Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need a Bbq

I have a 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS with the quick connect propane. Can anyone recommend a table top Bar b que grill and hose I can get that doesn't require some type of modification to the unit or the grill, kind of a hook up to the quick connect and start grilling. What I've found so far require me to modify either the grill or remove the regulator off the camper.
Please help.... frustrated
Mstench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

weber q series
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Virtually all portable grills use a one lb propane cylinder (including the Weber Q) which means you cannot hook it up directly to your RV's LP connection. That RV LP connection is low pressure and the portable grills need high pressure from a cylinder. So in virtually all cases you will have to remove the regulator at the grill.

Non portable grills that use 20# cylinders don't do this, but they are too big to carry in your RV.

Look for a simple propane grill, one that you can remove the regulator and fitting that hooks up to the one lb cylinder. Then buy a low pressure propane hose with a male quick connect fitting and a valve on one end and typically a 3/8" female flare fitting on the other. Go to your hardware store and buy the necessary fittings to go from the 3/8 female to the remaining fitting on the grill, often 3/8" male pipe fitting. Hook them all up and you are ready to go.

Use the valve at the quick connect fitting to regulate the flame. Or maybe more convenient would be to get a valve at the other end of the hose.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Virtually all portable grills use a one lb propane cylinder (including the Weber Q) which means you cannot hook it up directly to your RV's LP connection. That RV LP connection is low pressure and the portable grills need high pressure from a cylinder. So in virtually all cases you will have to remove the regulator at the grill.

Non portable grills that use 20# cylinders don't do this, but they are too big to carry in your RV.

Look for a simple propane grill, one that you can remove the regulator and fitting that hooks up to the one lb cylinder. Then buy a low pressure propane hose with a male quick connect fitting and a valve on one end and typically a 3/8" female flare fitting on the other. Go to your hardware store and buy the necessary fittings to go from the 3/8 female to the remaining fitting on the grill, often 3/8" male pipe fitting. Hook them all up and you are ready to go.

Use the valve at the quick connect fitting to regulate the flame. Or maybe more convenient would be to get a valve at the other end of the hose.

David

It took me six minutes to remove the regulator on my Q and add the quick connect.... Weber Q is the way to go...
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much
Old 12-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum1971 View Post
weber q series

We also have a Weber Q. Works well.

Another alternative is the Blackstone Grill. A little heavy but well made.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...0&gclsrc=3p.ds

I have one and I also purchased the stand.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you
Old 12-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have a weber Q2000 love it and had to remove the regulator and add a quick disconnect on my gasser I just traded in this year fir my DP. Unfortunately the DP doesn't have that nice setup so had to reverse it until I install one. Until then I'm back to dragging my 20 lb tank around.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

As do many RVers, I have a Blackstone griddle. I camp with a 17” and use it along with a 28” at home. Check here for connection kits for all types of BBQs: https://propanegear.com/
michaelstano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Many answers on grill makes. I guess there's no right one. I had a Weber Q for years but I got a Smoke Hollow a few years ago and prefer it. Just a little lighter and the lid handle is great for carrying it around- it can be stored in any position.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I don't think you can go wrong with Weber. I have had at least three different models. The Q is very popular with campers; I see more of them that anything else. My issue with it though is that it has a single burner. I like to use indirect cooking for a lot of things, including smoking, so that doesn't work.

I bought a 3 burner grill and was completely dissatisfied because the burners are so close to the grill surface that it was difficult to cook on. I ended up leaving it in the trash enclosure for someone to take.

I ended up buying an 18" weber kettle grill that is easy to break down and store in it's original box. Plus I prefer the flavor of charcoal over gas grills.

There are so many choices. You just need to match your cooking style and balance the pro's and con's.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I ended up buying an 18" weber kettle grill that is easy to break down and store in it's original box. Plus I prefer the flavor of charcoal over gas grills.
For the wife and I, our Weber Smokey Joe is enough 90% of the time. The only reason I bought a propane grill at all is due to all the fire restrictions this year. Propane fires are fine, but no charcoal grills. Kinda silly, as the risk of starting a fire with a propane grill vs a charcoal grill has got to be near zero. In fact, I've seen far more propane grills go up in flames than charcoal. But rules are rules I guess.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
For the wife and I, our Weber Smokey Joe is enough 90% of the time. The only reason I bought a propane grill at all is due to all the fire restrictions this year. Propane fires are fine, but no charcoal grills. Kinda silly, as the risk of starting a fire with a propane grill vs a charcoal grill has got to be near zero. In fact, I've seen far more propane grills go up in flames than charcoal. But rules are rules I guess.
I think what they’re worried about is not the flames, but sparks that can fly off carbon based fuels. Mesquite, being the worst offender.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, but can you use your campers propane or do you use the small bottles
Old 12-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
MetroManic

I have a 22" Blackstone griddle sold thru Walmart that comes with a stand and a griddle cover. I added a 12' hose with quick connect from Propanegear.com. I can use this thing with my RV's belly tank, or the small bottle, or the propane bottle I steal from my grille while at home. The griddle can be used on a table top or on the stand, is really easy to clean between meals and I'm absolutely thrilled with it - meats, pancakes, eggs, omelets, toasted buns, veggies - all come out great I've even baked biscuits in this thing). It's also fairly light weight (I think about 20 lbs but easy to handle). Check out the "Changing Lanes" video on youtube that reviews the Blackstone.
MetroManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

The modification in the video allows you to use propane from your camper's quick disconnect which is low pressure (after regulator). The un-modified Weber-Q has its own regulator and feeds from high pressure.

Unfortunately you can't easily go back and forth.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #18
MetroManic

The hose I bought from Propanegear for my Blackstone griddle is a very simple connection at both ends. it comes with the thumbscrew connection at the griddle and with a quickconnect to connect to the tank. they also sell the quickconnect female end that has an integral shut-off lever as a kit with pipe and mounting bracket. I've very glad I decided to go with this setup. I shut the quick connect off when the griddle isn't on and have no worries about leaking propane.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Do you happen to have a model number to order or see it
Old 12-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #20
MetroManic

You bet: Blackstone Adventure Ready 22" Griddle with Hood, Legs, Adapter Hose (I think Walmart is the only one selling this particular set up - but check around for sure).