Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2020, 02:07 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

We have failed as a country. I am ashamed I belong to society where some have never known real sacrifice like our parents and grandparents did in the Great Depression and World War II. I never met my two of my uncles that lost their lives in 1942, my Dad and his brothers answered the call to serve their country during the war. My mother-in-laws first husband was killed in France in 1944. Her second husband was sent to defend the Aleutian Islands and his brother spent his time as a POW in Germany after his B-17 was shot down. I received the same call thirty years later and gave up two years of my life in the Army on the border of East Germany in an artillery unit. It wasn't what I wanted to do but I answered the call to serve my country and I was just thankful I wasn't on a fire base in Vietnam.

You people can't sacrifice your personal pleasure for the next year or so to help the rest of the vulnerable people of this country avoid the coronavirus, especially the health care staff, nurses and doctors, the police, the nursing home staff and their residents, the grocery store clerks, the service station workers and anyone that can't avoid the public in their jobs. You may have it and give it to someone who can't survive it. Or will pass it to someone that will pass it on to others. It is a proven fact that asymptomatic carriers of the virus can and are spreading this disease. If you get it, will you just think it was your time? Or are you invincible and just think it can't happen to you? Or you don't think it can happen to your loved ones and your community? My home town in the Midwest is the #1 coronavirus hot spot in the country right now. They didn't think it would come there either. Are you really that selfish you think your own immediate pleasure is worth more than someone else's life? The person with asthma, someone that survived cancer or is receiving chemo treatment, someones parents or grandparents? People of all ages are dying from it, even healthy men with no health issues and young mothers in their 20's and 30's. If you don't know this you are willfully ignorant. Is this what we have become? Good God, what is wrong with you people? Shame on you!

Will Rogers once said "Common sense ain't all that common."
Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobstlmo View Post
The “Stay at Home” order is the government saying say away from others to slow the spread of the Covid.

I don’t see the difference from staying in your house, to staying in the middle of Nowhere,
your accomplishing the same thing.
I have said before that I can not think of a safer place to be than isolated in dispersed camping with no one within 1/4 mile or so of your RV, plenty of fresh air and room to exercise without coming in contact with others. I am at home and my neighbors are far closer to me than anyone would be in the boondocks. If I go out to my backyard, even with its solid fence, I am much more likely to breath virus tainted air than I would be in some BLM land.

Of course people should continue to use caution and "social distancing" to avoid spreading this virus everywhere. If we go into a store to shop we use gloves and a mask, and I wash my hands so much that I worry about running out of soap. We remove our shoes after coming into the house to avoid spreading anything that we might have picked up when walking, so I am not taking this business lightly, but we should remember that this is not the second coming of the Bubonic Plague and the rate of infection in some states is extraordinarily low.

Simple math computations show that the rate of infection in some western states is at or below 0.1% so it does seem reasonable to me that some states have much looser stay-at-home rules than others and I think there are plenty of places where people in those states should not feel guilty if they wish to take their RV to some state park for some time out of the house.

It only makes sense to me that the rules on local travel should be related to the seriousness of the issue where the rules apply. If states like Wyoming or Utah, both of which have infection rates below 0.1%, wish to leave their state parks open for RVs then they should not be criticized for doing so. The local government probably knows better than someone from another part of the country what is best for their people.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucehotrods View Post
I received the same call thirty years later and gave up two years of my life in the Army on the border of East Germany in an artillery unit. It wasn't what I wanted to do but I answered the call to serve my country and I was just thankful I wasn't on a fire base in Vietnam.
And I did not wait for "the call". I enlisted in the Army when I was 17 and re-enlisted before I left for civilian life. And then I re-enlisted again when VietNam became a hot war so I don't need to be told that I don't know about sacrifice.

But that does not mean that I believe everyone who decides that they wish to go to a state park in their RV are somehow putting others in danger. Sure, they should not be mixing and they should maintain their social distancing while camping, but Arizona has kept its state parks open for a reason and I don't think it is helpful to try shaming people for doing what the Arizona Governor's office clearly thinks is safe - camping at the state parks and keeping distance from others.

The Wyoming Governor recently said that they did not need to enforce a stay-at-home order because Wyoming has always been a "social distancing" state. That sounds about right to me. What is appropriate for places like New York City, where people are cheek-by-jowl close to each other, may not be appropriate for Wyoming or Montana or Utah or, yes, Arizona. My original home was New York City, and it is THE hot spot in the nation now for the virus, but that does not mean that I think rules that work for there should apply everywhere.

I am not traveling. We are staying home, but that does not mean that I think we should demonize those who decide to do a little safe traveling. I expect people to use common sense and, as I understand it, that is what I gave nearly 9 years of my life to protect - their freedom to move as they wish, provided they follow the rules and travel safely.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #24
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
And I did not wait for "the call". I enlisted in the Army when I was 17 and re-enlisted before I left for civilian life. And then I re-enlisted again when VietNam became a hot war so I don't need to be told that I don't know about sacrifice.

But that does not mean that I believe everyone who decides that they wish to go to a state park in their RV are somehow putting others in danger. Sure, they should not be mixing and they should maintain their social distancing while camping, but Arizona has kept its state parks open for a reason and I don't think it is helpful to try shaming people for doing what the Arizona Governor's office clearly thinks is safe - camping at the state parks and keeping distance from others.

The Wyoming Governor recently said that they did not need to enforce a stay-at-home order because Wyoming has always been a "social distancing" state. That sounds about right to me. What is appropriate for places like New York City, where people are cheek-by-jowl close to each other, may not be appropriate for Wyoming or Montana or Utah or, yes, Arizona. My original home was New York City, and it is THE hot spot in the nation now for the virus, but that does not mean that I think rules that work for there should apply everywhere.

I am not traveling. We are staying home, but that does not mean that I think we should demonize those who decide to do a little safe traveling. I expect people to use common sense and, as I understand it, that is what I gave nearly 9 years of my life to protect - their freedom to move as they wish, provided they follow the rules and travel safely.
Well said and unfortunately common sense in this world of fear and 24 hour a day bombardment of false info to further a cause of fear and loss of our rights that I support under the Constitution.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

I think circumstances can affect decisions. I'm just thankful I don't live in a building that uses common elevators. If I did I think I would probably try to find some place to stay that is more isolated. Fortunately I live in a house, not a multi-family building.

Of course it would be nice for it also to be some place where I could still have delivery.
For example, I know of a private school that probably wouldn't mind having someone camping on their premises to add a bit of security. Ditto with a place that has horse boarding.

But my point is, different situations are different. There is no one size fits all option. And again I'm glad I don't have to step foot on an elevator. If I did my decisions would be different.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

It seems this discussion is pretty much split in its opinions. I am a little surprised that a person who risked there life and the lives of the civilians in the area they fought a war in would say they would just stay home. But that is 100% up to you. I would like to say thank all who fought for my freedoms. You are greatly appreciated. I have done my part to help also. I caught a lot of flack at the beginning of this but happy to hear I am not the only one.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I would like to thank you all for your service to our country. I believe I will unsubscribe and let this thread die into oblivion. Best wishes to all my fellow campers.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #28
Site Team

Maybe this is a good place to put a bow on this discussion as all sides have been heard.

We certainly don't want threads to devolve into name calling and discord.

It's clear that reasonable people differ on this and many other topics. So, lets all agree to disagree peacefully and get back to talking about our Winnebago RVs.