Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2022, 10:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hot Sidewalks for Dogs

I have a question for those that walk their dogs. With recent hotter than normal temperatures; we all hear about and know that hot concrete can burn the paws of dogs.

But my question is that when I see people walking their dogs when I know ambient temperatures are 100 plus degrees, the dogs just walk on the sidewalk just as happily ever after. Why is that?

I would think if concrete is too hot for their paws they will get on the grass? In fact; they only seem to veer of the sidewalk to go smell something or to poop on someone's lawn. When they finish they go back to the sidewalk. We have one neighbor who frequently lets her dog loose and the dog just run up and down the sidewalk playing. When she calls; the dog runs down the sidewalk back to her with wide open grass

What am I missing?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ha. I've measured my driveway blacktop at 130+ in the sun. The beagle will walk out and lay down on it...
Old 07-20-2022, 07:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Depends on the dog. Some dogs who are outdoors a lot will have tougher pads on their feet and the heat won't bother them. When I was a kid we used to run around barefoot all summer on the hot Arizona blacktop, our feet got used to it and it didn't bother us. Could not do it today. A lot of people here put booties on their dogs if they are house dogs and don't get out much.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
Ha. I've measured my driveway blacktop at 130+ in the sun. The beagle will walk out and lay down on it...
Ha , I have not seen that (yet). It kind of worries me because we have that Neighborhood Nextdoor App and I have seen people go after other dog owners that are walking their dogs down the street. I know it sounds logically and the premise is sound because it is certainly hotter than normal. Just thought I would ask for perspective from RV Dog owners. Not to long ago some dog owners were considered irresponsible for not walking their dogs, now most do, but on certain days it is ok to keep them locked in house or backyard.

When we had a dog, he would lay on our concrete patio all the time when not chasing at birds, squirrels etc. He had a full yard, few trees and dog house (not to mention a pool) but stayed on that concrete with no shade cover. When he was in the house, he would bark to get outside 10 minutes after the joy of just being around.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-20-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Depends on the dog. Some dogs who are outdoors a lot will have tougher pads on their feet and the heat won't bother them. When I was a kid we used to run around barefoot all summer on the hot Arizona blacktop, our feet got used to it and it didn't bother us. Could not do it today. A lot of people here put booties on their dogs if they are house dogs and don't get out much.
My question is more so on what the dog will do and not the people (owners)

Given it is a house dog, I have a neighbor who will let their dog out to run and play ( no leash but that is another topic) and that dog a tiny one will run & walk up and down the sidewalk on their own free will.

What made me post the question because I have been reading of late where some homeowners are going after other dog owning home owners if they see them walking their dogs!!! So I tend to watch closer; but these dogs I see it is not like the concrete is so hot that they try to pull the owner to the grass or even walk on the grass themselves for that matter.
They just calmly lead the dog owner on sidewalk until they wish to poop or go sniff something?

Make no mistake, the concrete is hot, I would not walk on it barefooted and yes it is logical to not do or limit, but is it really a pain for the dog? If so; why don't the dogs react to it? If I saw a dog owner literally pulling his dog's leash to force the dog on the sidewalk, I would not have this question and might even call Animal Control, but I never see this.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
Site Team

My dog Grace and I walk about five to ten miles per day over three or four walks. Her pads are very thick, and neither cold nor heat nor relatively sharp objects seem to bother her. I believe their pads are equivalent to a pair of sneakers for us.
As far as hot days are concerned, I do use a misting bottle on her as the temperatures start to exceed 75ºF, and we try to stay in the shade as much as possible. Obviously, we don't get the mileage in on our hikes in the hot weather.
Eagle5
Old 07-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Cook hot dogs on the sidewalk. ��
Old 07-20-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
Site Team

I like this guy!
Old 07-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
My dog Grace and I walk about five to ten miles per day over three or four walks. Her pads are very thick, and neither cold nor heat nor relatively sharp objects seem to bother her. I believe their pads are equivalent to a pair of sneakers for us.
As far as hot days are concerned, I do use a misting bottle on her as the temperatures start to exceed 75ºF, and we try to stay in the shade as much as possible. Obviously, we don't get the mileage in on our hikes in the hot weather.
Eagle5
Your situation is dead on to my question. What if you and Grace moved to our neighborhood? Animal control might be at your door every day fielding calls from neighbors for you walking the dog on sidewalk. They may even charge you with some Dog Labor Laws for having the dog pull the sleigh.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Hi DK,
I see your point. Of course, an M'lute really cannot be taken to the southern states in anything but the dead of winter. They have been raised by the Inuit Tribe to survive forty below.
When we sled, it is all fun & games until we start uphill. Then, Grace looks over her shoulder and tells me "you brought the sled - you pull it up this hill!" She is a very smart dog.
But, back to your original question, I believe part of the problem is the proliferation of Smart Phones. People get absorbed in applications of software and not looking-up from them. We should enjoy the day, and talk to other people with kindness. When that is not possible, a guy should at least mind his own business.
I personally use a Kyocera Flip phone without a camera or any texting capability. I don't even use a voice recorder for it. There is a time and place for computer work, but it isn't out on the street; that is for sure.
These are interesting times.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 07-24-2022, 07:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

2 Year old miniature poodle. She walks in the shadows around the pool's concrete deck.

I only walk her in the early morning before the sun had heated the streets, since if we leave our yard, we have no sidewalks and have to walk on tarmac.

I have checked temps with IR thermometer. If the street is over 100*, she does not walk on it.

Most of the summer, she gets her exercise in our fenced in yard. If traveling in the RV, we stay on the grass and walk early or later after sundown.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
2 Year old miniature poodle. She walks in the shadows around the pool's concrete deck.

I only walk her in the early morning before the sun had heated the streets, since if we leave our yard, we have no sidewalks and have to walk on tarmac.

I have checked temps with IR thermometer. If the street is over 100*, she does not walk on it.

Most of the summer, she gets her exercise in our fenced in yard. If traveling in the RV, we stay on the grass and walk early or later after sundown.
When I was a kid my aunt and uncle had a Poodle that I would walk sometimes. It was the only dog I ever knew that waked around a puddle instead of through it. I since learned that Poodles are about the most intelligent dogs there are.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Remember the expression, dogs as well as other animals will run themselves too death? Yep. Their threshold to pain and injury varies greatly.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I guess the point, or irony is that other dog owners are going after other dogs owners just because they are walking their dogs. It has got so bad or viral on next door it makes be more observing.

I use IR thermometer and got...

110* Bull Nose brick around pool
119* Pea gravel deck around the pool
124* Concrete sidewalk

So the question is not whether it is hot, it is. But is it harming some pet owners pets? I find it hard to believe that any pet owner would harm their dog, and if they would; I don't think forcing them to walk on a too hot ( for humans with no shoes) concrete surface would be their chosen tactic?

Since this developed; I watch the dogs closer now when I see them being walked. I have yet to see any to deviate to plenty of grass right next to them unless they go sniffing something or to poop / pee. I will be honest we have been here years and I see 20 - 25 dogs being walked a day on our street and I have never seen a Poodle or poodle pet owner walk their dog?

But anyway, the issue or dilemma is that some folks that are walking their dogs are coming under attack. Most all RV parks I see have concrete or pavement too, I never saw or heard of anyone complaining that a pet owner was abusing their dog by walking on concrete at a RV Park?

What will be next; it is too cold for dogs to walk on ice How many Siberian Huskies in the infirmary with frost bite

All kidding aside; I am just waiting to see a owner walking their dog and forcing the dog on the sidewalk via the leash. What I see is a dog just happily walking in front on a leash on hot concrete. Although there is one lady that her dog always walks behind her? Sometimes the dog will stop and she gets a little agitated, but she always walks her dog early morning like 7:30 AM. She might be in hurry to get to work?
Old 07-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Our back yard is grass and fenced in. The dogs have a doggie door and have access in and out whenever they want. When traveling we are very conscience of the sidewalk temperatures, when it’s hot, the dogs get to ride in their favorite safe place, it’s well ventilated, they love it, and literally can’t wait to jump in when they see it. It comes in handy when we’re at crowded outdoor flea markets, etc. It keeps them in a controlled environment and not tripping anyone with their leashes etc. The front wheel is removable and the trailer tongue unfolds. It works for us and the dogs. There are "Responsible Dog People" and then there are people who have dogs, there is a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4819.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	183634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4833.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	183635  

Old 09-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

If animal control showed up on my doorstep because of a complaint that I was hurting my dog by walking on the hot sidewalk, I'd tell them they could go pound sand unless they had evidence/video of me actually forcing/dragging the animal onto that concrete. Some people really do need to mind their own business.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
If animal control showed up on my doorstep because of a complaint that I was hurting my dog by walking on the hot sidewalk, I'd tell them they could go pound sand unless they had evidence/video of me actually forcing/dragging the animal onto that concrete. Some people really do need to mind their own business.
2X. This is so funny I can't take it seriously. Amen on the animal control guy; the conversation will not go well and I suspect he will regret knocking on this retired Marine's door! The world of electronics has involved everyone in everyone else's business. LOL People just need to mind their own business. I am well into my eighth decade and can't live without a dog. Current one is a rescued long haired Dachshund, and he lays on the scolding hot concrete beside the pool on 96+ days here in SWFL instead of moving over three feet to the shade. It's his choice, I've tried coaxing him over, but he refuses. Get a life folks.
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote