Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

I have used the Coleman Roadtrip Classic Grill (blue in color) since 2007. It has griddles, grills, and wire tops for pots and pans. I use the little 1 pound cylinders unless I know that I will be in one spot for a week of more -- then I use a 20 lb cylinder with the connection hoses.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

check out the "o" grill. I shopped around a lot and finally found a grill that will not take up too much space. height of my storage spots, 2018 Fuse, was max 11". The O grill and nothing else I looked at would fit. but the O does fit in the under bed storage! It works great table top and I purchased a griddle top which is perfect for bacon or other juicy things.
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #23
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I agree. The Weber Q1200 is the best. A bit more expensive but well worth the price. You can't go wrong with a Weber grill. You can get a griddle add-on option for frying or get a cooking / baking mat for frying also. I cut mine to size. The fold-out "wing" shelves are a great feature too. Very good temperature control and plenty hot for grilling steaks.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Check out the NAPOLEAN 285 series
tennessean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:13 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

We got one of these inexpensive, compact 2 burner grills form Sam’s Club. It easily fits in the small storage bin in front of the outdoor galley in our 29VE. We did remove the attached regulator and replaced it with quick disconnect connectors and a 12’ line to easily connect it to the regulated gas fitting on the rear of the RV. Connectors were readily available at Ace and Amazon.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/member...lp_product_1_2
Rishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Grill recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critters View Post
Rigging out our first hardside and on our list is some sort of grill or griddle to use outside. I don't really want to carry a charcoal grill and all that goes with it since we are limited on space and weight. On ocassion I will bring my small smoker along if needed. We will be cooking for 2-4 only.
Recommendations please for a tabletop griddle. Thank you.
We too bought the Blackstone. Can’t be beat. We bought the combination so we can bbq and cook other food at the same time. It’s one unit, and we equipped it to hook up directly to the gas supply quick connect outside of our 2108ds.

Geoff and Melanie Kooris
gkooris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I bought an O-Grill at LL Bean, it fits in the front storage and seems to work really well.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Propane grill recommendation

Hi critters,

Not sure what your cubic foot restrictions are, but I really like my smoke hollow unit that I bought at Home Depot. My reason for purchase was size and functionality. Most of the small units only have one loop burner that covers the whole grate from underneath. With those you are either all hot or all warm. This little unit has three separate burners so I can control my heat if I’m cooking more that one item. A big plus is the center burner heats a smoke tray so you can put in wood chips and to a slow smoke. The lid is tall enough to let you fit in a whole chicken or tri-tip or brisket. It’s all stainless steel and has latches that keep the lid closed when traveling. I’ll attach some pictures so you can see how I arranged it in my storage compartment and what the unit looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13437920-9F97-4983-A848-8FA713A65435.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	170941   Click image for larger version

Name:	B5C70F6D-19B1-49A8-98EE-24AF21A4C7D5.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	637.8 KB
ID:	170942  

Name:	1E1F76C6-A927-468D-819D-74047979ED83.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	170943   Click image for larger version

Name:	7D327BEC-664A-4C4A-BCA8-B8DDE6A76EFC.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	170944  

Name:	83810DBE-E8E4-4D23-A85A-10C7276FC57F.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	532.3 KB
ID:	170945  
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:18 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
Hi critters,

Not sure what your cubic foot restrictions are, but I really like my smoke hollow unit that I bought at Home Depot. My reason for purchase was size and functionality. Most of the small units only have one loop burner that covers the whole grate from underneath. With those you are either all hot or all warm. This little unit has three separate burners so I can control my heat if I’m cooking more that one item. A big plus is the center burner heats a smoke tray so you can put in wood chips and to a slow smoke. The lid is tall enough to let you fit in a whole chicken or tri-tip or brisket. It’s all stainless steel and has latches that keep the lid closed when traveling. I’ll attach some pictures so you can see how I arranged it in my storage compartment and what the unit looks like.

