Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
Outer Banks of NC

New Owner 2000 Winnebago Chieftain

New to being a owner and the RV is older 2000 but boy that had it had just bought it to get to VA, blew the motor in Palm Springs headed east had everything replaced from the transmission forward. Got to the east coast found out the money ain't like it is in Calif he didn't care wanted out of it. Seen it on market place grabbed it.
New paint new strips, new motor, RV place checked it out everything worked .
Its replacing a lance 1191. Biggest slide in camper they make but moving up to the 35 foot and I love the layout feels like a home to me. Killing e bay with inbound custom stuff I"ll finish it and build it like I want it before it leaves the yard . Play on the beach by the Outer Banks named it Beach Front Condo. That will be most of it travels short hops for a fun weekend at OBX
Old 03-04-2023, 09:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Liveaboard 74,
Sounds like it is going to be a great motorhome for you. If you had the Ford V-10, it is just as well you blew the engine so you have the revised head design now installed. The 1999 to 2005 Ford V-10 spark plugs could blow-out of the head, because only 3½ threads were engaged; not enough to prevent the thread from stripping-out.
Here are the links to the 1999 and the 2000 brochures of the Chieftain:
1999 Chieftain
2000 Chieftain

The stripes are a little different between those two model years.
Have a great time with your Chieftain.
Eagle5
Old 03-05-2023, 03:55 AM   #3
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Liveaboard 74,
Sounds like it is going to be a great motorhome for you. If you had the Ford V-10, it is just as well you blew the engine so you have the revised head design now installed. The 1999 to 2005 Ford V-10 spark plugs could blow-out of the head, because only 3½ threads were engaged; not enough to prevent the thread from stripping-out.
Here are the links to the 1999 and the 2000 brochures of the Chieftain:
1999 Chieftain
2000 Chieftain

The stripes are a little different between those two model years.
Have a great time with your Chieftain.
Eagle5
Yes sir. Just what this boy did. Blew the plug,fried a piston pulling a 6% grade. Indio hill just east of Palm Springs. Know it well. Coast to coast trucker most of my life. He didn't know much about the RV, less about motors . I'm still learning systems in something this big but I will ask questions so expect it.
Being honest the new motor is the reason i bought it.
First thing i wanted was his invoice. Complete motor or just a short block?. He got the complete motor .
Been big into Pro drag racing forever those V 10 motors like the viper motor could of been a heck of a power plant but no one touched them in racing dew to that very issue. left them along after the fix it was already marked for not being a HP motor. V 10 dodge?. O lord I would love to have that in here. Had a SBC in a Pinto back in the early 80s. If this motor goes there just might be a V 10 dodge in it. .

Thanks for the info and again for the welcome. Its a starter RV for me. Mama is so tickled we now have ROOM. LOL Just to good a deal to pass up and it does move us from a 11.6 foot camper to a 35 foot. Feel like I bought Taj Mahal. About a month, month and a half doing all the mods and add on's it will be ready for its first beach run. All flat ground around here and 55 mph speed limits so if it rides for two years I'll trade it on a diesel which i can work on and consider the other side of those Rocky Mountains..

Look at the sign on the hood scoop. Heart beat of America had a better idea. Remember those two jingles? Ford and Chevy? I'm one of those guys.

Looking forward to learning from you guys and gals. We are excited and the mods have begun.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Happy Sunday Liveaboard 74,
Below is a great example of the Heartbeat of America Commercials. Please note that the Labrador had to ride in back, but the Malamute gets to ride up-front! (ha-ha)
My dog is an M'lute; the primary bloodline used to breed the Alaskan Malamute (see photo below the commercial.)
Eagle5

Old 03-05-2023, 12:07 PM   #5
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Happy Sunday Liveaboard 74,
Below is a great example of the Heartbeat of America Commercials. Please note that the Labrador had to ride in back, but the Malamute gets to ride up-front! (ha-ha)
My dog is an M'lute; the primary bloodline used to breed the Alaskan Malamute (see photo below the commercial.)
Eagle5

Your pup is beautiful.
We just got Annie this past Sept. GF rode to WI to get that dog. Top breader. I have not had a pet in 30 years traveling so after getting off OTR living on the water both agreed on Annie in my profile picture saved her from the cold country came to live with us Coastal Carolina.
I'm a full blown farm boy thats enjoyed a lot of adventures and speaking of last pet . thats Tigger. Full Blown country Bob Cat.
Had that little lady for 9 years. One of the best bird hunters in the state. AFter being blessed with that little lady can't pull a trigger on a animal any more. I can catch the mess out of them turn them loose on that water and getting all the seafood I want at cost I hardley ever keep a fish any more.
Tigger was the smartest animal I have had the pleasure to enjoy. Miss that little lady. Picture was early 80s. Somehow nick name stuck still get called Tigger . I'm a lot better looking now. Scouts Honor. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KittyKitty_294928803634178776.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	185334   Click image for larger version

Name:	l (9).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	185335  

Old 03-05-2023, 02:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi Tigger,
I love the name Annie for your Labrador; sounds a little like John Denver's wife. You can never beat having a Labrador Retriever for a pet.
My dog is named Grace, after His Grace. The M'lutes are the tribal dog of the Inuit, and are the progenitors of Timber Wolves.
We sometimes have three wild Bobcats in our back-yard, and I have to keep Grace inside when they are out there; I'm afraid she would kill them, and those Bobcats are just too wonderful to let that happen. You bobcat Tigger looked like the perfect pet, to be sure.
Great seeing those photos.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Hi Tigger,
I love the name Annie for your Labrador; sounds a little like John Denver's wife. You can never beat having a Labrador Retriever for a pet.
My dog is named Grace, after His Grace. The M'lutes are the tribal dog of the Inuit, and are the progenitors of Timber Wolves.
We sometimes have three wild Bobcats in our back-yard, and I have to keep Grace inside when they are out there; I'm afraid she would kill them, and those Bobcats are just too wonderful to let that happen. You bobcat Tigger looked like the perfect pet, to be sure.
Great seeing those photos.
Thanks, Eagle5
Just do me a favor. Keep that white stuff up there.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I don't follow breeding too close but is it not the other way around and domesticated dogs
are Descendants of wolves?
Dogs from wolves instead of wolves from dogs?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Hi Richard,
I believe that some of the M'lutes escaped the tribe and then the most aggressive & dominant males would breed, creating a feral version of the M'lute which is the Timber Wolf. The M'lutes have distinctive markings (the Black, the Grey, the Seal, and the Red) but the Timber Wolf coloring is much more mottled. In general, the more distinctive the markings, the greater the domestication.
It could be the other way around, but to me it makes more sense that the dogs were brought over the land bridge from Asia to settle and stay in the Alaska region.
Anyway, that is my best guess.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Interesting to think about. I might guess lots of it will be local ideas and where I grew up the name "timber wolf "was just a generic name for wolves who lived in the timber. Tundra wolves if they lived other places, so not a really specific sort. Grey and timber were just different names for the same thing.
It sounds like your area has a lot of influence from local lore, so you get a different spin on the process. That was what surprised me as wolves were here long before peoploe got around to dealing with keeping them.
In my thinking many of the domestic dogs we keep were descendants of wolves who gradually found life easier to work with people instead of against!

But like I said, I don't track it much! I still have no idea about most of the people I know, let alone wondering about the dog!

One of my favorite RV trips was to really take a look at the Florissant Fossel Beds park.
Hard to think of a spot that is now near the top of the Rockies but was tropical at one time!
https://www.nps.gov/flfo/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

I now have a granddaughter who is into bug genetics and she has me thinking about all kinds of weird stuff!
Carry on.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote