Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just received our WIT magazine and the talk is of the GNR in July. There is a section about what to expect at the GNR, but it pretty much assumes that one has some basic ideas about rallies. We've never been to one. I have some questions.

They reference 600 coaches getting in for repairs during the rally. Do they generally keep them overnight and if so, do owners end up moving to a motel during the repair process? On the same subject, if one arrives at the beginning of the rally, is it possible to get on the list to get a repair done? Or is this so popular that it is unrealistic to expect to get in unless one gets there pre-rally?

What exactly does one do during the rally? I see the pre-rally activities and I see the craft lessons, but none of that would keep one busy for an extended time. I hear of seminars and shopping, but if you've been, how did you spend your time?

Cost has me confused. If I read correctly, you pay both a rally fee and a camping fee, bringing it to $195-260. What is covered for that? With the Chicago rally costing 8 times that much, I wonder if I'm understanding or if the basic fee covers much of anything.

Help would be appreciated. I did a search, but it seems that most everybody who has posted in other years knew what this was all about.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just received our WIT magazine and the talk is of the GNR in July. There is a section about what to expect at the GNR, but it pretty much assumes that one has some basic ideas about rallies. We've never been to one. I have some questions.

They reference 600 coaches getting in for repairs during the rally. Do they generally keep them overnight and if so, do owners end up moving to a motel during the repair process? On the same subject, if one arrives at the beginning of the rally, is it possible to get on the list to get a repair done? Or is this so popular that it is unrealistic to expect to get in unless one gets there pre-rally?

What exactly does one do during the rally? I see the pre-rally activities and I see the craft lessons, but none of that would keep one busy for an extended time. I hear of seminars and shopping, but if you've been, how did you spend your time?

Cost has me confused. If I read correctly, you pay both a rally fee and a camping fee, bringing it to $195-260. What is covered for that? With the Chicago rally costing 8 times that much, I wonder if I'm understanding or if the basic fee covers much of anything.

Help would be appreciated. I did a search, but it seems that most everybody who has posted in other years knew what this was all about.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Janet,

We have been to GNR once. We wondered what we would do but we did keep busy. I went to a couple of the forums. There are new units on display to look at. We did go shopping in Forest City and Spirit Lake a couple of days. There is entertainment in the evenings.

The fee that you see on page 8 includes the camping with electric unless you are in the dry camping section. You have to leave the grounds to dump however we arrived with empty holding tanks and used the showers on the grounds so we did not need to dump until we left. The entertainment and seminars are included in the price. There are fees for some of the classes.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Janet,

If you wish to have work done on your coach you will be assigned a time to bring it in. This is usually known the day before. They will work on the coach during regular hours. Your coach is available for you at all other times. To get in for service you will want to get to the service center as soon as possible with your list of items (7 max). You are then put on the list and will check lists located at various places for your scheduled time. The service department is very efficient and you will be surprised how many coaches are handled per day.

The rally fee covers your site and electric service. Just arrive with empty holding tanks and a full water tank. Water can be obtained on the grounds when an area gets together with a set of hoses. They do have honeywagon service each day if you need it. We usually buy one ticket. All of the seminars, entertainment and tours are included in the rally fee.

They have many exhibits, merchants selling various products and many of the companies that provide the components for Winnebago are present to provide information, check problems and sell items you may need.

They usually have five tents in which seminars are held from about 8 -3 each day. They cover many topics such as HWH systems, winnebago upkeep, various chassis and engine information sessions amoung other things.

We have been to several rallys and always manage to find new things to see and do.

Dean Nelson
2004 Meridian
1998 Isuzu Oasis tow
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Just went and read the WIT magazine article again and Dean is correct....You DO NOT have to leave the area to dump,as long as you're ok with paying the $15 honey wagon fee...

As crowded as I'm sure the parking of coaches is,that sounds like money well spent.

Not enough days in the summer this year to do the GNR,would certainly like to do one though.

Will have to "settle" for the Charlotte FMCA rally in August this year...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janjanjan:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Janjanjan, Janet,
"2005" Winnebago "38G" Adventurer .... Is that possible ?? !!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

2005 G,J and R

Mike,is that your question?

Or were you teasing them for having your floorplan,but newer?

Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Along with all there is to do on the rally grounds the people of Forest City are welcoming and the churches have dinners, bake sales and other fun stuff. Also there is a parade in town and the rally folks, state clubs etc often participate. It's a typical small town parade with everything from lawn mowers to industrial stuff that I have no clue what it is.

Your rally fee covers parking til the Monday after the rally ends and alot of people hang out til then and have small group gatherings cooking out or going out. Because the coaches are longer and wider it's easier to let the honey wagon pump you out rather than go to the dump stations. Forest City has a nice dump station that's free ( about 8-10 ) also potable water there so you dump, fill with water and go to the rally grounds and are parked for the rally. If you go in for repairs they work hard to get you back in your coach each night but things do come up and you may have to motel it. Just depends on the work you need done. You may NOT leave your pets or kids in the coach when it's in repair. They do allow you to access your coach for meds etc while it's in repair.

There is a great grocery store in Forest City and a Super Wal-Mart in Mason City.

We are usually there for 3 weeks and stay busy. Very busy.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

All of the previous information is correct. We can add that there is entertainment going on nearly all day every day in a"entertainment tent. The vendors mentioned are primarily located in a large Air conditioned hall. There are also restaraunts on the grounds and of course in the town. One moves around the grounds on "people movers" which are free as well as buses that will take you into town and to other locations (including church).

Hope you come and experience the fun!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Janet

We have gone to the GNR every time that we have gotten a new rig ... the seminars put on by the manufacturer of your chassis and genset are very informative.

Unless you request otherwise, you will be parked with others from your state. If you want to be parked beside someone you know, you need to arrive with them.

The parking is side-by-side with excellent power. I suggest you take a few blocks with your ... some of the parking spots are not exactly level.

Make sure that you buy your honey wagon ticket the day before you need it ... (lesson from the school of hard knocks)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
Make sure that you buy your honey wagon ticket the day before you need it ... (lesson from the school of hard knocks) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that smells like GREAT advice!!

Hey Skigramp,I'm going to send you an PM concerning the Oconto,WI area....didn't want to thread jack.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have never been neither, but went to a briefing on Grand National Rally at a California State WIT Rally. Some of the points that they made were:

1. Bring lumber for leveling, some of the spots are not very level.
2. Lots of Row Parties,etc.. each state is in a row.
3. City of Forest City has a "Pucker Bush Holiday" the week before GNR. Lots of fun stuff.
4. People movers are available at the grounds. Since no cars are not allowed on the RV parking areas. Parking is available outside the RV Rally area.
5. The week before GNR you can camp for $10 per night, payable as you enter. Hint was a lot of people come the first day, and if you come a day later there is not such a long line to get in.
6. Golf carts are available for rent.
7. And lastly, you can stay free for two days after the rally.

We are looking forwarded to this rally.

2003 Suncruiser 35U
whyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

So I take it if you arrive with a toad you have to drop it and park it in the parking lot?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So I take it if you arrive with a toad you have to drop it and park it in the parking lot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you unhitch before they park you. They have special areas set aside for toad parking.

We went last year & had a great time. If you wish to have a golf cart you need to rent now. Otherwise, big $$, if they have any available.

We were not involved with state clubs at the time, we registered for section E. This area is the newest, large sites & level. Most other areas are very crowded, & unlevel. Some coaches dug huge holes to get the back tires into, & still needed blocks to level the front. If you are claustiphobic, recommend section E. One coach went back home to MI day after they arrived, could not cope with the confinement.

Another reason for section E is if you are having service on the coach. Much easier to get in & out of. A lot of cussing goes on in other areas as coaches are jockied. One guy in the service center told me he did not know where he was going to park that nite, but it would not be where he left.

But then, being with your club is great. Section E & the state rows are at opposite ends, so we did a lot of walking back & forth.

Anything that interests you, ie factory tours, pre-rally tours, should be signed up ahead of time. Most are full by the time you arrive. Factory tours are great, this is about the only time you can actually get on the factory floor, great tour guides and very interesting. I took the Chassis Prep & MH Assembly.

Friendship hall is where most of the merchants are. The only complaint I had last year (besides the high heat/high humidity wave) was that some merchants ran specials for a short period of time, beginning the morning the hall opened, without any advance notice. One vender had a good deal on window awnings. But you had to buy between 9 AM & Noon, the first day the hall opened. Well, needless to say I took a couple of seminars, by the time I got into the hall, sale over.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the info Dan....we'll have to put the GNR on next year's "wish list" as we already have a pretty full slate for this year.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Good info here. I have a couple of questions. Sounds like it is very hot and humid, good reason for the 50 amp larger site hookup. We are taking delivery of our new Meridian July 1. How difficult is it to have service during the rally, should we need things tweaked by Winnebago?

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

IF you are having service during GNR then it can be sticky getting in and out of your site. Alot of times they'll park you on the end of a row to make it easier and safer for all. Since there are NO appointments during GNR and the time before and after you can spend alot of time waiting your turn. A cellphone allows you to be busy doing other things while waiting your turn. Have to say though that with 1500+ coaches Winnebago has it down pat on the service and parking aspects. They work hard to do a good job and still let you enjoy all the activities.

In reality if your new coach needs twekeing it is better to wait til after GNR and let the whole area clear out. Most everyone is gone from the area by the Tuesday or Wednesday after.

30 amp works fine to keep you and the coach cool and comfortable. We just keep the shades pulled if it's really hot so the air doesn't have to work so hard. On 30 amp I wash but don't dry. Just hang the stuff in the shower. We also don't cook a lot so no problems with the heat or using the convection oven. I just plan ahead to use the power when and where I need it. No need to keep the electric hot water heater on since we don't shower in the coach. I just turn on the propane when I plan to use hot water.

We call it glorified boondocking
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

One other point about Forest City is the parts Outlet Store. It is a bargain hunters delight! We wished that we had allowed more time as the trinkets are everywhere.
Jack_Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #19

We are going to GNR for the first time this year. We are in our 4th Winn. so we thought it was about time. We will be in the VA row with our club members from Ye Ole Virginia Winnie Tascas. We are really getting excited about going and glad we will be parked with friends that are "old hands" at this. I have already rented a golf cart for trips around the grounds. As said by another post, do it now because the prices go up alot on April 1

The place to call is Miller & Sons (641) 843-4132. The total for a two seater is $197.95 for the week of GNR. Hope to see a lot or iRV2 folks there !
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote