Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 12:32 AM   #81
Site Team

Hi Lowdie24,
As you had the exact 22M motorhome I now have, I was interested to watch a video of your new 27PE. At 4½' longer and two slide-outs, it certainly is much bigger. I notice now that Winnebago makes the 27P now. What are the differences between the 27PE and the 27P?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #82
Winnebago Owner

Well I just bought my first Winnebago product. I haven't had a coach in a while but the kids are grown now. So my wife and I are the proud owner of a well maintained 2009 Journey 39Z. My opinion right no is that the fit and finish is a lot better than then early model Discovery we had. Especially the car go doors. We will be taking our first trip in a week for a few weeks. If everything goes right I can see a Tour 42 in my near future or maybe another journey
Old 11-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #83
Site Team

Hi HollywoodGT,
This thing looks plenty big. Very nice too.
Eagle5
Old 11-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #84
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Eagle5,

I did a bit of digging and I believe that WBO is no longer making the 27PE. They have replaced it with the 27P, with the critical difference being the power plant. The 27P is fitted with new Ford 7.3 Litre V8, replacing the venerable Triton 6.8 Litre V10. This has shortened the overall length by four inches (4”) to 28’ 4” vs 28’ 8”.
The only other difference I can see is the removal of the Driver & Passenger MCD sunscreens and hanging privacy curtains and replaced with pull down MCD blackout screens and snap on vinyl window covers.
There may be other changes but so far I cannot detect them.
One other change in model lineup; Sunstar and Vista no longer carry the 27N. It has been "moved up" in the batting line up to the Adventurer Line.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #85
Site Team

Hi Lowdie24,
Great to know all the updates for the 27P. That new Ford V8 sure sounds like a better powerplant, even considering that the V10 was very good in the first place. The one negative is price. With the super-high demand this year and low inventories, the prices certainly are higher than they were two years ago when I bought.
I just checked-out the Lichtsinn presentation for the new V8 in the 22M. Pretty cool, but one of the changes we asked Winnebago to do for future models was to reverse the swing on the right-hand closet door. Very sorry to see that they did not incorporate our suggestion.
Eagle5
Old 11-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #86
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Can’t you just reverse the closet door on your unit?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #87
Site Team

Of course, and many of us have. It was simply a zero-cost change for Winnebago. Some of us gave that feedback to Winnebago, but I guess the "looks" of the closet doors when inside the bedroom won the day.
The 22M is a copy of the Thor 22FE floorplan, and on that model, the closet can also be accessed from the dinette.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #88
Winnebago Owner

We're very happy with our 2005 Itasca 24V Class C, but it has been a long process realizing just how happy we are with it.

This has happened over time partially because of all the things I've read in the RV forums about problems with newer ones that we've never had, and features missing on newer ones that ours has had since day one.

I wonder if any RV manufacturer is "building them like they used to"?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:50 PM   #89
Site Team

Hi Phil,
What would be the best feature on your 2005 model that is now missing on the new models? Maybe an idea for a new weekend upgrade project!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #90
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Phil,
What would be the best feature on your 2005 model that is now missing on the new models? Maybe an idea for a new weekend upgrade project!
Thanks, Eagle5
Well ... that's a tough one ... I'll pick some examples of small things that folks complain about or are missing in new(er) Class C rigs that Winnebago seems to have taken care of in ours way back when:

1. We use both the corner bed (the wife needs the whole thing for her bad back) and the overhead cab bed (I use it). Both came from Winnebago with outstanding mattresses on them. The corner bed has a heavy foam one that's still going strong, and the same for the overhead cab bed with its 6 inch thick one.

2. The stock Ford 130 amp alternator deals with the charging of the two 12V 115AH Group 31 deep cycle AGM coach batteries extremely well. With the V10 only idling, the alternator sometimes is dumping 70 amps into those two parallel connected deep cycle batteries. Although we have both the built-in Onan generator and carry along a Honda 650 amp portable generator, I now mostly just idle the V10 to top up the coach batteries when drycamping. The V10 is very quiet and vibration-free when idling, so it's real tempting to just use it now for battery charging.

