Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2022, 05:24 AM   #81
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Does that model come with somebody to do the vacuuming?
Yes, its called Bonnie
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #82
Winnebago Owner

I was bummed that I didn't fill up at $2.88 3 weeks ago because I was tired, then made a beeline to fill up at $3.13 a few days after the conflict started. We are now at $3.84 at the local Costco. It is usually 15-20 cents cheaper than anywhere else.

I typically have shorter trips but it hurts everytime to fill up, still hasn't gotten to the point that it stops me.

A few things:
1) I think the conflict won't be long lived.
2) Gas prices will come down somewhat when it ends and others fill in the supply gap
3) The gains in the Stock market over the last 2 years have outpaced gas prices, of course this year has been painful.
4) I started this as a hobby, and it is still cheaper than many other middle aged hobbies I could have gotten into. I know a few that have purchased fancy sports cars, go out drinking/partying, smoking..... All are more expensive than this.

Just my two cents.

I wonder when they will come up with Electric Class C's, A's. I can only imagine the initial price tags.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:29 AM   #83
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post

I wonder when they will come up with Electric Class C's, A's. I can only imagine the initial price tags.
I've had brief thoughts about purchasing the F-150 EV. Charge up for free at the site! However, the extended range can get 300 miles WITHOUT pulling a load. I can imagine that pulling a trailer, 150 miles would be nominal, especially on an incline. If you're 200 miles away from your destination, then what?

Even if you could get 500 miles, campsites would probably become aware of the extra electricity usage and would start metering.

Rivian R1T Takes On The World's Toughest Towing Test
Old 03-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #84
Site Team

Using John Williams' inflation calculator ...
... the annual inflation rate February 2021 to February 2022:
...... CPI-U = 8%
...... 1980 Standard = 16%
... the "most recent month" projection for the next year using the one month increase from January 2022 to February 2022:
...... CPI-U = 0.91% × 12 = 11%
...... 1980 Standard = 2.67% × 12 = 32%
Eagle5
Old 03-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #85
Site Team

My Costco fill up in San Luis Obispo in CA was $5.19 per gallon on Sunday. RVing is still a great, if not the cheapest, way to travel.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #86
Winnie-Wise

The worst part of the increased price is the pump limits of $100, or even $75 on some. The gas station blames it on your credit card bank, but the bank says not so. Mine says I am free to charge up to my credit limit on any purchase, including gas.

Ok, the extra hit to the card balance isn't great either, but the gas station stupidity just compounds it.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #87
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
The worst part of the increased price is the pump limits of $100, or even $75 on some. The gas station blames it on your credit card bank, but the bank says not so. Mine says I am free to charge up to my credit limit on any purchase, including gas.

Ok, the extra hit to the card balance isn't great either, but the gas station stupidity just compounds it.

It is the station and the credit card/bank insurance actually. I can raise the max limit on my pump to what ever I like $75,$100,$800 etc. The issue is……most all “major”credit cards have an insurance rate of $100. Pre paid cards $50-75 (even lower).

Let’s say a shady shyster steals or clones a credit card. The thief then uses the card at my station. The card thief doesn’t pay and the actual card holder doesn’t pay. The credit card insurance/bank pays (which ever your card is through). They pay only their card insurance limit/max for fueling stations. So…… if I raise my limit on my pump to $150 and a shady, shyster, thief comes and gets fuel, I pay for any excess over $100. I pay for the thief’s relief, I pay the $50! If I have no limit on my pump, I pay the whole amount.
I can even deny certain cards or pre pay cards from being used all together. Debit cards or prepays will also put a hold on or deposit on your card so the payment is guaranteed. I got shystered last spring on a prepay card so I deleted that card from my que. the company only paid me $50 out of the $125 of fuel the shyster pumped. If there’s a forest fire or heavy truck filling for forest activity I will raise my limit to $500 so the trucks can keep it flowing. That is the Only time I will ever raise my pump limit. If you go to a station that has a $75 limit it’s most they get a lot of shysters or prepay cards. I Hope this clarifies the $100-$75 limit you and I both deal with.
Even worse is trying to run my card twice and getting the “please see cashier”. I feel empathy for them because their in a higher shyster demographic.
Cake sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #88
Winnebago Owner

for folks wanting to participate in the ev scam just think about this:

EVs Per Block In Your Neighborhood

A home charging system for a Tesla requires a 75-amp service. The average house is equipped with 100-amp service. On most suburban streets the electrical infrastructure would be unable tocarry more than three houses with a single Tesla. For half the homes on your block to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly overloaded.

Rv parks in some instance have issues now, what would you expect in the future??
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #89
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank857 View Post
for folks wanting to participate in the ev scam just think about this:

EVs Per Block In Your Neighborhood

A home charging system for a Tesla requires a 75-amp service. The average house is equipped with 100-amp service. On most suburban streets the electrical infrastructure would be unable tocarry more than three houses with a single Tesla. For half the homes on your block to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly overloaded.

Rv parks in some instance have issues now, what would you expect in the future??
I wouldn't call it a scam. It sounds like an infrastructure problem to solve
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #90
Winnebago Owner

https://www.americaoutloud.com/the-e...-vehicle-scam/

full article.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:55 AM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
for folks wanting to participate in the ev scam....
You realize that horse and buggy owners had the exact same kind of biases against automobiles 115 years ago. Right?

Back then the idea of readily available gasoline, reliable engines, long lasting tires, good roads, etc was just as impossible to comprehend by closed minded folks as the idea of an electric car future is to some folks today.

Things change, whether you want them to or not. That's about the only sure thing you can bet on (plus, D&T, of course).
Old 03-11-2022, 11:20 AM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
Believe that if you wish, but realize it's from a totally dubious "source" written by very strident climate change deniers that operate the "International Climate Science Coalition." Partially funded by Murray Energy. Their stated goal is to combat climate change policies worldwide. The authors are past directors and supported by the Heartland Institute. The Heartland Institute is an American conservative and libertarian public policy think tank known for its rejection of the scientific consensus on climate change and the negative health impacts of smoking.

Look, for every article you can find against EV adoption I can find 50 that take the opposite opinion.

We certainly don't need to have this "debate" here, that's for sure.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #93
Site Team

I keep thinking back to Jay Leno's Turbine Car, and how that power might be coupled with the existing hybrid systems. Motorhomes need a large amount of energy to motivate down the road. The advantage of powering the generator with a Turbine is that it can use any fuel. You would not necessarily need to use gasoline. Short trips could be battery-only. The Turbine would only need to run at optimum power, thereby increasing its efficiency.
Eagle5
Old 03-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #94
Winnebago Owner

Started working When minimum wage was $1.25 and gas 39 cents full service. Fill ‘er up and check the oil.

Had to pay $6/gal to get out of California yesterday.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:22 PM   #95
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake sniffer View Post
It is the station and the credit card/bank insurance actually. I can raise the max limit on my pump to what ever I like $75,$100,$800 etc. The issue is……most all “major”credit cards have an insurance rate of $100. Pre paid cards $50-75 (even lower).
Yeah, I know all that but it still sucks anyway. Supposedly you can go in the store and give them your card and a max amount you expect to pay. I tried that once and told the clerk $200, he told me that they were going to charge $200 on my card no matter how much the actually gasoline cost was. I started to argue about it but I've met smarter stumps, so I went back out and just pumped till it cut off and then swiped a second time.

So what do you do if one of us comes in with the card while the other pumps gas? Do you adjust your max in that case?
Old 03-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #96
Winnebago Camper

. So what do you do if one of us comes in with the card while the other pumps gas? Do you adjust your max in that case?[/QUOTE]

If someone comes in it’s either a prepay cash/credit in the system or an authorized sale. They leave the card and pump till their hearts content. There’s no need to adjust the limit because it’s a prepay cash/credit or authorized sale. If someone comes in with a prepay they need to tell me the amount to authorize. There’s no way to tell if the card is good unless we run it. It doesn’t matter if you swipe it inside or outside the card puts a hold or deposit on your card either way. Hence the guy telling you it’s going to put $200 on your card either way. Most debit cards you can only use 2 times either way because the hold it puts on and the max daily hold of the debit card is $2-300. I’ve had traveling folks try and get fuel on their debit only to be denied inside and at the pump. It’s a card issue and there’s nothing the station can do.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:56 PM   #97
Site Team

Personally, I prefer to pay cash for everything I can. That has two benefits:
1.) You always know what you have in reserve.
2.) You never get a bill at the end of the month.
Eagle5
Old 03-11-2022, 09:24 PM   #98
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Personally, I prefer to pay cash for everything I can. That has two benefits:
1.) You always know what you have in reserve.
2.) You never get a bill at the end of the month.
Eagle5

Couldn’t agree with you more!

When I was young someone told me “never finance your toys always buy them out right” definitely sound advice.

Reminds of the saying “it ain’t over till the moneys gone and the toys are broken”
Old 03-11-2022, 10:27 PM   #99
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Personally, I prefer to pay cash for everything I can.

Personally, I would never carry the amount of cash I would need for even a one week trip for gas, campground fees, food, etc. That's what credit/debit cards are for. For fuel, but especially for diesel, the credit card receipt/record gives me proof of purchase in case of water or other contaminants. Plus I have a card that gives me a 3% cash reward on travel related charges like gas and campgrounds.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:52 AM   #100
Winnebago Vita 24P

$6.39 for Diesel yesterday. quite frankly it sucks. I have read this thread, and lots of thoughts. Here in California they cant even provide electricity under normal times. The Green deal and loss of Nuclear plants and no change in infrastructure in the lost 40 years with a increase of population has now put California in third world rating. I am so happy I bought my sprinter based RV at a really cheap price. I see a collapse in RV purchases aswell as possible camp ground sites when nobody shows up. So SAD. It is still my vacation home and escape module so I have no intention of selling, too old to give up my last pleasure when in the future I may not be so mobile. Spend it while I can, Sorry kids you are on your own....

Tags
fuel