I've seen those and like the idea but could never find out how they perform with the regulator removed and hooked into the trailer LP tap. Any idea of how they perform that way?
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I don't own one yet but I hear good things about them. Lots of videos out on them along with instructions to remove the regulator and replace with either DYI fitting or ones you can buy online. I did read one owner said it seemed to cook a little hotter. I figure to spend $300 by the time I buy the grill, new fittings, 12' propane hose, griddle, and a cover. Maybe those that own one can tell you more.
Critters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Hi old engineer,

I assume it would work fine. Every bbq I have owned, including this one, gets s new adjustable regulator. The factory regulators are crap. You either can’t go low enough to truly low heat slow cook a tri-tip or brisket, or they don’t get hot enough to hot grill a steak. I buy an adjustable regulator from True Value and just unscrew the factory one from the hose and screw the adjustable one on. Not sure what connections you have on your onboard tank, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. My onboard tank has a plug for a second outlet so I was going to install a gas shutoff valve and a quick connect hose. I was originally going to do that and then realized I had room in the side box for the bbq size bottle so I use the bottle.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Also, I love this Smoke Hollow bbq. With the adjustable regulator it’s perfect.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Interesting. I learned something. I'll lock that away for future reference. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Hey all new to all of this, but I love grilling at home and really enjoy lump charcoal grilling. Is it just too much hassle to pack grills and charcoal or are there other factors that steer you away from charcoal vs gas?
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

bub...
New to hardside camping also. Trying to learn the ropes.
Due to limited space and weight, I'm looking to use "propane" so I don't need to carry charcoal and deal with the bags and ash. I intend to utilize my outside hookup on my trailer. I enjoy the charcoal cooking but until things change, I'm going with propane. (I also enjoy griddle cooking that I can get with the small propane grills)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Critters. I don't have an external hook up for propane. I think the ash problem is something I wasn't thinking of. Charcoal grills are dirty things for sure...hmm.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #37
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

You can pick up a "T" propane connector that is available at Camping World, Bass Pro (I think) and others that sell propane accessories and hoses. The Weber requires a direct high pressure connect to a tank (any size, including those one pounder tanks) so the "T" goes between the valve and the regulator and has the same connector type as the one pound propane tanks. I operate with the hoses (I have two 10 foot hoses to reach the back of my RV, awning side, where I like to do the cooking, but not under the awning. For transporting, I put the brass terminator cap on the end of the hose and tie the coiled hoses together and to the tank. You want to make sure it doesn't get loose. The cap and connections are designed to be "gas tight". Your other option is to use the expensive one pound tanks (about 3 times the price of bulk propane) or a 20 pound tank if you don't mind dragging one of those things around.

Best wishes and happy cooking.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:35 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Hey all new to all of this, but I love grilling at home and really enjoy lump charcoal grilling. Is it just too much hassle to pack grills and charcoal or are there other factors that steer you away from charcoal vs gas?

The time spent on heat up and cool down may be factors to consider too.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
The time spent on heat up and cool down may be factors to consider too.
Oh my lord yes. Basically no grilling the day of travel is what that would mean. Ok. Gas grill it is!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post

There are several reasons I don't use a charcoal grill. The first is the ash. I keep the grill in the basement and no matter what you do there is bound to be ash that escapes. Another is the size of a decent grill. I don't like the way small grills cook as they tend to be too hot, too cold, small cooking surface, etc. If I really want that smoky flavor I can just cook over the campfire. I always bring firewood from my property with me and all it takes is building up a bed of coals and throwing a collapsible cooking grate over it and we are cooking. The last is the amount of time it takes to get cooking. We use our trailer not just for camping but as a towable hotel room. It is nice after a day of site seeing to turn on the gas, get the food ready and start cooking without waiting for the coals to be ready. That being said I know folks who won't go anywhere without their Big Green Eggs or favorite smoker and always are sure to load them into the back of the truck.

Edit: One other thing that popped into my head is due to excessive dry weather we have had a time or two where open fires and charcoal grills were not allowed. I've never seen a fire ban for a gas grill.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane