Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Missing My Grill

Hello!

As a full timer now, I am definitely missing my big grill. I'd love to go back to a Weber Kettle or maybe switch to a Traeger. Not looking for the pros and cons of the two - I've done that research.

I am looking for ideas on how to mount to my rig in the back for transport. Who has some ideas or experience with this?

I have a 2013 42' Tour and tow so need to have an apparatus that would be raised a little in the back.

Thanks!
Orracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Too big /not interested in hauling a table type in the toad? Second idea would be to look at the mounts used for add hauling while doing the toad but that leaves the grill outside and I like it covered when hauling. Pain in the neck to keep a cover wrapped good enough to stay but still easy to get off. If a super large grill that is too large to trunk fit, I might look at two smaller that have the same area, but for two of us, a small grill is the best compromise.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yeah, it is not so much a surface area (a little - I like to do indirect heat with charcoal, etc.).
Old 02-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Understood. That does make the Trager look good. We really like what we get out of it but then I can't imagine taking it along!
Also finding it to be a somewhat less reliable than I like. The thermostat seems to be a bit too close to the heat, perhaps and the electronics fail? Since the rod which does the sensing is inside the smoke/ cooking section, it sometimes needs more sanding and cleaning the smoke off than I had thought about. Love it otherwise.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Traeger makes a couple of portable grills. Had I not purchased my Weber 1200 before the Trager came out I would have one of them. I have the bigger Traeger here at the house. Enjoy cooking on it.

Traeger makes the Scout and the Ranger pellet grills.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have a PKTX grill. It comes apart really easily for stowing in the camper. Check it out at pkgrills.com.
BertCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When I was using a full size grill I cut the legs off and stowed it in a bay in two pieces. I put wooden dowels it the legs to easily reconnect the two halves.
Now I carry a Smoke Hollow grill.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We love our traeger tailgator. It fits nicely in the Adventurer bin and we use it every time we camp. We have the larger traeger at home too. I have cooked steaks for 6 people on the tailgator and had potatoes too. We have had this one close to 4 years now. My husband puts the wood pellets in the 5 gallon bucket so they stay dry and he scoops out enough to cook
Old 03-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I switched from a Weber 1000 to a new Blackstone combination grill and griddle that easily folds down into two canvas carry bags. It is not charcoal or wood pellets but does a great job. I really like that can grill and do items on griddle at the same time.
Hoffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a small portable charcoal grill (guess from Wallmart for $20) with us. But mostly we use the grill which is fixed on the campground spot. From my point of view the meat is much better grilled on charcoal, I would never use something else.

We saw this selfmade smoker in Page AZ.... nice thing for tailgating.... and portable too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04590.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	173025  
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a small weber / smokey joe. It just is not big enough. If I can learn to ride a motorcycle and carry it on a raised platform, I can get one like the picture above and tow it! LOL