Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Haircuts during CV-19

I don't know about you but I want one. Hopefully the barbershops and salons can open soon with the passing of CV-19.

If this goes on much longer I may see how the misses does. On second thought maybe I should just wait...
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My baby doll cut mine yesterday, first time every she has cut hair. Did a pretty good job! I think i will give her some more practice might save 20 bucks a pop when the shops open up.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have a couple of beard trimmers and started using them for touch up on my hair. My wife said not bad, but I can't do the back and I don't know if I trust her to do it. Maybe I'll grow a pony tail!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Of all the problems I have to deal with, the haircut is the smaller type. It's getting my nails done that really KILLS me! I just hate it so much when the purple begins to show through and gets all beat up!
Actually the Flowbee has done my hair since the 60's! For neck trims, the beard trimmer on my razor does that with some help from my wife. Not going to risk dying or killing somebody just so I can look nice. I much prefer a guy in a mask that looks a little odd and may need a haircut but stands back six feet!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Clippers, attachments, hand held mirror, and I go at it. Of course, I don't have to worry about the top.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Site Team

You guys still have hair? What's that like???
Grass doesn't grow on a busy street.
Eagle5 - Home of the wax-polished dome.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My wife trained as a stylist, so I am doing alright. Grandma always cut grandpa's hair, always thought it must be another skill dying out.

Used to shave it bald. High maintenance, but always looked good.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

SWMBO has told me she is going to shave the back of my neck so that will buy me some more time. Maybe a buzz is in my future?? I know I can do that.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Those dollar stores with food are still open and they often carry a haircutting kit for less than $10. Harbor Freight might too. It comes with several standoffs so you can cut your own hair and not worry about cutting it to short. If you're single and a full-timer, having one is almost a necessity. Every once in a while, I have to have a hair cut where it's not possible to just run to the barber and with the kit, I can do a half-decent job on myself. Don't use it all the time of course, just occasionally. This might be one of those times here in another week.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Old 04-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Those dollar stores with food are still open and they often carry a haircutting kit for less than $10. Harbor Freight might too. It comes with several standoffs so you can cut your own hair and not worry about cutting it to short. If you're single and a full-timer, having one is almost a necessity. Every once in a while, I have to have a hair cut where it's not possible to just run to the barber and with the kit, I can do a half-decent job on myself. Don't use it all the time of course, just occasionally. This might be one of those times here in another week.
Good advice Jim. I'll check out one of those two stores in our area. I wondered how some full timers were dealing with this task.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We actually have used a Flowbee setup that has done the job since the 60's. I was in the air force and money was a definite issue, so I had always gone to a shop at the prison (Leavenworth!) where the lifers ran the shop. When I got married, the new wife could not handle the idea of a double murderer giving me a shave, so she wound up with the job!
WOW! Just did a check on Flowbee and the price has definitely gone up!
Can't recommend it at this price.
https://www.flowbee.com/order_page.htm
Of course the cost of haircuts has gone up also.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Yep! I was buzzing with the #2 attachment but DW eventually asked if I could grow some. (hair that is) With the present day situation I went to the #3. She still thinks it's to short. Next I'll try a #4.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
Site Team

I can only go as low as 5 on the sides and back and this last "self" cut (with the wife's assistance) went with a 7 which is 7/8 of an inch on the top section where I can still grow hair. She tells me there is a hole starting in the back but I can't see it so I pretend it's not there.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Good advice Jim. I'll check out one of those two stores in our area. I wondered how some full timers were dealing with this task.
There is a place within 10 miles from my house that does haircuts for $7. In my case genetics took half and I am capable of doing the rest. i just place the clipper blades against my head and continue until the side matches the top. But usually, I get mine done at the $7 shop. And will again when they re-open.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

In Florida our barber shops and salons were allowed to open yesterday following guidelines.

I plan to go tomorrow. Fortunately northwest Florida has had very few covid cases.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I think I will continue with the time honored tradition of having my wife cut my hair today. Will be my 3rd haircut during the lock-down. Beats paying $19+tip at the barber shop, just missing the hot towel, shoulder massage, and edging with a straight edge razor.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
I think I will continue with the time honored tradition of having my wife cut my hair today. Will be my 3rd haircut during the lock-down. Beats paying $19+tip at the barber shop, just missing the hot towel, shoulder massage, and edging with a straight edge razor.
Consider yourself fortunate. Trimming hair isn't one of my wife's attributes.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
Probably good to forgo the straight edge razor, at least in the hands of a wife during a period of lock-up.

I was able to do most my own hair with the various beard trimming tools I have, but did need to wife to touch up the back. I did joke I might keep it up to save the $$$, but actually it would be more to save the wait times.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Yesterday pulled my electric hair cutting kit out of the cabinet and proceeded to give myself a trim. It was looking like I was on the way to becoming a crazed professor before I started.

And for once, the stars were with me and it turned out great! In the past, I've often botched some part of it, this time it looks pretty good, is off my neck, and up off the ears.

I would much rather pay $19 at a shop.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Old 05-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I can't think of any thing more contagious that you can do in a shop (at least that is legal ) than getting a haircut. Someone stands over you within a foot or two and breathes on you (and you breathe on them part of the time) for 20 minutes.

And don't begin to think that wearing masks will protect you. Unless it is an N95 mask which blocks 95% of small particles or a surgical mask which blocks about 70% of small particles, masks do very little good. They probably mitigate a sneeze or a cough by an infected person but normal breathing, no.

My hair was getting shaggy, so I bought a set of Remington electric clippers. $30 on Amazon but it took two weeks for delivery because of high demand. I ran a #3 attachment over my head and left a pound of hair on the bathroom floor. Looks great and I now don't have to comb it.

I am never going back to a barber shop.

David