Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Custom Mats

When we purchased our 2012 Journey 42E it had some left over carpet cut as a mat to fit the cockpit area. After a years worth of use it needs to be replaced. Anyone know if there is an aftermarket mat that will fit this area. I have seen other manufacturers that have custom cut mats to fit this area. I could have another piece of carpet cut to fit this area but I would like to get some type of all weather mat if possible.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What I have done is to go to Lowe's and get a 3 or 4 ft length of the heavy, charcoal gray, outdoor runner they sell by the foot. It is very durable, has a non-slip backing, and can either be vacuumed or washed with a hose when dirty. It can easily be cut to any desired shape and will not ravel at the edges when cut. Works great as a floor mat under the driver's feet and we also cut sections to use as mats on the entry steps.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I had the same situation with the carpet as you when I bought our Meridian. The dealer made up a nice carpet piece that over time began to look soiled. I took that piece to a local carpet shop and matched something similar and then I had them bind all around the edges. It look very professional and lasted another 4 years. The piece I picked was a remnant so it cost very little plus the cost for binding. I liked it so much that I matched that carpet with another piece for the dash and had them bind that as well. The dogs like to sit on the dash when we are parked and look out so the carpet works great and looks like factory. I think the floor piece with binding cost me $112.00 and the dash cover was $97.00.
Just a thought for you.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I talked my friendly carpet dealer out of a remnant of fine, beautiful carpet. Made a template out of heavy paper and made my own mat. When it gets dirty or worn, throw it away and cut a new one. 10 minute job when you have the template. And, always nice looking new carpet. Fine plush carpet feels sooo good when driving in your bare feet!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Or you can cut an office chair carpet protector to fit and kiss that problem goodby forever

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

floor mats . . . . ......

smlranger - I did 'zactly as you did - bought a welcome mat (w/o the word) and just set it down in front of the drivers seat. Looked so nice that we then went back to Home D'po and bought more to use as step covers. If you like the idea, better toddle over to Home D'po and buy a half dozen more, as they are running out of stock and will not replenish stock.
That store must share inventory control people with Costco. Thy both run out of stock on popular items and poof - all gone.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
What I have done is to go to Lowe's and get a 3 or 4 ft length of the heavy, charcoal gray, outdoor runner they sell by the foot. It is very durable, has a non-slip backing, and can either be vacuumed or washed with a hose when dirty. It can easily be cut to any desired shape and will not ravel at the edges when cut. Works great as a floor mat under the driver's feet and we also cut sections to use as mats on the entry steps.
I'm going to Lowe's!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I bought a small entry mat at Menards that fits perfect under drivers feet for about $3. Then we have a Orvis weatherproof mat between the two front seats. works great.

Bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We bought 4 decorative kitchen mats made from a foam rubber type of material. They stick to the tile, look good & also cut pieces for the steps & one for in front of the sink/stove area to match. We also had the carpet piece from the dealer. It fits ok, but also is not the same color as the rest of our flooring. We roll this up & store it in the basement . I pull it out anytime the motor home is going in for service and put it over the floor mats. I also put an old set of sheets over the seats for the people to sit on and not get them dirty. Being a mechanic myself I know how grease & grime seems to get on my clothes & shoes even if I never leave the office.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Or you can cut an office chair carpet protector to fit and kiss that problem goodby forever
This is what I did back in 2007. We were living in the wet Pacific Northwest at the time and I have a driver's door in my motorhome. I cut the mat to fit around the steering column and other protuberances. This has shown no wear in the last 6 years and keeps the carpet clean and dry. I will occasionally let the dirt/mud dry and just wipe out with a damp rag. You can see the carpet color through the mat so it doesn't look bad at all - it is practically unnoticeable.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Not sure about your Journey, but I bought a set of Goodyear car mats from Costco for my 2013 Sunstar. Placed the two large mats sideways in front of the driver and passenger seats. Took the two smaller mats and placed them on the carpet near the engine hump (next to the laminate flooring). Got a tan color which matched the carpet and the mats are a soft rubber (not plastic). Looks pretty good and the cost was $20... Custom mats were way too expensive and this worked!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We use 2 door mats that we purchased from Home Depot. They look great.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote