pressure. The kit is stalled between the main tank and the RV regulator.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We carry both a Blackstone 17 and my well used Weber Q 100. The Blackstone is great for making breakfast and I've had as many as a dozen burgers going at once. I suppose I could get away with just the Blackstone but there is nothing like steaks done on a Weber. I plumbed a line into the onboard propane supply of my coach so I don't bother with cylinders anymore.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerr View Post
We carry both a Blackstone 17 and my well used Weber Q 100. The Blackstone is great for making breakfast and I've had as many as a dozen burgers going at once. I suppose I could get away with just the Blackstone but there is nothing like steaks done on a Weber. I plumbed a line into the onboard propane supply of my coach so I don't bother with cylinders anymore.
I'll look it up! Thx
Old 01-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerr View Post
Typerr...
Thanks for your reply.
Any changes is regulators?
Any issues with high pressure/low pressure?
Old 01-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critters View Post
Typerr...
Thanks for your reply.
Any changes is regulators?
Any issues with high pressure/low pressure?
The RV Geeks have a Youtube video showing how to plumb a remote line to the other side of your coach that branches off before the regulator but steps down the pressure enough to avoid oily build up in the hoses. I followed their video. The regulators are still used on my Blackstone and Weber and both work great.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Personally, I prefer having a separate, compact one gallon propane tank to run my grill and camp stove rather than going to all the trouble of installing a quick disconnect between my MH tank and regulator. That way I'm not restricted to a hose length away from my MH and can use the campsite's picnic table no matter where it's located.

If you go this route, you'll want to refill it only when filling another tank since most LPG dealers have a minimum fill charge.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critters View Post
Leaning toward the Weber Q 1200 propane grill. Reading the Q&A and reviews the manufacturer says it can not be adapted to use with a RV quick connect propane line. They are stating that it has to use cannisters or 20# tanks with an adapter.
Has anyone made an adapter to use on their TT?
We use a Weber Q 2200. I adapted it to run off the trailer LP supply and it works well. I think Weber's statement has more to do with legalities than engineering.

I bought my kit from propanegear.com. I used the permanently attached hose on the grill end over the quick disconnect. I was concerned about the lack of support on the fitting when you remove the OEM regulator and the extra weight of quick disconnect causing problems over time. Looking at the site today it appears they now provide a support so would pick the quick disconnect over the permanent set up but I would verify it with the company first.

No endorsement intended just providing links for reference. I have the first product link

RV Quick-Connect Kit for WEBER®Q Grills - 12 Ft. - propanegear

https://propanegear.com/search.php?search_query=weber%20q&search_submit=Se arch§ion=product

Edit: I should have noted it runs off the trailer's regulated LP supply from the factory installed outside connector.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thank you sir!
I have researched more and found several sites that makes this an easy conversion. Should be an easy install using the correct parts most of which can be bought through the local hardware stores. I agree, legalities probably came into play with the manufactures statements.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Love our Blackstone 17" grill. We use our external gas line on our 2019 Sightseer 33C. Look on the forums for a pre-made adapter that you can purchase for the Blackstone. We ordered an additional gas regulator in conjunction with the adapter and hose SO WE CAN STILL USE THE BOTTLE GAS or the External RV LP hose......
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane