Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question AZ resident traveling to CA with firearms in RV

Hi,

I'm not a CA resident, but I do travel there twice a year (for about a week at a time) to visit family, etc. My question is - can I carry my assault rifle (not California compliant) while traveling to CA? It's locked, unloaded and in the appropriate storage compartment, as to comply with federal laws for transporting firearms (the Firearms Owners' Protection Act, or "FOPA" states that "persons may transport firearms from any place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms, to any other place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms."

Does that mean that I need to own and register a CA compliant AR to travel to CA with it, even though I'm not a CA resident? Gunowners don't even register ARs here in AZ.

Not expecting an official legal advice, just trying to see if anyone else has faced a similar dilemma before.

Edit: just figured I'd mention - the purpose of me carrying the firearms is for self defense.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There is a Facebook page called "Concealed Camping: A Firearms Friendly RV and Camper Group" where you could ask the question since this topic can get to be unpleasantly controversial on some sites. Not saying that to be the case here, I really don't know. I'm just referring you to folks who are well versed on the topic is all, many are from CA.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526...?ref=bookmarks
Old 08-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately, I don't have a Facebook account. I'm not trying to start any controversial discussions here, just wanted to know if I can transport a non-California compliant firearm to California while traveling there with my RV, as a non-California resident.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Try this forum then. a good source of information, there's a camping catagory. The laws are sometimes not clear so take time to verify.

https://www.usacarry.com/forums/
Old 08-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I believe you answered your own question.

can I carry my assault rifle (not California compliant) while traveling to CA.

It's like bringing a hand gun into NY city (or others) without a proper permit. Don't get caught or you will be subject to the local laws.

Personally an AR is a bit of over kill, but that's my thought. A good old fashioned double barrel is my choice, legal in the US and Canada. Just need paperwork to cross border.

I read a great paper on carrying a firearm in an RV. Basically you should be careful where to place yourself. You do have wheels and can drive away. The outside of your rig and anything you have outside can be repaired or replaced (usually with insurance coverage). So the only thing you really need a firearm is if someone forces their way into your vehicle.... one shot from a shotgun will most likely deter the second person from entering.... and you have another round ready for that person

If you need to fire more than 2 rounds the chances are an AR wouldn't be any better.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I would be interested in what you are describing as an assault rifle. Example: AR-15 is not an "assault rifle." AR stand for ArmaLite rifle after the company that developed it in the 1950's. Like you I don't want to start any controversy but people do need to understand the differences.

an assault rifle is a a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. The key word is "automatic" and the AR-15 is not automatic.

Here is some information on What is not an assault rifle if anyone is intierested.

Many firearms can be turned into automatic weapons, and yes that is illegal.

You need to honor the states you are visiting laws. Also the federal law states that firearms can be transported between states, Then you have the state law that says if you stop in that state with a firearm you are violating their laws. The federal law gives you the right to travel "through,"

p.s., if you are caught you will forfeit you firearm and you will incur a lot of legal fees.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have an IWI X95 (5.56mm). Also considering getting an AR Pistol, but that's a separate discussion.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Old 08-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockelino View Post
I have an IWI X95 (5.56mm). Also considering getting an AR Pistol, but that's a separate discussion.

That is definitely an assault rifle.
Why would you want one to carry with you?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I know this isn't a political forum but I see this as a public safety, not a political issue and have to put in my two cents.

I'm with Wayne. If a retired Marine MSGT is questioning your carrying an assault rifle with you, I think you should seriously consider your motivations. Just who are you so afraid of?

I hope you don't start shooting when you're parked next to me!

By the way, I own guns, one of which I've owned since the age of 12 when I went through an NRA training program, but I don't feel the need to carry any of them with me in my RV or car "for self defense".
Old 08-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have a License To Carry and is good in many states. When I'm traveling in the RV I never have a firearm. Mostly because I stay at many federal installations and it is illegal to have a firearm on Federal Installations. Then there is the consideration of State laws. Just not worth the trouble, and if caught it is definitely not worth some jail time and fines.

Yes, I have heard of RV'ers glad to have had a firearm with them, but those instances are very few. In those cases none of them had an automatic weapon. Most were shotguns. Iln all the years of RV'ing I have never had a reason to have a firearm with me. In all the years I have carried I have never had the urge to brandish a weapon. I think it is a mind set and training.

I also don't want to turn this into any type of political or gun rights thread, Just an information thread on auto versus non-auto and assault versus non-assault firearms and RV travels.

I would gladly entertain private messages or emails on the subject.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the informative post(s). I have no "urge" to bring my AR with me (by the way, it's semi auto, not automatic weapon), just asking a question, since it's completely legal here in Arizona. Some people prefer shotguns, I personally don't own any. I agree that if a certain weapon is not legal to transport in CA, then it's definitely not a good idea to break any gun laws in that state.
BobC's post could've been less hostile and paranoid, but every user has a different style, I guess.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Site Team

This thread is a potential argument just waiting for one member to cross the line - either way. So, I'm closing it.

It's not an off limits subject, it's just better suited at firearms related forums. No harm in asking the question. Just a "powder keg" topic.

Hope everyone understands.
Closed Thread

Tags
travel