Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Induction Cooktop

OK, let's have the good and the bad. What are your thoughts on the Induction Cooktops replacing the LP burners in the all electric rvs...
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
YC1
Winnebago Owner

I just bought the nu wave induction devices. Bought one, got the second one included. This is not exactly in answer to replacing the gas stove which I won't but we have been testing them in the house for a few weeks now and I am impressed. The neat thing with these is we will be able to leave the covers on the stove and place these anywhere convenient including outside. You do need cooking pans than have some non-stainless steel or not all aluminum. In other words. Take a magnet to the pan and if it sticks it should work. These cookers are large, stable, and have an incredible amount of control. Simple to use too. I can actually set our deep fryer pot directly on the heating top instead of the submersed heating element. They do not get hot all over, just under anything metallic. It is amazing how fast they heat. We bought a grill and griddle with them and have been very happy. Perfect temps every time.
The use of these will give me lots of options in the kitchen of the rv. I have run both from the same outlet and have not tripped the breaker so the current draw is very reasonable.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We love our counter-top induction burner and use it far more frequently than we do the very nice Gaggenau propane stove we have. The induction burner is nearly as fast as the LP and doesn't heat up the coach, nor do we have to worry about having a window open, etc. Induction burners are great for holding foods at low cooking temperatures and we use ours as a slow cooker quite frequently. (To be able to do this you need a burner that can provide low power or low temperature control--some less expensive units can't do this well.)

You posted this on the Winnebago forum and my understanding is that W is installing a 2-burner inducton cooktop that manages to operate on a single 15A circuit. Of course, it won't have the power of two of the burners we own but it will provide more flexibility.

You do have to have pots and pans that work with induction, but pretty much any pot you can stick a magnet to on the bottom outside surface will work (some pots have steel on the sides but aluminum on the bottom--those don't work). Most stainless steel pots and cast iron should be fine.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2000 Monaco EXEC Tag 42' and am converting to "All Electric".

We replaced LPG 3 Burner & Stove for Fischer-Paykel Dishwasher and a True Induction Counter Inset Cooktop, which will fit under our corian
top where the LPG Stove was and give us an additional drawer in between the FP and the True Induction...been able to do the two
appliances for under $750.

FYI, Winnebago is buying the inducton setups (23.5" wide) for their all
electric orders. These are 2 burners and run on 120Volt/15 amp outlets by
managing the electric demand so no tripping of breakers.

Just another option...we're not happy with the LP options and possible
dangers...especially the Norcold 1200 fire issues.

Samsung RF197 on the horizon...

Mikeflyme

Mikeflyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mike this Induction Cooking: An Introduction has all your answers as to the pros/cons of induction cooking. We replaced our propane stove for an induction.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, ChiefJohn for the link.

The Norcold 1200 fire hazard plus an LPG leak which was sounding BOTH LP detectors when I walked into the RV garage one day is what got me going on this all electric feature...the leak was outside after the regulator at the hose connection, but that got me to thinking what if I hadn't gone to the coach for another week with that leak...kaboom?

Since I had the coach on 50 Amp connection while in storage, any spark from the battery charging or the A/C system in the garage could have eventually set off an explosion.

Also, my wife required me to light the Princess stove everytime we were cooking inside, and I never let the pilot light on afterwards, for safety purposes.

By selling the LP stove I was able to buy the new F-P Dishwasher ($350) and install it myself, and now will install the True Induction 120V 15 Amp
2-Burner Counter Inset model ($350) and have room for a drawer in between for utensils.

We went for the inset model as it will give the kitchen area a finished look also and since we can still utilize the corian countertop section, this adds to the counter space in the galley.

You only need to visit the Visone.com website and look at the number of salvaged RV's in their inventory to realize the Norcold 1200 refer is where many of the fires started...so that's next on the winter R/R list.

Mikeflyme
Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We recently purchased a new stove for our house with an induction cooktop. My wife loves it and I'm sure if she could have 1 in our mh she would want it. Only drawback that I see is the pots and pans are a little heavier due to needing the steel in the bottom in order for induction to work. Induction cookware is not real common in stores yet (especially non-stick) but we found a lot of choices at reasonable prices on the internet.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Can anyone give me a link to a drop in induction cooktop that will fit the motorhome? When I do searches, all I can manage to find is countertop models (already have one) or 30" residential. We'd love to get rid of the three burner gas, and drop in an induction cooktop.
jstbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Google "True Induction Cooktops" and you should find BigGameGrinders.com as a source...you can buy the 110V 2 Burner cooktop or counter inset models there...they fit in 23.5" spaces.

Mikeflyme