Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have been looking at new and used MH's, and it seems that the used Winnebagos are in really decent condition. I drove a new 06 Tour, 36LD, really nice. Also found an 04 Vectra 40', low miles and a decent price. The sales guy made a convincing case for the way the Winnebago is put together, the steel cage up front, and the way the roof is attached to the walls. We are shooting for 12-08, as a retirement date, so I am not rushing into this. Seems many of the folks here research for a year or more before they bite. So, what attracted you to the Winnebago over a Holiday Rambler, or Newmar, or one of the coaches made by Tiffin? I should say we are thinking of pulling the car, (300c) in an enclosed trailer, with room for my Harley in the front. The goal is nationwide travel, but not really full timing, for about 10 years, and then settling down where ever the grandkids are.
RideSlow2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been looking at new and used MH's, and it seems that the used Winnebagos are in really decent condition. I drove a new 06 Tour, 36LD, really nice. Also found an 04 Vectra 40', low miles and a decent price. The sales guy made a convincing case for the way the Winnebago is put together, the steel cage up front, and the way the roof is attached to the walls. We are shooting for 12-08, as a retirement date, so I am not rushing into this. Seems many of the folks here research for a year or more before they bite. So, what attracted you to the Winnebago over a Holiday Rambler, or Newmar, or one of the coaches made by Tiffin? I should say we are thinking of pulling the car, (300c) in an enclosed trailer, with room for my Harley in the front. The goal is nationwide travel, but not really full timing, for about 10 years, and then settling down where ever the grandkids are.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

you will get a lot of different reasons. Mine are the steel cage #1. Cabinets,dinettes, nearly every thing is fastened to steel gussets in the walls. I like the basement a\c and heat pump, & motoraide heat system. I think Winnebago will bring a better price at trade in or sell time. Their customer support at the factory is outstanding. They make schematics and diagrams available online for the owner or DIYer. One drawback I find their dealer network isn't any better than any one elses.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We are on our third Winnebago. What we have now is a 2003 Ultimate Advantage 40K. The coach has been a great coach - now with 62,000 miles. We had the normal few problems right after we bought it, but you will have some of these problems with any coach. The quality of construction is probably the best reason to buy a Winnie. If you have a chance to do a factory tour, tour a couple of their competitors then do the Winnebago tour. Their assembly system is completely different than anyone else. You can really SEE the difference when you do the factory tours.

We also have friends with SOB (Some Other Brand) and have watched them spend more time at the American (Fleetwood) or Monaco factory then I would ever put up with. If you want a coach that will last and not require a lot of constant repairs, then go with the Winnebago.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
2003 Ultimate Advantage 40K
Towing Saturn L100
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Structural, solid roof vs rubber, service, floorplan, resale, purchase price, looks.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Rideslow:

Welcome to the forum . As you have already seen from the responses, you will get lot's of help and feedback on this forum.

We're on our second Winnebago, both purchased used, and I believe they represent good value in a motorhome. There are a lot of good motorhomes available but I believe all brands can have their problems. Winne does seem to offer good factory support and the availability of technical data on their rigs (even previous model years) is outstanding.

If you plan to spend a lot of time on the road, especially pulling an enclosed trailer, you will probably want to stay in the Vectra (Winnebago) or Horizon (Itasca) level of coach. With their standard 400hp engine and independent front suspension, would think they would make for a better driving experience. If your towed weight will exceed 10,000 lbs, you may need to consider a tag axle rig, something Winne does not offer at this time.

You are wise to shop carefully, do a lot of research and get a rig that best meets your traveling needs. If you decide on a Winnebago product, don't think you will be disappointed and we hope you will return to IRV2 and share your experiences.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

All above are good reasons that I concur with. Also we went with a 32T pusher as we love the state and national campgrounds and want to fit into the smaller parks. I also love the full body paint, and the upgraded features of the Itasca. I highly recommend Winnie/Itasca.

We will be full timing in mid 08'. See ya on the road!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We researched over many years, the final 3 or so much more seriously. We decided on Winnebago for several reasons. Construction quality evidenced inside cabinets and compartments, quality materials used, owner satisfaction expressed in person and on internet lists, large market share compared to low number of used Winnebago rigs for sale compared to other brands (indicator of owner satisfaction), steel cage, fiberglass roof. We did look at many other brands and consistently found poor finish details, walls that move when you lean on them, low quality materials, etc. We eventually concluded you get way more for your money with a Winnebago.

The one weakness of a Winnebago roof is that you must have the roof cap side sealant inspected/repaired annually to maintain the roof's integrity and the warranty.

We have been quite pleased with the quality of our Winnebago and with the customer care received, particularly from Owner Relations both by telephone and by email.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The 2004 Vectra/Horizon were very problematic. A new model and a new plant. Lots of problems.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #10

I agree with all the above posts....

Winnebago is a great bang for your buck and a great value.

The one caveot is Winnebagos have the weakest insulation values of the other brands you mentioned. Newmar is most likely tops in that catagory, followed by Holiday Rambler, then Tiffen with Winnebago bringing up the rear.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Good info, learning at a high rate. Was the first I heard about the roof inspection requirement, thanks. Also, I appreciate the insulation info, not at your elevation, but we already RV during the winter. Somewhere on this site, I saw an ad for the CruiserLift. Maybe we will be able to hang the bike off the back, and just tow the car. Will have to run the weights. I noticed that I did not see many used Winnebagos, on the lots. Thanks for the tip on the 04 Vectra, good to know.

Thanks all, will be checking back.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I bought my 1998 Adventurer last year, my first RV. We shopped around at all the local dealerships and had our eye on a Flair which the DW loved. We then found the Adventurer and everything changed. The coach coupled with a great seller sealed the deal for us. We couldn't happier. It is a great product and has held up over the 9 years of her life. Winnebago will always be my first choice.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

One dealer who only sells used when asked about quality put it this way. Look over what is on the sales lots and pay attention to how nice on average certain brands look after 5 and 10 years. You will notice a trend that certain brands will look as good or better at 10 years of age as others do at 5 or even 3.

He then showed my his front lineup and said to note that the two coaches that were in the best condition the Winnie and Itasca were more than twice as old as the Georgie Boys and Damons. He asked which ones do you think will more likely still be on the road in another 5 or 10 years.

He sells only used and does a lot of consignment. He has to do much less repair/restoration on the Winnie/Itasca products then many of the other brands.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Went out today, we have an Itasca dealer one town north. Meridian is a nice looking rig, 36LSE and 39K, they also had a 40FD Horizon, for 199,000.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can gather info on how much the junk we carry around weighs? Fer instance, I think gas averages around 6lbs a gallon, water is 7lbs a gallon, diesel is ????? Propane????

Did you scale your rig before you loaded up? How did that match the sticker info?
Old 03-31-2007, 03:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RideSlow2004:
Went out today, we have an Itasca dealer one town north. Meridian is a nice looking rig, 36LSE and 39K, they also had a 40FD Horizon, for 199,000.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can gather info on how much the junk we carry around weighs? Fer instance, I think gas averages around 6lbs a gallon, water is 7lbs a gallon, diesel is ????? Propane????

Did you scale your rig before you loaded up? How did that match the sticker info? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just my opinion (and I have the sister to the Meridian), for your previously stated travel needs, I'd focus more on the Horizon/Vectra line than the Meridian/Journey. I believe the Freightliner EVO chassis can handle more weight, has IFS, and a 400hp engine standard.

Figure 8 lbs per gal for water. The types of things that I hear folks carry that really adds weight are tools, extra freezer in a storage compartment, portable air compressor, etc.

One of our members, John Canfield, has traveled extensively in a 40' Horizon and was/is at max. GVW. Perhaps he will jump in here and give some advice on that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Really have to make some hard choices, I looked at the pictures jimandsue put up, plus the #'s they got at the scalehouse. They are running a lot of weight. I may look at a shorter coach on the Evolution chassis, just to be able to hang the bike off the back.