Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 04:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Gearing Up For GNR 2016!!

Maria and I are starting to get excited! She retires, finally, on July 1st & our first trip out the gate will be to the Grand National Rally, our first! Made a video showing all the camera gear we're bringing. I know that in the RV community there is a lot of interest in this type of road gear, I'm new to most of it, but here is what we've decided to use to record the adventure of our lives.

https://youtu.be/AkGnjAgeqP0
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I hope you're not disappointed. We went in 2014. It was a big let down for us. A new WIT manager wanted to do things her way. It wasn't like any other rally we've been to. Not at all what our friends told us about previous GNRs.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Matt;

Bev and I are getting excited to get to GNR also. We will be in the Wisconsin Row. We are going early on the 13th to try and get our slide toppers changed as they are showing age. WGO makes no appointments during GNR and it is first come first serve basis.

Charlie is right about 2014. We were there and we were just as disappointed as he was We left the bleacher area early do to our disappointment about the entertainment. The young lady was new at her job and did not think like us older retired folks. I sent a note to WGO and advised them what I thought was wrong and what needed to change. I am sure I was not the only one either. We were there in 2015 and there were some major changes at GNR. We left Happy Campers. I had the opportunity to meet with the WIT Staff while I was at the factory early this April. I complimented them about the changes they made in 2015 and I am sure 2016 will be even better.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We are first timers to the GNR. Looking forward to it. We need the slide floor sweep replaced so will try to get in by the 12th. Our dog will be recovering from knee surgery. I hope there is a dog walk not too far from us.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

When it rains...

Well, Dawson is recovering from his surgery very well. He is a big Belgian Shepherd. He needs all fours to carry him. He was operated on on the 6th and today, 7/11, he is placing his weight on it with gaining confidence. With help, he is doing the coach steps for 2 days now.

So, the GNR waits for no one. True? And we know this. We are in Gooding, ID at the moment. We stayed a full day to visit with a good friend. This morning we were closing up to continue on our 1900+ journey to FC when we heard a loud BANG and the refrigerator end of the slide stopped abruptly. I put the slide back out and tried it again. FC, we have a problem. We were now dead in the water. I did all that I could think of but couldn't get the slide to budge. After some frustrating moments on the phone we finally got Good Sam Roadside Assistance to get a mobile repair truck to us. Just as he pulled up I was removing the dress-up cover from the slide end. Of the 4 bolts holding the slide mounting plate to the rack rod, the top 2 were snapped off and the bottom 2 were pulled out a bit.

The repair guy and I got the slide stabilized and he removed the end plate. He drilled and tapped the bolts while my friend an I went for new bolts. The repair guy put the new bolts in and I tested the slide. It closed!!! And there it will stay till we get the the GNR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolts.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	132740   Click image for larger version

Name:	bolts 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	132741  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolts 2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	132742   Click image for larger version

Name:	bolts 3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	132743  

Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTaylor View Post
Maria and I are starting to get excited! She retires, finally, on July 1st & our first trip out the gate will be to the Grand National Rally, our first! Made a video showing all the camera gear we're bringing. I know that in the RV community there is a lot of interest in this type of road gear, I'm new to most of it, but here is what we've decided to use to record the adventure of our lives.

https://youtu.be/AkGnjAgeqP0
GNR?
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
GNR?
That's Winnebago's Grand National Rally that they host every year at the headquarters in Forest City, Iowa. Huge deal.

WIT Club Grand National Rally - Overview | Winnebago International Travelers
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
GNR?
LOL! I thought Guns N Roses. See where my head is!

Scott
Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We made it!

This was a well planned trip. I thought. As from my earlier posting, plans are not always as they are dreamed of. Just missing a deer that ran between us and an oncoming 18 wheeler is another one of those "not in the plan" moments. "missing" is a good happening in this instance.

We pulled in yesterday. The last 300 miles was slower going because of all the road work on these secondary roads in Nebraska and Iowa. As promised, the slide didn't move till we got here. When we went to put it out we heard that dreaded and feared to hear sound of something popping. After a quick visual inspection outside I felt it was safe to bring the slide back in. It had traveled out only a short distance. It came back in!

We registered for an appointment when we arrived, dumped the tanks and filled with fresh water at the park and then checked into the GNR. These folks have things well under control. Got me to my parking spot and parked with no problems. Coo-dos to these fine folks. Now, our mission is to have fun and to enjoy the sights.

Hope to meet you if you are here. We are in E 3/6.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This was a well planned trip. I thought. As from my earlier posting, plans are not always as they are dreamed of. Just missing a deer that ran between us and an oncoming 18 wheeler is another one of those "not in the plan" moments. "missing" is a good happening in this instance.

We pulled in yesterday. The last 300 miles was slower going because of all the road work on these secondary roads in Nebraska and Iowa. As promised, the slide didn't move till we got here. When we went to put it out we heard that dreaded and feared to hear sound of something popping. After a quick visual inspection outside I felt it was safe to bring the slide back in. It had traveled out only a short distance. It came back in!

We registered for an appointment when we arrived, dumped the tanks and filled with fresh water at the park and then checked into the GNR. These folks have things well under control. Got me to my parking spot and parked with no problems. Coo-dos to these fine folks. Now, our mission is to have fun and to enjoy the sights.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
It's great that you made it there! The factory will take good care of you. When I was there I enjoyed going out to Pilot Knob State Park and climbing up into the lookout tower.
ParkDetails

You sure have some nice weather to enjoy! High temp 78 F, low humidity, blue skies, white clouds-couldn't ask for anything better!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
It's great that you made it there! The factory will take good care of you. When I was there I enjoyed going out to Pilot Knob State Park and climbing up into the lookout tower.
ParkDetails

You sure have some nice weather to enjoy! High temp 78 F, low humidity, blue skies, white clouds-couldn't ask for anything better!
Thank you for this tip. This is our third time to FC but we didn't know of the park. We will have to check it out before we leave. Today even. We did go to the Grotto (if I recall the name correctly). That was fascinating. And, yes, this weather is lovely. Even the constant breeze is refreshing.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post

Happy trails,
Rick Y
We arrived around noon on Wednesday. We are in A-5/6. I am surprised at all the rigs here already.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote