Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #21
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroManic View Post
You bet: Blackstone Adventure Ready 22" Griddle with Hood, Legs, Adapter Hose (I think Walmart is the only one selling this particular set up - but check around for sure).
Insofar as the actual appliance is concerned, I think it depends upon what you want—a grill, or a griddle. I swapped my disappointing Cuisinart gas GRILL for the Blackstone GRIDDLE and couldn’t be happier.

It’s way more versatile, weighs less, takes up less space, and does everything I need THAT appliance to do. Super happy with the move.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Thank you....
Mstench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Insofar as the actual appliance is concerned, I think it depends upon what you want—a grill, or a griddle. I swapped my disappointing Cuisinart gas GRILL for the Blackstone GRIDDLE and couldn’t be happier.

It’s way more versatile, weighs less, takes up less space, and does everything I need THAT appliance to do. Super happy with the move.
I have a Weber Q2000 and love it grilles exactly what we like it for dinner such as Steaks, Hamburgers, Chicken,, etc. We usually travel with another couple that has the Blackstone Griddle which IMHO is great for breakfast items like eggs, bacon, etc.. I sure the Blackstone griddles could cook dinner but is it really grilling them or more or less frying them. I guess I'm looking for opinions vs. the two methods. I think clean up is a story for another day. Is it worth having both since the griddle doesn'tseem to take up much space? Thanks
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Remembering my youth and hamburgers off the old flat too grills, I purchased our Blackstone. I really like it but the DW does not. She is of the old school that says we should only eat lean meats and fish, and of course grilled, letting all the grease drop into the fire. Better for you.

I have very high triglycerides. Astronomical in fact. Because of this I went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn, (the Mother Ship), and my Endocrinologist there has been monitoring me for almost twenty years. He tells me to limit the carbohydrates, not the meat. Lots of myths going around out there.....anyway...

She likes lean ground meat, I prefer some fat for flavor. She grills, I prefer the griddle.
She buys lean pork loin and then tries to add some flavor with spices. I want a good old pork roast. I like bacon, sausage, pork chops, brisket, ribs, ect. I look for meat with fat marbling. That's flavor.

So it's your choice. Grilling, or griddeling.
Either way the Weber Q series or the Blackstone both work well. Traveling I just use the small bottles of propane. At home I use twenty pound tanks.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Remembering my youth and hamburgers off the old flat too grills, I purchased our Blackstone. I really like it but the DW does not. She is of the old school that says we should only eat lean meats and fish, and of course grilled, letting all the grease drop into the fire. Better for you.

I have very high triglycerides. Astronomical in fact. Because of this I went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn, (the Mother Ship), and my Endocrinologist there has been monitoring me for almost twenty years. He tells me to limit the carbohydrates, not the meat. Lots of myths going around out there.....anyway...

She likes lean ground meat, I prefer some fat for flavor. She grills, I prefer the griddle.
She buys lean pork loin and then tries to add some flavor with spices. I want a good old pork roast. I like bacon, sausage, pork chops, brisket, ribs, ect. I look for meat with fat marbling. That's flavor.

So it's your choice. Grilling, or griddling.
Either way the Weber Q series or the Blackstone both work well. Traveling I just use the small bottles of propane. At home I use twenty pound tanks.
Thanks for your input. Appreciate it see what the DW decides.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Another vote for the Blackstone with the quick connect fitting and 18ft hose. I keep the stock Blackstone regulator (and a green bottle) on board in case the hose won't reach the table. Super easy to swap.
Griddles are so versatile... steaks, veggies, eggs, pancakes. And easy clean up too.
Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Let me go a bit further, you can fry onions on a griddle, you can fry eggs, bacon, pan cakes, ect. The whole meal. Not on a grill without at least a pan.

Clean up is scraping the grease to the grease trap and then dumping that. Once the griddle is seasoned you never want to wash it.

You can have one hot side and the other warm or even off, so you can manage cooking different foods at once.

Blackstone has many different models to choose from.

We still use our Weber a lot.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

All of this info is amazing especially to a greenhorn. Thank you everyone.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #29
Site Team

The very good Camco Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel BBQs are sold with a 6' propane hose that will connect to your RV's quick connect. It needs no modifications and is prepped for the low pressure LP of an RV.