3. Winnebago installed the gas Onan generator correctly, so it really is not too irritating at all to operate for hours if needed for A/C. We once ran it nearly all night in extreme heat and humidity in order to sleep. We keep the coach interior pressurized when using the generator for long runs so no fumes can enter.

4. Winnebago did not skimp on the size of the propane tank it used in our relatively small (24ft.) Class C. It's water capacity is 18 gallons, so we can fill it with about 15 gallons (60 lbs.) of propane.

5. The Norcold absorption refrigerator was also installed correctly by Winnebago, so it really does keep the refrig section at around 35 degrees and the freezer section at around 0-5 degrees - in all outside temperatures - using only it's mid-range setting of "3" out of it's five cold level settings. I'd never have a compressor refrigerator given the way our quiet low energy drain two-way absorption one (so far) performs.

6. The fully ducted 25,000 BTU furnace and fully ducted 13,500 BTU air conditioner aren't too loud at all inside when using them. There is even both a furnace duct and and A/C duct in the bathroom to keep it comfortable.

7. There is a switch up at the overhead cab bed to turn on a night light back by the bathroom door so one doesn't have to stumble in the dark when going back to the bathroom from that bed in the front (the bathroom is in the rear).

8. There are no appliances under the dinette seats, so that makes available a huge interior storage area for all kinds of things.

9. There is a full size mounted spare tire stored right up between the frame members in the rear - just like in picked trucks. Winnebago also provided a lug wrench for tire changing.

10. The rear bumper is a real one - not a thin walled tube carrying a black tank hose. The black tank hose is stored in a lockable steel walled exterior access cabinet.

11. Access to the gas filler tube is behind a locked door.

12. All sewer valves are up high in a locked steel walled exterior access cabinet - these valves aren't hanging down to get damaged.

13. The motorhome came stock with an outside entertainment center and a hot/cold outside shower
Old 03-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #91
Site Team

Hi Phil,
I opened up the 2005 brochure for the Spirit 24V, and it seems to be the original version of what is now the 22R. Having the 2019 22M myself, and just for fun, I will note the similarities and differences below.
1. While the aft beds have similar quality mattresses, your overhead mattress is 1" thicker.
2. Recharging the house batteries with what is now a 155 amp alternator on the V10 is a great idea. The generator is a bit noisy, so why not?
3. Fourteen years later, I believe the generators are about the same.
4. My Propane tank has the same capacity.
5. My Norcold absorption refrigerator sounds identical to yours, and with a 8.5 Ft3 capacity, I wouldn't change it for anything else. I also run mine on "3."
6. While my air conditioner is ducted, the heater is not. Your dual ducted system is better.
7. I do not have the remote switching from overhead bunk to bath, so I use four small night lights instead.
8. Just two of my three dinette benches are free for storage below.
9. My spare tire was an option, and I needed to purchase separately my lug wrench, bottle jack, and hubcap pry bar.
10. My rear bumper is a square tube which cannot hold my sewer tube. I need to dedicate a Rubbermaid storage tote for its storage. Your design sounds better.
11. My gas cap is unlocked and has no door. Maybe I should buy a locking gas cap?
12. My sewer valves are stiff, as they are cable-actuated. While they hang low, they are not on the critical angle of departure.
13. I have no outside entertainment nor outside shower, however, just having an outside shower might be a form of outside entertainment for others, right? (ha-ha-ha)

The feeling I have when I see how well everything works on my 2019 Minnie Winnie 22M is the bulk of the appliances and layout concepts are the results of continuing to use what works well, and not fixing it if it isn't broken. Thank you for the detailed list, as it is an interesting thing to compare our motorhomes well-established designs to the latest new designs. I believe we have relatively fewer problems because of the continuing design traditions, and a much lower purchasing cost when compared to the Mercedes Motorhomes, which as Martha Stewart likes to say "is a very good thing."
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-04-2021, 08:46 PM   #92
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Phil,
I opened up the 2005 brochure for the Spirit 24V, and it seems to be the original version of what is now the 22R. Having the 2019 22M myself, and just for fun, I will note the similarities and differences below.
1. While the aft beds have similar quality mattresses, your overhead mattress is 1" thicker.
2. Recharging the house batteries with what is now a 155 amp alternator on the V10 is a great idea. The generator is a bit noisy, so why not?
3. Fourteen years later, I believe the generators are about the same.
4. My Propane tank has the same capacity.
5. My Norcold absorption refrigerator sounds identical to yours, and with a 8.5 Ft3 capacity, I wouldn't change it for anything else. I also run mine on "3."
6. While my air conditioner is ducted, the heater is not. Your dual ducted system is better.
7. I do not have the remote switching from overhead bunk to bath, so I use four small night lights instead.
8. Just two of my three dinette benches are free for storage below.
9. My spare tire was an option, and I needed to purchase separately my lug wrench, bottle jack, and hubcap pry bar.
10. My rear bumper is a square tube which cannot hold my sewer tube. I need to dedicate a Rubbermaid storage tote for its storage. Your design sounds better.
11. My gas cap is unlocked and has no door. Maybe I should buy a locking gas cap?
12. My sewer valves are stiff, as they are cable-actuated. While they hang low, they are not on the critical angle of departure.
13. I have no outside entertainment nor outside shower, however, just having an outside shower might be a form of outside entertainment for others, right? (ha-ha-ha)

The feeling I have when I see how well everything works on my 2019 Minnie Winnie 22M is the bulk of the appliances and layout concepts are the results of continuing to use what works well, and not fixing it if it isn't broken. Thank you for the detailed list, as it is an interesting thing to compare our motorhomes well-established designs to the latest new designs. I believe we have relatively fewer problems because of the continuing design traditions, and a much lower purchasing cost when compared to the Mercedes Motorhomes, which as Martha Stewart likes to say "is a very good thing."
Thanks, Eagle5
Your 22M has great tank capacities for it's size ... no doubt about it!

FWIW, the 22R has considerably smaller grey and black capacities than both your 22M and my 2005 24V have.

Also, my 24V has one VERY IMPORTANT additional piece of furniture that neither the 22M nor 22R have. Our 24V has a comfortable swiveling and sliding lounge chair just to the right of the coach entrance door. Rotating it towards the closest opposing dinette seat and sliding it forward enable the lucky user to prop their feet up comfortably on the dinette cushion! This chair is extremely popular in our Class C.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:29 PM   #93
Site Team

Hi Phil,
At just 9" longer than the 22R, Winnebago did manage to fit that lounge chair into the 24V rather nicely. One other advantage of your 24V floorplan is it looks like you have a little bit more floor space in the kitchen area. One advantage of the 22M is its very generous ¾ bath.
I'm off on a little trip in mine on Saturday, and I'm looking forward to it very much.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #94
Winnebago Camper

07 Itasca 35

Getting ready for the summer. Just pulled the cover off and she started right up! Purrs like a kitten.

My leveling system needs a check though, for some reason it raises the rear way too high, so I just do it manually.

Other than that it runs great and everything works.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #95
Winnebago Owner

Are you Happy with your MH???

Bebop, what cover do you use?
Old 03-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #96
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I know there are some people out there that are Happy with their MH. If so let's let the MFG know this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we may not have any problems with it to start with, but are you now Happy with it.
Then let them know.
I'm overall Happy, yeah it could be improved upon but I'm Happy
Hard to say. We picked up our NEW Minnie Winnie 26T March 3rd. We ordered it with the $4500 automatic levelers. At the walk through they were not down so I asked to see them work. Guess what. The passenger rear didn't work at all while the front came down crooked. My questions were :Why wasn't it caught at the factory before shipping? OR,Why didn't the dealer catch it during their "Dealer Prep"? It's our 1st Winnebago so ask me again in a month.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RLABS View Post
Why wasn't it caught at the factory before shipping? OR,Why didn't the dealer catch it during their "Dealer Prep"? It's our 1st Winnebago so ask me again in a month.
Did Winnebago install the leveling system? Or did the dealer? It can be either one.

And why didn't the dealer catch it? Because dealers see our RVs as "units" to be moved off the lot and on to anyone that will sign on the dotted line. Maybe you'll not check too closely before driving off.

If you want everything checked you have to check it yourself and then not close on the deal it if it doesn't work. It's best to never agree to "Just sign here and we'll fix it later." Instead say, fix it and call me when it's done then if done right I'll buy it. You'll be surprised how quickly they can make things right when they know you'll be checking on them before buying.
Closed Thread