Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
GNR. We are here at the Winnebago GNR. We got off to a rocky start but hope it gets better. Was told by two Winnebago employees that the pre-rally camping was included in the price and then find it is an extra $10 per day. Oh well, that is how it goes I guess. I am primarily here to get warranty work done and signed up as soon as possible after getting set up. Got a number 93 and tomorrow (9th July) they are seeing up to high 80's and a few 90's so likely mine will get done on the 10th of July (we hope). Don't know if we will stay after that is done. Wanted to see some of the displays and vendors, etc. but looks like most of that is next week. But do hope to meet some others. We are in the ham radio section C6 - Minnie Winnie - fairly close to the bath house (nice plus). Weather is very nice change from Texas heat - with windows open and the nice breeze coming through.
As long as you are there, you might a well hang around for the good stuff!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Well gang,
We've been here for a couple of days now. Like I stated in my other thread about this, we're not used to so much "green". And that means lots of water in the area. What that also means is, LOTS OF MOSQUITOS. They're out here by the zillions. Even the Winne staff says they've never seen it so bad.

So, for those of you that are either close to the GNR destinations or, are just leaving, stack up on your mosquito repellant. You'll need it. I got word that they're supposed to spray but, this is not confirmed. At present, there's good weather. It's been windy, approximately 10-15 mph with some stronger gusts now and then, all day. But, that wind doesn't even stop them little skeeters. So far, we've met lots of new and very courteous folks. I even did a radio interview with a local rep from a local station.

A buddy we're traveling with is taking his coach in tomorrow at about 6:00 A:M for a couple of items to be repaired. We're in the C-50 section which, is wide open and lots of view of the rest of the camp area. We've already pre-paid the GNR weeks worth of camping but, the 9 days we're here prior to the start of the GNR, we paid $135.00.

But, my buddy and I will be attending Camp Freightliner right after the GNR and those two days will be free. I'd really like this place if it weren't for the skeeters, I hate those little buggers. Bumps all over the place. We've tried to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather but, it get's a bit monotonous about swatting them or, at least swatting them away from you. We've tried a few repellant solutions and some have an effect and some don't.
Scott

P.S.
We did do the "whirlwind" factory tour this morning but, the nice gent that was conducting the tour was not all that knowledgeable about much of the operations and particulars of each station. It left much of us wondering about certain operations. We might take it again and hope for a different guide.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #23

And the skeeters are thick in bath houses also - spray goes in my shower bag next trip.
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 AM   #24

And a quick note for those coming up from the South on Hwy69. We took 69 at Webster City and we had about a 5 mile detour at Belmond - part of 69 was closed (flooding?). But the detour was not bad - still easier than taking IS35 all the way up and then West to Forest City. The wind was beating on me quite a bit but we made it through. The wind seemed worse on IS35 than 69 but maybe just changing wind. When you see hundreds of windmills and drive past them you can count on being in a windy area LOL. Our first trip to this area and looking forward to some camping after leaving here. Any ideas on nice campgrounds in MN just north of Forest City into the MN border?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

On the road about two hours out. Not looking forward to the mosquitos but anxious to get there. Stop by and say Hi I will be in the MILWIT row B proudly flying the Navy flag.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

We arrived yesterday afternoon. Parking was a challenge, not getting to the spot, getting the coach level. Hats off to the four young men who dug holes in the grass for our wheels to go into and allow the jacks to level the coach. I signed up for service this morning and was told they will have us in for repair tomorrow. Not looking forward to driving out of the holes and back in but it will be worth it.

Looking forward to a interesting and educational week. If you would like to stop by I am in row B1 flying the American and Navy Flag.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I'll be in Section C
Coming in from Oklahoma
billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
We arrived yesterday afternoon. Parking was a challenge, not getting to the spot, getting the coach level. Hats off to the four young men who dug holes in the grass for our wheels to go into and allow the jacks to level the coach. I signed up for service this morning and was told they will have us in for repair tomorrow. Not looking forward to driving out of the holes and back in but it will be worth it.

Looking forward to a interesting and educational week. If you would like to stop by I am in row B1 flying the American and Navy Flag.
CPO,
Wow, I know it's a bit of a challenge for many here on the un level, rolling mound, grassy areas to level but, it kind of amazes me that, they dug the holes for you. The reason I say that is because several of the "parking" staff stated really want "pads" under your jacks so they don't sink into the ground which, would cause holes and other issues. So, digging for wheels seems a bit counter productive. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm surely not criticizing you and or, any of the staff which by the way, are all real friendly and nice, I'm just wondering.

I too have "dug" out in many camping situations for the coach to be primarily level so the jacks don't have to be over-worked or, over extended trying to achieve a level status. Out here and now, I surely can see how that approach can work. Glad you can make it, lots of Winnies and Itascas here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
CPO,
Wow, I know it's a bit of a challenge for many here on the un level, rolling mound, grassy areas to level but, it kind of amazes me that, they dug the holes for you. ......
Scott
Ya, they dug holes for me too 5 yrs ago. As I recall they carefully keep the big divits intact so they can replant the sod back in the holes.

Looks like after Saturday, there won't be much rain.

Are the rally grounds in good shape to drive on?

Did they spray for mosquitoes? They love my wife. The rv parks inMichigan and Northern Illinois are loaded.