I've had two of them and loved them. I currently have the popular Weber Q1200. It's fine but I wouldn't say it's better than the Olympian.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-5...ill-37764.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.23.19 AM.png
Views:	74
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	176416  
Old 12-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

I have the ability to use propane from the RV and I have the Weber Q1200 fitted to take either that or the small green propane bottles. I have found that it is so much easier to screw the green bottle on and position the grill where I want it without restrictions.

My next grill will be a Traeger Wood Pellet (or simialr) portable grill.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

That's a sweet looking grill,I wish I would have seen this sooner, my Q1000 is being delivered today....��
Old 12-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #32
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Most fine dining restaurants know that a flat sear on a steak is better than grill marks. This is a good article from Amazing Ribs (a good page to bookmark), explaining the differences.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...hould-not-flip

Now a grill certainly has its place, and does so on our camper as well as the flat grill. Depends what I’m cooking, and what the park will allow me to cook with. To me, they are not mutually exclusive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9173043C-6AD9-49E4-A26D-043579B58701.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	741.1 KB
ID:	176435  
Old 12-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #33
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have the ability to use propane from the RV and I have the Weber Q1200 fitted to take either that or the small green propane bottles. I have found that it is so much easier to screw the green bottle on and position the grill where I want it without restrictions.

My next grill will be a Traeger Wood Pellet (or simialr) portable grill.
I’d LOVE to add the Trager portable smoker/grill to my Arsenal, but at 40-60#, I just don’t have any more weight or room for it.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Well tonite I added the Blackstone griddle as an addition to my Weber Q2000. That will be all my DW will allow...lol
Old 12-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #35
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
Well tonite I added the Blackstone griddle as an addition to my Weber Q2000. That will be all my DW will allow...lol
Which Blackstone model did you opt for?
Old 12-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #36
MetroManic

Congratulations on your new Blackstone - once you get it seasoned you'll really enjoy how it adds to the flavor of everything you cook on it. It took me a while to realize that I didn't need to run it on high for everything.... I usually have one or both burners on low for breakfasts and most support dishes but crank it up on high initially for searing the meat.
There's a ton of video instruction on youtube for using the Blackstone as well. My DW laughs at me when she comes down in the morning and I'm watching "cooking shows!"
MetroManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #37
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroManic View Post
Congratulations on your new Blackstone - once you get it seasoned you'll really enjoy how it adds to the flavor of everything you cook on it. It took me a while to realize that I didn't need to run it on high for everything.... I usually have one or both burners on low for breakfasts and most support dishes but crank it up on high initially for searing the meat.
There's a ton of video instruction on youtube for using the Blackstone as well. My DW laughs at me when she comes down in the morning and I'm watching "cooking shows!"
I agree. Let me add to that. I’d suggest you follow Blackstone’s directions. Some of the people on YouTube, like the guy that seasoned his in the oven, are not the best practice.

And how do I know this? Because I worked in professional kitchens, and I learned how to season, and clean the surface.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Which Blackstone model did you opt for?
I bought model #2582824 which is the 17" griddle with a hood. I'll do the prep work seasoning the griddle in the next week but it probably won't be until Mid-January before we go camping and put it to it's paces. Thanks to all. 😊
Old 12-21-2020, 09:57 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I’d LOVE to add the Trager portable smoker/grill to my Arsenal, but at 40-60#, I just don’t have any more weight or room for it.
The Weber Q1200 weighs 30 pounds. Add the stand and it might be a total of 35 pounds, and a few more pounds for the cylinders of propane The Traeger portable is 40 pounds but then you have a 10 pound bag of pellets. Not a heck of a lot of difference but I know that every pound counts.

Then there are the stainless steel portable grills, like the Pit Boss 75275 propane grill weighing in at 27 pounds. I had one similar that I bought at Academy but it was total with Cat 3 water during Harvey. Wish I had stayed with that model instead of the Weber, but only for size.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post

So it's your choice. Grilling, or griddeling.
Just seasoned my new Blackstone Adventure Ready 22”. I wholeheartedly agree with the Mayo Clinic...high carb diets are far more dangerous than healthy fats. IMO, bacon is its own food group! 🐷