Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2022, 09:11 AM   #101
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
$6.39 for Diesel yesterday. quite frankly it sucks. I have read this thread, and lots of thoughts. Here in California they cant even provide electricity under normal times. The Green deal and loss of Nuclear plants and no change in infrastructure in the lost 40 years with a increase of population has now put California in third world rating. I am so happy I bought my sprinter based RV at a really cheap price. I see a collapse in RV purchases aswell as possible camp ground sites when nobody shows up. So SAD. It is still my vacation home and escape module so I have no intention of selling, too old to give up my last pleasure when in the future I may not be so mobile. Spend it while I can, Sorry kids you are on your own....

I would have to agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. On the same hand as much as people Hate California, even people living in California that hate California. Which is odd to me because one chooses where one lives and is free to move about our incredibly diverse and beautiful country. (The better part of me says DNR but I can’t help but bite the hook)

California is very far from third world country on any level. The California economy represents %15-17 percent of the total GDP in the United States. If it were it’s own country it would be the 5th largest economy in the world.

California also produces more renewable energy than any other state in the United States. In 2018, California ranked first in the nation as a producer of electricity from solar, geothermal, and biomass resources and fourth in the nation in conventional hydroelectric power generation. It’s renewable energy production accounts for 95% of its total energy output. The current drought and massive fires do contribute heavily to the rolling blackouts as well as transmission capabilities. These wimd,fire and drought conditions have also increased since 2018.

Californias infrastructure is rated at 31 out of 50 states and it spent almost 15 billion on infrastructure projects alone last year. If you apply the basic school grading system California gets a C+ across the board on infrastructure.

3 of the richest states medium income etc.. rank at 41,42 and 46. Not saying CA is the greatest and without its issues as every single state has its issues, but here are the particulars. Travel well on your journeys and enjoy the road!

But back to the Orginal posters question…..I would now say No price will keep me from traveling and enjoying our RV life. Currently in Mississippi.
Cake sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #102
Site Team

Every place has it's pluses and minuses. There are no "perfect" states to live in. It's all a compromise. But if you don't like where you live then vote with your feet and move.

I've lived in Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, Texas, California, and Wyoming. I see good and bad in every single one of those states. There is no one great place.

Get over it.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #103
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Every place has it's pluses and minuses. There are no "perfect" states to live in. It's all a compromise. But if you don't like where you live then vote with your feet and move.

I've lived in Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, Texas, California, and Wyoming. I see good and bad in every single one of those states. There is no one great place.

Get over it.
Agreed 100%
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:37 PM   #104
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake sniffer View Post
I would have to agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. On the same hand as much as people Hate California, even people living in California that hate California. Which is odd to me because one chooses where one lives and is free to move about our incredibly diverse and beautiful country. (The better part of me says DNR but I can’t help but bite the hook)

California is very far from third world country on any level. The California economy represents %15-17 percent of the total GDP in the United States. If it were it’s own country it would be the 5th largest economy in the world.

California also produces more renewable energy than any other state in the United States. In 2018, California ranked first in the nation as a producer of electricity from solar, geothermal, and biomass resources and fourth in the nation in conventional hydroelectric power generation. It’s renewable energy production accounts for 95% of its total energy output. The current drought and massive fires do contribute heavily to the rolling blackouts as well as transmission capabilities. These wimd,fire and drought conditions have also increased since 2018.

Californias infrastructure is rated at 31 out of 50 states and it spent almost 15 billion on infrastructure projects alone last year. If you apply the basic school grading system California gets a C+ across the board on infrastructure.

3 of the richest states medium income etc.. rank at 41,42 and 46. Not saying CA is the greatest and without its issues as every single state has its issues, but here are the particulars. Travel well on your journeys and enjoy the road!

But back to the Orginal posters question…..I would now say No price will keep me from traveling and enjoying our RV life. Currently in Mississippi.
Your numbers dont agree with the state of California's numbers. Its renewable energy production is only 33%. 66% comes from oil, coal, nuclear, and gas. Our state is headed for disaster if we go electric because the grid will not support it. The money issues are typical kick the can down the road borrowing. I love the state, but the politicians are destroying it faster than you think. The good news is people are awakening and ready to fight to bring back our Golden State.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #105
Site Team

Let’s keep politics and politicians out of this discussion. If we get more posts about politics this thread will end abruptly.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #106
Winnebago Vita 24P

So shorter trips may be the future for many while fuel prices are high, my biggest worry is that some campgrounds go out of business. We were just at Collins Lake near Marysville CA and it was empty. I hope folks arent cancelling their local favorites. These facilities need our support. Budget accordingly and have some fun.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:35 AM   #107
Winnebago Camper

Right, just dont worry about it. Cut back a tank of gas if you have to, maximize your stops, drive slower. Cut out extravagances.

Dont forget, if you were home the food expenses are still there. And i can spend a tank of gas money on a shopping trip if i was bored at home!

Life could be alot worse…
And we dont know what next year will bring…enjoy the now.
LuvWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:44 AM   #108
Winnebago Owner

I agree, budgeting will just need to account for the cost. I will keep going but likely to make it closer in.

I might rethink a cross country trip but am still planning on a six hour drive. Which in Texas is still in Texas.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #109
Winnebago Master

We already have reservations for August and it is a 1200 mile trip one way. At 7.2 mpg it will be about $800 for fuel at $5 a gallon (if it stays that way.). I'll stretch out the legs and make it a 4 week trip to get there so when I do arrive $800 will have caught up with me from my retirement money. I'll be able to spend that on good grub for 1 month. Oh, then the return trip.

Still going.

Sam's Club today had regular gas at $3.62, and it is about $.25 cheaper than the other local stations. Diesel was $4.35...not good, but not bad considering.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:12 PM   #110
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Personally, I prefer to pay cash for everything I can. That has two benefits:
1.) You always know what you have in reserve.
2.) You never get a bill at the end of the month.
Eagle5
]
I love using AMEX to buy things for our business. I get a 30 day interest free loan each month. And with all of the points I get, I fix up my RV for free…
Old 03-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #111
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
Personally, I would never carry the amount of cash I would need for even a one week trip for gas, campground fees, food, etc. That's what credit/debit cards are for. For fuel, but especially for diesel, the credit card receipt/record gives me proof of purchase in case of water or other contaminants. Plus I have a card that gives me a 3% cash reward on travel related charges like gas and campgrounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I love using AMEX to buy things for our business. I get a 30 day interest free loan each month. And with all of the points I get, I fix up my RV for free…
I agree with you both, the comedy skit was funny but it is pointed to those that borrow money to pay for what they cannot afford.

That is DISTINCTLY different from those that not only do not do that, but also beat the banks at their own game by applying essentially all allowable purchases to a credit card, and then pay that same credit card off in full every month. You not only end up with super exceptional credit, but $1,000s of dollars every year in cash back and award points.

I NEVER pay real cash for anything, never use debit etc. I charge 100% to my credit cards and pay 100% in full every month. I should also add, that I have not paid 1 dime in interest or late fees. Did not finance my RV nor any of the cars. Take it a step further, I never travel with any cash; if I need real cash; I would be screwed for real, but I can't possibly imagine that happening? Credit cards are your friends if you know how to use them. Financing has value and also can be beneficial for major purchases but financing on a credit card is almost always a bad idea which I think was the point of the comedy skit?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:20 AM   #112
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Let’s keep politics and politicians out of this discussion. If we get more posts about politics this thread will end abruptly.
100% agree. Please keep politics away from this forum.
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #113
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I agree with you both, the comedy skit was funny but it is pointed to those that borrow money to pay for what they cannot afford.

That is DISTINCTLY different from those that not only do not do that, but also beat the banks at their own game by applying essentially all allowable purchases to a credit card, and then pay that same credit card off in full every month. You not only end up with super exceptional credit, but $1,000s of dollars every year in cash back and award points.

I NEVER pay real cash for anything, never use debit etc. I charge 100% to my credit cards and pay 100% in full every month. I should also add, that I have not paid 1 dime in interest or late fees. Did not finance my RV nor any of the cars. Take it a step further, I never travel with any cash; if I need real cash; I would be screwed for real, but I can't possibly imagine that happening? Credit cards are your friends if you know how to use them. Financing has value and also can be beneficial for major purchases but financing on a credit card is almost always a bad idea which I think was the point of the comedy skit?
You know, I thought about paying cash for our RV, but I make more on my investments than what they charged for the loan. That, and the interest is write-off.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #114
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
Personally, I would never carry the amount of cash I would need for even a one week trip for gas, campground fees, food, etc. That's what credit/debit cards are for. For fuel, but especially for diesel, the credit card receipt/record gives me proof of purchase in case of water or other contaminants. Plus I have a card that gives me a 3% cash reward on travel related charges like gas and campgrounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
You know, I thought about paying cash for our RV, but I make more on my investments than what they charged for the loan. That, and the interest is write-off.
Yes, but I don't invest 100% of my capital. It is best to have balance portfolio for the ultimate security. I have some cash sitting around and it is typically earning low interest or on CDs. I rather pay the cash to pay off and avoid any and all loan expenses and call it a day. Besides, I REFUSE to be hassled with some whippersnapper wanting to process all of my personal information to process a loan

One other note, I don't have ability to write anything off, I get robbed every year paying taxes; but I don't cry about it anymore. The tax laws benefit the extremely wealthy, business owners, or the extremely poor. I am neither. I learned that when I learned I could not deduct ANY of my kids College expenses
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #115
Winnebago Owner

We left the SF Bay Area on Saturday for a little plane trip. Regular was over $6 per gallon in the station closest to the highway. Yeah, fill the 80 gallon tank for $480, can’t even get a quarter tank with the limit on the credit card.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel