Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Grey water tank smell

I have a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. It is equipped with a washer/dryer combo that hasn't been used in over 3 years. I am sure that the p-trap on the washer drain is dry. I don't want to run a wash/dry cycle every month or so, just to fill the trap. If I don't run the dry cycle, the washer will develop an oder of it's own. I'm considering just removing the unit to eliminating the extra weight and then capping the drain. Anyone have an easier solution?
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's one of those cases where we kindof wish life was simple again!
Washers are nice if we needthembut a pain when we don't.

I might suggest the smell from the tank could be capped off pretty easy ----if you can reach the drain pipe without pulling the washer???

The vaccuum breaker should just be a flap and fall closed and not need any work.

The washer itself may be more trouble if it has a pump, etc that leaves some water in the machine to turn sour and smell. Best I might offer might be run a half cup of bleach through as last thing, so that the chlorine might hold off the bacteria growing to make the smell?

Any ways to get the washer really dried totally?

Pulling the whole thing out sounds pretty drastic, if something else works? But then if not used, the washer is taking up space and a load to haul around.
But I'm thinking it's a load to pull out, too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smelll.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	183412  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

This is a single washer/dryer unit, so if you run it thru the drying cycle the unit is pretty dry. Being a single unit also means that the drying cycle is longer than normal, because it has to dry the machine along with the clothes. There is no access to the drain hose, without pulling the machine out, which is bolted down. I could pull it out, cap the drain and turn off the inlet water but at that point I may as well just remove it and eliminate the weight. That would also increase my storage capacity. Being a 10 year old unit, not having a washer/dryer will have minimal effect on resale value. Ten year old appliances have little to no resale value.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that I could access the washer/dryer drain and fill hoses by removing the bottom 2 slide out shelves in the compartment above the washer/dryer. I turned off the fill spigots and plugged the drain pipe with a rubber plug, which I taped in place. I couldn't find a cap to fit the drain pipe because it isn't a standerd PVC size. The drain hose from the washer/dryer was only about 1/2 the diameter of the drain pipe and was held in place with a non-sealing wrap of duct tape.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Upon further investigation I found that if I removed the bottom 2 slide out shelves from the compartment above the washer/dryer, I do indeed have access to the fill and drain hoses. I bought a rubber stopper, inserted it in the drain pipe and taped it in place. I then turned both water spigots off. The drain pipe is not a standerd PVC size, so I couldn't find a cap to fit it. The drain hose from the dryer was only about 1/2 the diameter of the drain pipe. It was held in place with duct tape but nowhere near being sealed.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for following up with your solution.
Hope this works for you.

Tags
smell, tank, water