Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question ? New york thruway i-90 ques ?

What's the process for this toll road?...

...Drive thru and they mail you a bill?

...Get entrance ticket and pay when you get off?

FWIW we'll be in coach with toad.

DW & I have a must-do trip to NH & VT and this will be the first time we drive it in 20-25 years. I-90 thru NY state is a major segment of the shortest & quickest route. She's so hyper about this virus thing the trip we'll pretty much be in quarantine on the road, stopping only for gas and naps. No social contact between here and there, and once there it'll be anti-social distancing.

Aside. Tried twice to ask at another, used-to-be-really-popular RVing website, both messages almost immediately removed. Weird...no profanity, nothing in any way off-color...don't understand it. We'll see what happens here.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Where are you coming from on 90? NY is an EzPass state so if you have one of those use it.

We're in Florida but I grew up in Ohio on the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland with I-90 being our fastest way around. When back visiting I picked up an EZpass (portable unit) and run that in the RV. You'll be charged at a higher rate towing the car but it's worth the lower hassle. The nice thing about the portable is that once you are where you are going if you need to you can just put it in the car and drive around.

Last time through NY I think they had a fast-pass lane that didn't require you to stop. The worse part of the drive is going to be the east toll booth near Buffalo. We almost always stop at the Angola rest area just before getting into Buffalo. It's one where you park and walk to the center of the 2 directions to the rest area. They will sell EZPasses there but I think NY is one of the states that charges the most for the account. (I think Ohio charges me $1/month for my account).
Old 07-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The Heart of America - Oklahoma.

No EZ Pass. No desire to get one, don't see us doing much, if any, travel on any of the other state toll roads that use EZ Pass. This will be a once-time trip, don't see us driving up there on future trips after this virus thing quiets down.

My bad. Probably should've said but didn't think to do it. Was tunnel vision on just the tollway.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The most likely /logical reason for your posting problems is that New York is pretty well past their crisis and now are requiring quarantine for folks in the places who are not controlling the virus. Basic idea is that you will be expected to quarantine for 14 days if coming from a "hotspot" and that leaves many of the folks in New York, Conn. and New Jersey wanting any plans for RV travel to stop!
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...BoCnFYQAvD_BwE

We've got the situation so messed up that we are no longer 50 united states but 50 states forming groups to do what they think best to try to get back to normal. They eventually flattened their curve while the rest of the country did not so us folks from Ok and TX are not welcome there!
The odds of getting a $2000 ticket will definitely begin to slow some travel down.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I did the opposite last year, I left VT and ran I-90 out west to Ohio. You will get a “slip” when you get on,
/enter the state and pay when you get off. I don’t know about now but last year there was ample space at the rest areas to overnight, so it’s possible to limit your contact by just staying on the whole way and only get off when done.

Depending on where you are coming from, VT has a 14 day quarantine in effect.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
Site Team

The TXtag transponder sticker works in Oklahoma.

Ez-Pass for the whole east coast

If you do the drive thru pay by mail you'll be charged much more for each toll AND, they'll send you a bill and expect instant payment or add a huge fee. If you're still on your trip... tough.

The TXtag costs very little and they give you a discount every time you have to pay a toll. Same for EZ-Pass.

With EZ-Pass you can buy one from any state. Some charge more for the pass. Some charge a monthly fee EVERY month whether you use it or not.

The most comprehensive, least expensive is the North Carolina NC QuickPass. Works in all EZ-pass states and includes much of Georgia and Florida if you every head that way.

Getting the two passes will save you a ton of money and hassle.

We have both the TXtag and the NC QuickPass on our RV's windshield side by side. Oh, and you put them on the RV and the toad is automatically included (don't put one on the toad when towing unless you want to be charged twice._

We have the same two passes in the Toad in a protective pouch for use when driving the Toad without the RV. The pouch blocks the signal while towing.

In case it's not totally clear - with the pass you just drive through the toll-booth. Your credit card is on file with your account and they make you deposit about $25 to $50 in the account. When you use that up, they recharge another deposit.

Also, during the C-19 many toll booths are not manned. You will be sorry if you don't get that toll tags.