Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Fuel prices

At what price do you decide to limit your RV travel? Is there a fuel price at which you decide to camp locally? (Within a single tank of fuel range.)
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

YUP!
My price point came back there in the '70's when it got up to 1.54 a gallon and we decided not to go to Canada as it was going to cost too darn much!
Since then we've mellowed quite a lot and rarely compute the cost of the trip while planning.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
RVCalypso

It doesn't affect our destination, we go to the areas we want to spend time in. Once there we just don't move much. When we move we only go a few miles probably less than 50 and explore that area. We have been traveling 3 to 5K miles over 5 months.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
At what price do you decide to limit your RV travel? Is there a fuel price at which you decide to camp locally? (Within a single tank of fuel range.)
no. well, of course there would be a theoretical limit but our national economy would be in the toilet when that happens so we'd all have much bigger problems to deal with. in the real world the price of fuel is of no consideration.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
At what price do you decide to limit your RV travel? $3.00

Is there a fuel price at which you decide to camp locally? No (Within a single tank of fuel range.)
Now the real key is what do I define as limiting my RV travel?
I go where I want / need to go, but if gas were $1.50 / gallon I would be lying if I said I would NOT be traveling more.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We live a carb free lifestyle. With the price of protein and fresh vegetables lately, diesel cost is barely a rounding error in our budget. #letsgobrandon

The old girl has a lot of miles left in her and we intend to help her realize her potential.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The first time diesel hit close to $5 a gallon we traveled the left coast. Didn't stop us. Prices down here right now is around $3.25 a gallon. Not going to stop us this time either. I posted before, spread your travel out staying longer in one place. If going 1000 miles away do it in 4 weeks at 250 miles per day. At the end of the 4th week your retirement pay will catch up with you and you can do it all over again. Just tell the kids, "thank you," for letting you spend their inheritance early.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would be lying if I said it didn't concern me, the price of, in our case, Gas. Current national price is 3.43. That will limit the amount of trips we take, usually several in the summer, this year only three are currently being planned. Should the price lower, which I highly doubt, this could be adjusted.

So yes, there is concern as this extra TAX does impact our ability to disburse more or less disposable income.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:34 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

When gas hit $3.00 a gallon we dropped anchor for a bit. Never let distance be an issue in the past but now we are being much more prone to limiting travel to the southeast where we live with less frequency, and have eliminated travel west of the Mississippi. It hurts but its the reality of living on a fixed retirement income.

Aging myself but I once recall buying gas for 13 cents a gallon back in the late 60's in a price war. That's my desired price point and what I yearn for today. But now I realize that's never going to happen again LOL!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We're planning a spring break trip for the end of March, a few hundred miles southwest and hopefully quite a few degrees warmer than here. We could drive our CR-V that gets 30+ mpg highway and stay in decent hotels for a lot less than it will cost to drive the MH and stay in campgrounds. But if the main point was saving money we never would have bought it in the first place.

But yeah, filling up even 1/2 tank @ $3.50+/gal really hurts a lot.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Fuel price threads have a very long history of going political. I’ve removed two posts. Anyone else want to go this way and that will be the end of the thread.

Fair warning.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

All I have is time and money ,and I'm running out of time . We will still go , that's why I got the coach .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I'm with deckape on this one. Fortunately, we're not on a tight budget so it's frustrating but not that significant for us. Let's say we were thinking about a 2,500 mi trip. At eight mpg, that's 312.5 gallons of gas. A $1.00 increase in gas price adds $312.50 to our trip. That wouldn't cause me to not go.

I'm not sure about wyocamper's math. A Honda CR-V may get "up to 34 mpg" but that's not a realistic average for most drivers and trips. Let's use it anyway. And let's say a "few hundred miles" is 300 mi, 600 RT.

The 8mpg RV will use 262.5 gal of gas vs. the CR-V's 61.8. At $3.50/gal, that's a difference of $200.70. Let's further say this is going to be a 7 day trip. That's a $28.68/night difference. Is that going to pay for a "nice hotel" along with the additional food costs? Pushing it to 1000 RT results in a 7-day difference of $47.79/day, still not a slam dunk in favor of the hotel.

Remember, the ownership cost of the RV is there whether you use it or not so we can only count the variable cost of the trip.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm with deckape on this one. Fortunately, we're not on a tight budget so it's frustrating but not that significant for us. Let's say we were thinking about a 2,500 mi trip. At eight mpg, that's 312.5 gallons of gas. A $1.00 increase in gas price adds $312.50 to our trip. That wouldn't cause me to not go.

I'm not sure about wyocamper's math. A Honda CR-V may get "up to 34 mpg" but that's not a realistic average for most drivers and trips. Let's use it anyway. And let's say a "few hundred miles" is 300 mi, 600 RT.

The 8mpg RV will use 262.5 gal of gas vs. the CR-V's 61.8. At $3.50/gal, that's a difference of $200.70. Let's further say this is going to be a 7 day trip. That's a $28.68/night difference. Is that going to pay for a "nice hotel" along with the additional food costs? Pushing it to 1000 RT results in a 7-day difference of $47.79/day, still not a slam dunk in favor of the hotel.

Remember, the ownership cost of the RV is there whether you use it or not so we can only count the variable cost of the trip.
Is that right? If the RV requires 201 gallons more gas than the CR-V then at $3.50 / gallon I see the net difference of $703.5

Depending on your economic situation that $703.5 more for that trip may not be a factor. But for some it is. What is the trip was just to go fishing, you may wish to go fishing but not pay $703.5 or more to do so. But if gas price was $1.75 you may splurge it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Remember the OP asked "At what price do you decide to limit your RV travel? Is there a fuel price at which you decide to camp locally?"

Are some saying the answer is unlimited, meaning is gas were to soar to $100/gallon you would not change anything?

$3 is where I say gas is too much PERIOD, does not matter what I use it for or how much I may buy. IT IS NOT WHAT ONE CAN AFFORD, that is different question. It is what price DO YOU DECIDE to LIMIT?

i.e. Whenever I buy any product and they try to tack on a 2 or 3 year warranty, I can afford all of that, but I have decided that my limit is $0 on any extended warranty PERIOD, including my RV. If someone could make a compelling case as to why that extended warranty should be bought, I would NOT buy the product.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have work hard and invested to get were I 'm today . I've had boats 25' -45' and now a 34T Forza class A . Fuel has never been a " not go " problem with any of them . Marina prices were always higher than street prices as were island prices. While in the coach, I get on the gas buddy app and locate a station where I can get into and get the discount. Yea , I might save a few dollars by doing this ,but in and out is what I'm looking for . If fuel gets to $ 8.00 a gallon I might be staying in Florida or at the port we built on my farm in Alabama. But I'm still going to use my toy, as I want to die broke .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
I have work hard and invested to get were I 'm today . I've had boats 25' -45' and now a 34T Forza class A . Fuel has never been a " not go " problem with any of them . Marina prices were always higher than street prices as were island prices. While in the coach, I get on the gas buddy app and locate a station where I can get into and get the discount. Yea , I might save a few dollars by doing this ,but in and out is what I'm looking for . If fuel gets to $ 8.00 a gallon I might be staying in Florida or at the port we built on my farm in Alabama. But I'm still going to use my toy, as I want to die broke .

So your limit is $8

I think that is all that the OP was looking to get at... a perspective from a number of people what they think there limit is that may force a buying habit change. Not what one could afford. I could afford to pay $8/gal if that was what the gas cost and I had a trip I wanted or needed to make. It would NOT stop me from complaining about what I paid, but would prevent me from planning frivolous non essential trips.

I am curious to learn limits from others, I may be the only one that thinks that $3 is too high I will say it this way; if $3 is NOT too high then the last 3 years I have owned an RV and shopped from lower prices of gas using Gas Buddy or similar was pointless.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Is that right? If the RV requires 201 gallons more gas than the CR-V then at $3.50 / gallon I see the net difference of $703.5

Depending on your economic situation that $703.5 more for that trip may not be a factor. But for some it is. What is the trip was just to go fishing, you may wish to go fishing but not pay $703.5 or more to do so. But if gas price was $1.75 you may splurge it.
Mea culpa. I forgot that spreadsheets don't work in the morning.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the replies. I never meant "At what price would you quit using your RV?" I live in central Florida and can use my RV year around and do. It takes a lot more planning in the winter but is still doable. There is so much to do on the east coast, that when gas prices exceed $4/gallon, i'm not inclined to plan a trip to the west coast. At $6/gallon I would probably take longer trips of an even shorter distance.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #20
Site Team

The only time I consider the gas price is when I’m looking/buying gas.

If I was concerned about gas prices I wouldn’t have bought a gas RV that gets 6.3 mpg - or any RV for that matter.

It’s the same with campground prices - we go, we stay. I couldn’t tell you what each of our stays has cost on any trip.

I saved for a secure retirement and invested wisely for my future.

In Economics class in college we learned about price “elasticity”. This will be different for everyone here, but for me gas and lodging is relatively inelastic for my RV trips. I don’t take these costs into my trip planning. It may be totally different for you though.

To answer the OP’s question… I’m not sure what cost would make us plan shorter trips. Perhaps $7 a gallon would I’d have to experience it to know for sure.

I’ll be 72 next month so when I started driving gas was $0.21 a gallon. And during “gas wars” I paid $0.17 a gallon. But I only made $26 a week working and going to school. So it’s all relative to me.

Tags
fuel