We will be at CDI for paint work on Tue and GNR on Wed......unless they get done early on Tue.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Guys,

If you can find it... We use Avon Skin-So-Soft (clear oil) as a skeeter repellent and find that it works better than most "repellant"products.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Scott,

Let me help clarify this for you. I am one of the Lead Parkers at GNR. (I am responsible for Section A). We have asked everyone to put large jack pads or long timbers under their levelers. This is not to prevent holes in the ground. This is to prevent the leveler jack from sinking into the ground because it is so soft from all the rain. We have seen people with an 8 inch pad and they put a small 8 inch jack pad under it. Both will quickly (over night) completely sink into the ground and will often not come back up. You have to dig a major hole to get them out and sometimes the springs pop off. (We have had people try to move their coach to get them loose and bend the pistons.)
The "diggers" (as we call the two college kids doing all the work) will normally provide three each 3 foot oak timbers to place under each jack. Or, in some cases it is better to dig a hole for the front or rear wheels to sink into get them to drop lower to aid in getting the motorhome level. For example, if the front end was too high they will sometimes dig two hole for the front tires to drop 8 to 10 inches with is often just enough to get the motorhome level. Each case, of course, is different.
The holes will be refilled after GNR and the grass will quickly return.
A jack pad should be twice the size of your leveler pad. If your leveler pad is 8 inches then you need a jack pad that is 16 inches; 9 inches would mean 18 inch jack pad, etc. A plastic pad is not very useful and I did have a guy try to use an 18 in jack pad made out of 1/4 inch plywood which also did not work. We dug out his jacks this morning.
I hope this helps.
>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

We plan to arrive Monday early afternoon. We will be in the Wisconsin row in Section A. We are looking forward to it as we have not attended for about 6 years. This will be our second time.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Petro
We will likely be neighbors, we are in the same row and section, 30 amp. We will likely be in monday. Safe travels
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

A question for those of you already in Forest City. We plan to leave tomorrow morning and arrive sometime in the early afternoon. Normally we travel with about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water and fill up at Pammel Park before heading on to the rally grounds.

Does anyone know if the water/dump stations in the park are open? It was reported earlier that most of the park was under water. I don't know if the water affected the dump station area, or whether the water has to be tested and certified before it's open again to the public.

A second question. If the water/dump station is open is the gravel area solid enough to support an RV with a full water tank?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

The water- dump is fine, no problems. The overflow surface water receded weeks ago. I also plan on being on the Rally grounds Monday. Currently at the visitor center.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
A question for those of you already in Forest City. We plan to leave tomorrow morning and arrive sometime in the early afternoon. Normally we travel with about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water and fill up at Pammel Park before heading on to the rally grounds.

Does anyone know if the water/dump stations in the park are open? It was reported earlier that most of the park was under water. I don't know if the water affected the dump station area, or whether the water has to be tested and certified before it's open again to the public.

A second question. If the water/dump station is open is the gravel area solid enough to support an RV with a full water tank?
I called the WIT office yesterday and the dump stations are open at Pammel Park. They recommend that early arrivals should check in at the rally site because it is higher ground. It is my understanding high water does not contaminate a potable water system unless the pressure is lost or the line is broken. I believe you will find the potable water is on. If anybody knows otherwise I hope they will jump in and report the situation.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I called the WIT office yesterday and the dump stations are open at Pammel Park. They recommend that early arrivals should check in at the rally site because it is higher ground. It is my understanding high water does not contaminate a potable water system unless the pressure is lost or the line is broken. I believe you will find the potable water is on. If anybody knows otherwise I hope they will jump in and report the situation.

Don
We dumped and filled potable water there on Thur and all is fine. Just saw several there a little while ago.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

We arrived late the afternoon, but had dumped before leaving Illiwick this morning. We're in E-section, with 50A, and conveniently next to a potable water spigot which we used to fill our tank, after leveling.

So far, the grounds look pretty good (dry), and there are LOTS of coaches here already. Looks like we'll be using the mosquito repellant a lot.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Yes Pammel Park is now open, the dump stations and fresh water are working. Yes, they did spray for bugs late Wednesday evening but it rained since then so I am not sure how effective it was. We have seen a lot of wind so I have not noticed the bugs but they are around in the evening. We have 450 to 500 motorhomes to park in two days, so please be patient as this is an unusually large number. Everyone on the web has indicated they are coming tomorrow (Monday) and I am really concerned we are going to have problems handling the large volume. I know you will have a great time when you finally arrive and get settled. Enjoy your stay. If you any problems feel free to track me down at Section A, Row 7, Site 26; or, just call me at 931-200-2498. I am primarily responsible for Section A but I can help you in any Section.
>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Yes Pammel Park is now open, the dump stations and fresh water are working. Yes, they did spray for bugs late Wednesday evening but it rained since then so I am not sure how effective it was. We have seen a lot of wind so I have not noticed the bugs but they are around in the evening. We have 450 to 500 motorhomes to park in two days, so please be patient as this is an unusually large number. Everyone on the web has indicated they are coming tomorrow (Monday) and I am really concerned we are going to have problems handling the large volume. I know you will have a great time when you finally arrive and get settled. Enjoy your stay. If you any problems feel free to track me down at Section A, Row 7, Site 26; or, just call me at 931-200-2498. I am primarily responsible for Section A but I can help you in any Section.
>> Dennis
Looks like great temperatures too! Sounds like a perfect GNR is about to launch!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote