Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
Site Team

Navigating COVID as an RVer

Keep Your Daydream just posted a good video on this topic.

https://youtu.be/IVu_I3W9ZY0
Old 10-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Team

We just got back from a 6 week trip and managed by staying socially distanced, wearing masks when we couldn’t, only ordering takeout, and ordering grocery pickup when possible.

We were traveling with family, and we ate outside and didn’t visit each other’s rigs for the first two weeks. After that, we considered them part of our bubble since we were following the same rules.

It changed the way we traveled, in that we mainly did outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and kayaking. We miss the museums and restaurants and shops, and look forward to when we can visit them freely. In fact, our hearts go our to these small businesses and we looked for ways to support them along the way.

We didn’t run into the quarantining and test requirements that KYD did, since we traveled only in CA, OR, and WA. It must be more prevalent on the east coast, I guess.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We traveled a month long trip this past summer (august) across northern North Dakota, Minnesota, U.P. and Door County Wis.

Our experience was very positive as for covid protection both by campground owners and store folks. As folks visiting we felt it our job to support the locals by visiting their shops, etc.. We always had our masks on, as did the merchants. We carried our bottles of hand sanitizer and used very often. I am not a believer in store pick up as I would rather pick myself than have an unknown grabbing and handling my stuff. But then thats just me.

The states we traveled in and the places we stayed at all took the protection serious. Living in the Branson MO area where folks just do not understand the benefit to all doing the small things to keep safe, Made traveling to the Norther part of the country very enjoyable.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I hear that’s beautiful country! Glad to hear you could travel safely. We agree on the pickup, especially when it comes to fruits and veggies. However, when at home we have several outdoor farm stands close by that we frequent. Wishing you safe and happy travels!
Old 10-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Sounds great Al.
We left Sept 1st for a trip to the Rockies and returned on the 29th. We encountered no problems, stayed almost totally to ourselves and had a great trip:

1 week in Albuquerque, NM
1 week in Delores, CO
10 Days in the National Forest above Durango, CO
4 nights in Santa Fe, NM

Weather was hot to start and hot to finish but in between it was perfect! 71 during the day and 45 at night.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Team

What a great trip! We plan to visit CO and NM next year, our first time in a motorhome, though I was there many times on business.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We left May 12th for a trip from central Arizona up through Western Nevada, up to Spokane and over to Sequim WA. Then down the coast of WA and OR to the redwood forest. Back down the Eastern side of Nevada to central Arizona again. We did nothing different then any other year of RV'ing except wear a mask when mandatory. We went shopping at Walmart and went to church every Sabbath. (At least to the churches that were open) Only 1 RV park didn't let us in the office and did everything outside. Many national and local attractions were open and some were closed. The closed ones just lost out on our money. I will say, several RV parks closed their showers and bathrooms (and clubhouses) with out lowering their price. We enjoyed ourselves regardless.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Sounds like a great trip! We love Sequim! Glad you had no issues with traveling!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We traveled NC to CA and back during the month of September. We isolated in the rig and used some campground facilities occasionally. Masks, wipes and a huge can of Lysol helped us. Many campgrounds were contactless which was helpful. Some places thought we were odd for wearing masks ( go figure). We got our first and only take out food since March on this trip ( to give you an idea how much we avoid contact). We most always bought groceries when stores first open in the mornings. Found a place to hike every day where the trails weren’t busy or sometimes barren. Overall, it was a good trip. One regret was that we couldn’t explore some of the quaint small towns we passed through (keeping distance ya know). So it can be done.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #10
Site Team

That’s a pretty adventurous trip, and sounds like you took good precautions. Glad you had a great time!